Headphones for classical music mostly
Dec 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

markidjani

New Head-Fier
Hello guys i am new to this forum as a member and i need your help. I have spent over 10 hours searching for all kind of treads on this forum 
To sum it up i want headphones with a excellent sound quality (clear  i will use it mostly for listening classical music(mostly piano example:Moonlight sonata, Beethoven ) but i want for them to be overly good in every genre not to lack too much of bass etc. Hd598 would be perfect choice from my standing point if i could find it for 170 $ (as some says could be found). I will use it mostly in my room but its a +if they are portable. I prefer quality over quantity and comfort is a MUST couse i would spending about 4 hours daily with them at least.

1.Sennheiser hd598- I prefer them but cant find it to ship to my country below 350$. (dont need amp)
2.Sennheiser hd580- Hard to find (300ohms-need amp?)
2.Beyerdinamic dt990 (880)- Very affordable about 150$ but i am worried about heavy bass and low mids.  (250 ohms -need amp?)

Some of the others:
AKG k701(601) or q701 if i am able to find it at good price(myb used) but not sure if they are what i need, 
mdr-sa3000

Budget: up to 150-180$ if i need amp (Will get amp only if the sound is really too low or of it gonna improve sound quality                                                      The option is to get headphones now and by amp latter spending around 100$ for it)                                
          up to 180-220(*max) if i dont 

I am open for any suggestion beside those phones and would really appreciate your opinion of those listed and any others u have in mind.

P.S. I am newbie in this field

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 54
Not really sure what the best option is, as I don't listen to huge amounts of classical, but you need not worry about the Beyers having too much bass. They can be easily EQ'd to have tonnes of bass, but the reality is they're fairly neutral.

You could get a 32 ohm version of those Beyers, but I think those are pricier. But then you don't need to bother getting an equally pricey amplifier. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 54
Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohm is a great pick for classical. Be sure of getting good quality Dac and Amp like Fiio E10 (or Fiio E07K/17 if you want to add some extra equalization capabilities or if you are also going to use it as a portable headphone amp).
DT990's (250 Ohm) impedance graph goes up to 390 Ohm then this headphones are pretty hard to drive. But it is not only about how loud you can get, good quality Dac and Amp will make your headphone sounds its best.
 "A chain is no stronger than its weakest link"

Their sound is transparent, and their mids are really textured, particulary great for the sound of cellos in my opinion. Thay are still pretty neutral, here you can compare frequency responses with Sennheiser HD800 2013 which is considered one of the most neutral headphones in the world.

Also good all rounder (but only for well recorded music). Using Beyerdynamic DT990 with poorly recorded music will make you come here and complain about how bright they are, sibilance issues, cold sound, and all things that most people tend to say when write about DT990.
One of the most misunderstood headphones in history!

Best Luck!

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 54
I am not sure about Beyerdynamic there is lot of differnet opinion. To make you easier i will mostly use them with my pc sometimes with Sandisk Sansa Clip or my phone and listen to 320kbps music. Can u tell me what u think about mdr ma900 and dt440. Thanks for answers guys.

One more very important thing - i would mostly use them while i am studying. So i guess they need to have deep and clear very precise not so energetic sound. 

English is not my native language i hope i havent mislead u with those adjectives( deep and clear very precise not so energetic sound-THE SOUND THAT HELP U THINKING AND CONCENTRATE )  but u can imagine what a man needs when he is studying for the exams at the college. :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 54
  Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohm is a great pick for classical. Be sure of getting good quality Dac and Amp like Fiio E10 (or Fiio E07K/17 if you want to add some extra equalization capabilities or if you are also going to use it as a portable headphone amp).
DT990's (250 Ohm) impedance graph goes up to 390 Ohm then this headphones are pretty hard to drive. But it is not only about how loud you can get, good quality Dac and Amp will make your headphone sounds its best.
 "A chain is no stronger than its weakest link"

Their sound is transparent, and their mids are really textured, particulary great for the sound of cellos in my opinion. Thay are still pretty neutral, here you can compare frequency responses with Sennheiser HD800 2013 which is considered one of the most neutral headphones in the world.

Also good all rounder (but only for well recorded music). Using Beyerdynamic DT990 with poorly recorded music will make you come here and complain about how bright they are, sibilance issues, cold sound, and all things that most people tend to say when write about DT990.
One of the most misunderstood headphones in history!

Best Luck!

I agree go with the DT 990, I REALLY enjoyed classical with mine! And something like the Fiio e10 or E17 if you can afford it would be good! 

Not to mention the DT 990 is super comfortable! 

Dec 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 54
  can u comment on mdr ma900 i want to hear more about them:)

I've not heard them sadly, how ever I think the DT 990 Pro is cheaper, at $150 new 

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 54
yes but i think mdr ma900 can be used on mp3/smartphone/ipod etc without amp since their ohms are 18 (i know its not only factor) which is more practical and cheaper, portable amps are expensive as i know and dt990 need one if i am right for both pc and mp3/smartphone/ipod ? Am i rght?

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 54
  Yes but I think MDR MA900 can be used on mp3/smartphone/iPod etc without amp since their ohms are 18 (i know its not only factor) which is more practical and cheaper, portable amps are expensive as i know and dt990 need one if i am right for both PC and mp3/smartphone/iPod ? Am i right?

So far the Sony MDR-MA900 sound like the best pick for headphones to get.
With any DT880/DT990 model, you really have to use them with a decent amplifier.

The MA900 are not consider headphones for rough use.
You might consider getting lower costing headphones like the JVC HA-S400 or HA-S500 or HA-S680 for when traveling.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 54
tnx for the answer but what do u consider as descent amp (sugestions for poratble and home or price range) . Are they going to give me noticeable better sound with this amp then non-amp mdr ?

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 54
  tnx for the answer but what do u consider as descent amp (suggestions for portable and home or price range) . Are they going to give me noticeable better sound with this amp then non-amp mdr ?

The Fiio E11 ($63, USA) is a battery powered amplifier, but you can get a spare battery and a simple AC battery recharger, so one battery can be used while another battery is being recharge.
The Schiit Magni or O2 (Objective 2) desktop headphone amplifiers, $100-$120, are a good value.
Usually using an amplifier over a non-amplifiered jack will improve audio quality of any headphones, some headphones respond to an amplifier more then others.
Just about any portable audio player, mp3 player, digital audio player, smart phone, IPhone, iPod, etc has a headphone amplifier (some better then others).
Desktop computers usually do not come with a headphone amplifier built in, but can still drive lower impedance headphones decently.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 54
First, if you can't find K598, you can easily mod K558 to sound like it.

I've seen reviews calling MA900 "the poor man's HD600," but I haven't heard it myself.

K701 and its variants, DT880, and HD580/600 are all good choices for use with an amp. I don't recommend DT990 over them for classical because it's less neutral.

Have you checked the For Sale board here? If you do, look more closely at feedback from other buyers than sellers.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 54
  Hi,

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohm is a great pick for classical

are we talking about pro or premium?

Ok guys i have found someone who will bring me phones from abroad so the price inst factor anymore 

now can u make your final list from best to worst  (with or without amp)  hd 598, mdr ma900, dt990 and dt880
to repeat: clear, deep, precise, big soundstage, emotional sound not too intrusive sound, good bass(not need to be strong) will use them mostly while studing with classical music(piano mostly) its a plus if they can be played normally without amp but not so important 
P.S. I need fast answers if its possible, need to order till tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back