Headphones for classical music mostly
Dec 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #46 of 54
ma 900 does not need an amp. You can connect these phones in different devices, such as, computer, ipod etc., If you notice significant difference in SQ, then you could think of going for a dac/amp.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #47 of 54
  ma 900 does not need an amp. You can connect these phones in different devices, such as, computer, ipod etc., If you notice significant difference in SQ, then you could think of going for a dac/amp.

I've always found a Dac/amp adds a nice amount of quality. The dac provides a clean signal, and the amp adjusts the amplitude of that signal [and can add some color]

Still I've never JUST used a dac, but I think the Fiio E10 would be an excellent match for the MA900, the Fiio E07k might be as well. Fiio makes a nice introductary product ;D  

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #48 of 54
I have just got my mdr ma900 and i can say i am not rly thrilled they seems not much better then my previous siberia v2 (i bought for 40$) Thea are not colorful enough somehow boring to me (dead sound). Myb my expectation where too high. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #49 of 54
  I have just got my mdr ma900 and i can say i am not rly thrilled they seems not much better then my previous siberia v2 (i bought for 40$) Thea are not colorful enough somehow boring to me (dead sound). Myb my expectation where too high. 

... return it and get a DT 990 :D

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #50 of 54
If you do get the DT990 (I recommend it, I love my DT770s for classical) definitely get a dac/amp. You can go relatively cheap and get decent volume and good sound, or spend a little more for a higher powered amp, and you won't regret it. 250 ohms needs a fair bit of power if you want a lot of volume. If I could only afford an inexpensive amp then definitely get that, or find the lower ohm DT990s. 

If that's too rich for your blood, then maybe the DT440 (open back) or DT660 (closed back) both of which have great comfort and very good sound but are 32 ohms and much easier to drive. There's a thread in the full sized headphone board about the DT660s for classical that's quite intriguing. They're a bit flatter than the 990s so you might not want that if you want more "excitement". OTOH, the detail and imagery of the DT 440 through 990 are quite good. Open back will have a wider sound stage.

Edited to add: Also yes as mentioned earlier the quality of the source music is critical for classical. Find top notch recordings in lossless formats for best sound. I'm listening to Dvorak's 9th by the Slovak Symphony in flac and the sound it exceptional for what I am certain is an older recording.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #51 of 54
its a tricky to get it back. I ordered it to my sister friend which was in Netherlands at college and now she came home for vacation and brought it. It would not be polite to ask her to get it back and spend her time returning it couse she left a box there in Netherlands and brought me a headphones with warranty and wearing bag (couse of customs so i avoided VAT etc...) and i am not even sure i would like 990pro better. Btw how does good amp for 990 pro costs and do i need DAC for it.

Btw what are the best places to dl high quality music of different genres and what should i look for when dl-ing is mp3 320kbps enough?

P.S. Is my galaxy note smartphone good source?

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #52 of 54
Hi,

Give your mind some time to become comfortable with the new sound (20 hours should be enough). Recording quality is one of the most important links in the sound quality chain. Most modern recordings are compressed and tend to sound lifeless. Here you have a good dynamic range data base.
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

You should consider Chesky Records, Telarc, FIM, Harmonia Mundi, ECM Records, etc.

Some great sounding albums to consider are:

Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Sophie Zelmani - The Ocean and Me
Acoustic Alchemy - Against The Grain
Anna Netrebko - Souvenirs
Zhao Cong - Dance in the Moon
Anne Akiko Meyers - Air - The Bach Album

Best Luck!

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #54 of 54
i went here http://www.qobuz.com/album/moonlight-sonata-hammerklavier-sonata-beethoven/0669910423950?qref=dac_4 to listen some piano classical and some notes was just awful sounding i dont know is it normal but high notes especially if loud one treble too much i dont know how to explain that they are not clear they just sound awful for 200$ headphones... 

example is the first song when cursor(of timer) come to leather Moonlight so(N)ata or later at N(o.)14 -there is no timer... if u know what i mean :) I hope u can get it 

here is another place where i can hear distortions clearly  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyC-Ss2wtc 1:15  

just hear this masterpiece http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmj1bMR4Mo do u hear distortions with your headphones some tones are perfect but high and loud tones are awful hurt my ears ...:frowning2: is it source mistake or just headphones not doing well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back