Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Oct 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #256 of 12,295
  I do understand perspectives of brain/headphones system fine-tuning process... But does it really worth trying considering the price of Stax 009 system and Abyss system? The question is open for me now )) 

That's for you to decide. I was merely sharing how the 009 isn't bass deficient. More to the point, I find it to be the ultimate headphone for metal - where price isn't even a consideration.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #258 of 12,295
Thank you so much for the thread, it helps so much.
Any word on the senheiser HD 25?

Sorry, had no opportunity to try them.
Started Focal Spirit Pro vs Mad Dogs vs Beyers T70 session. And trying hard to find some time to finish Stax 007/009 review translation...

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #260 of 12,295
Great thread levap. Keep it up!

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #261 of 12,295

Can't wait to read it!

Any chance you'll test out the Abyss AB-1266 anytime soon?

BTW, latest spreadsheet version including Stax marks is here (http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=26832&st=825) and my marks on non-metal music are here (http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=28370).

Had a chance to get Abyss this weekend for the review, but for technical reasons review is delayed, I hope not for long (crossing fingers for luck). 

Great thread levap. Keep it up!

beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #262 of 12,295
Great thread!
I cant listen to most Black Metal anymore after really getting into audio quality ....it feels like someone is scratching inside my ears with sandpaper. I never noticed it before (althought the Dragonfly DAC is prob not helping tbh)
I can only tolerate it with my Fostex but i have tweaked them towards listening to metal...
I was thinking about maybe getting some HD600/650s eventually to make it more tolerable mostly for my girlfriend who suffers from hyperacusis  (high sensitivity to high freq)
I heard they are quite "dark" sounding which might be a big more comfortable on the ears when it comes to most metal?
I would love to try some of your suggestions though...especially the Shure SRH840 and Denon D600s

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #263 of 12,295
  BTW, latest spreadsheet version including Stax marks is here (http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=26832&st=825) and my marks on non-metal music are here (http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?showtopic=28370).

Had a chance to get Abyss this weekend for the review, but for technical reasons review is delayed, I hope not for long (crossing fingers for luck). 

Yeah...I only speak English, so I'll have to wait for your translation.

Glad to hear that you'll be able to test out the Abyss! I'm especially interested in how it compares to the SR-009 and HE-6.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #264 of 12,295
I was thinking about maybe getting some HD600/650s eventually to make it more tolerable mostly for my girlfriend who suffers from hyperacusis  (high sensitivity to high freq)
I heard they are quite "dark" sounding which might be a big more comfortable on the ears when it comes to most metal?
I would love to try some of your suggestions though...especially the Shure SRH840 and Denon D600s

It's more comfortable on every music. But what is more natural "dark" or "bright"? ))
You can also try Philips X1, extra-dark, extremly comfortable sound. 

Glad to hear that you'll be able to test out the Abyss! I'm especially interested in how it compares to the SR-009 and HE-6.

Unfortunately, I own HE-6 only, so comparison Abyss/009 will be memory based. Anyway, on metal I don't think, that 009 have chances vs Abyss or HE-6 )) Jazz, progressive rock - another story...

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #266 of 12,295
almost bought some denon d600s yesturday but went for sen hd650s instead...hope i made a good choice....did not tick many of your boxes for metal

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #267 of 12,295
I'm awaiting your thoughts on the mad dogs. Theyre my current headphone and closed are a must for my environment, so i'll be interested to see where you think they stack up

I'm done with Focal Spirit Pro, planning to finish with Mad Dogs this weekend.

almost bought some denon d600s yesturday but went for sen hd650s instead...hope i made a good choice....did not tick many of your boxes for metal

Good choice! In a long run 650 are a far more interesting cans, than D600. Wish you a happy journey with cable and amplification tuning )

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #268 of 12,295
Unfortunately, I own HE-6 only, so comparison Abyss/009 will be memory based. Anyway, on metal I don't think, that 009 have chances vs Abyss or HE-6 )) Jazz, progressive rock - another story...

Which amp(s) will you be able to use with the Abyss? If you power your HE-6 with a speaker amp, it would only be fair to use the best amp you can with the Abyss as well.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #269 of 12,295

Which amp(s) will you be able to use with the Abyss? If you power your HE-6 with a speaker amp, it would only be fair to use the best amp you can with the Abyss as well.

Currently I use Accuphase P-300L, if the owner of Abyss-es won't object I'll try them with Accuphase.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #270 of 12,295
  Currently I use Accuphase P-300L, if the owner of Abyss-es won't object I'll try them with Accuphase.

Hm...not sure how good of a match that one is. All I can do is hope it pairs well.

The Schiit Audio Ragnarok is one of the best matches (I'll probably buy it), but I'm assuming you won't be able to get your hands on it for your test.

I'm sure you know that you need to adjust the headband and ear pads to get an optimal fit, avoiding forming a complete seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back