Headphones and bicycles - a bad combination?
Apr 11, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 36
the reason i bike with canalphones is that i want to hear music not the wind..... i dont know, i am always careful so i still use my Ety's.

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #17 of 36
I ride to school w/ my d33's (same design as the d66's) and they work great.. but when your actually biking (road or mountain) and actually exerting yourself, closed headphone design gets a little hot and uncomfortable. I don't own a pair of canal phones, but i borrowed a friends while riding around campus and noticed a LOT of wind noise still. I ride some long road rides during the summer (50-75 miles) and i've previously used some crappy pioneer clip-ons but i'd really like to find something that keeps the wind noise to a minimum.

I agree canal phones could be dangerous, but if u check your mirrors and ride in groups it might not be that big of a deal. Of course, then you can't hear when the people in front of u yell clear when crossing streets either. Hmmm.. Maybe listen mono w/ some canal phones in one ear?

Apr 11, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by crypt@
I heard it is illegal to bike riding with headphones in US, but then what do I know...

I know that the law about driving is that it can only cover one ear. This allows cellular headsets to be used, I guess. I don't know the law about bikes, but it may be the same.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 36
First off, riding with headphones of any sort is not recommended for people with limited experience or skill. That said, I ride 16 km to work every day with Sharp MDR 33 canalphones. These don't block much noise but deliver acceptable sound... and ah, nothing makes a ride more fun than music!

I also ride a decent ride on a Sunday morning, if racing I don't listen to music (I think that is banned) but if training I do. And training would be tough or even boring without either company or music. I like to alternate rides with either friends or music... friends for fun and music for serious pacing.

I think the music forces you to remain very sharp and alert, fully aware of your surroundings, less reliant on sound as a warning. I know I "look" behind more often and am always straining my ears for background tell tale sounds. I have never had a road accident involving another vehicle (other than a bicycle... but racing does have its own risks). And I do about 10,000 km a year.

Oh, one last thing, I think canalphones are actually safer as they have less mass and fall off less often (very rare with either Sony EX71 or Sharp MDR33).

TonyAAA

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 36
I use my UE10-Pro on bike rides, with a 10 foot cord leading to the XP-7 which is stowed in the pack behind the seat. Most of the time, I don't use them when I'm actually on the bike, but suppose I could in low traffic areas. It's nice to bring music along for the breaks.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #21 of 36
http://www.law4hogs.com/laws/minnesota.html

Some states allow heapdhones while on motorcyclers, some states allow only one ear, and some states don't allow headphones on motorcyclers at all. In Minnesota it's only one ear allowed.

http://www.mncriticalmass.org/html/laws.html

But its illegal to wear headpones at all, while riding a bike!

I realize riding a bike and motorcycle are two different things, but I think that it all depends on what state you are in for bicycles as well.

Apr 11, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I use my UE10-Pro on bike rides, with a 10 foot cord leading to the XP-7 which is stowed in the pack behind the seat. Most of the time, I don't use them when I'm actually on the bike, but suppose I could in low traffic areas. It's nice to bring music along for the breaks.

I don't know if you're serious, but I have to say it:
UE10-Pro, on a bike?! That sounds insane!
My
etysmile.gif
does not belong on bike rides,
Abe

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I don't know if you're serious, but I have to say it:
UE10-Pro, on a bike?! That sounds insane!
My
etysmile.gif
does not belong on bike rides,
Abe

Ya, why not? They fit perfectly. I can't see how they could be damaged, unless I take a major tumble, in which case I'd have bigger worries. But for the most part, they just sit in the tote bag under the seat, and then I use them at the beach once I get there.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by phobus
Any city riding with headphones on is asking for trouble. The only bike I'd ride while listening to headphones would be a stationary one.

I agree with that one, it's just safer where I live to not take such a risk.

I still can't help but LOL when it comes to something on my head that costs more than my bike when riding. I just don't get the concept, I guess. But listening on the beach is all good, and keep doing it, is all I can say. The beaches of Port Orford are so much much nicer through 'phones!

I'll be wearing my
etysmile.gif
if I go there again,
Abe

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

I still can't help but LOL when it comes to something on my head that costs more than my bike when riding. I just don't get the concept, I guess.

That's true, Abe, but there are some "bike" guys on head-fi who have way more than the cost of a pair of UE's tied up in their wheels. I'm not one of them, although I do have a nice new Specialized bike (it cost a little over $300) thanks to a head-fi thread that gave me a lot of good information. Of course, I still need to get a helmet, a light, tire pump, and all of those other accessories that I'm sure will somehow seem 'necessary' next time I visit the bike shop.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
That's true, Abe, but there are some "bike" guys on head-fi who have way more than the cost of a pair of UE's tied up in their wheels. I'm not one of them, although I do have a nice new Specialized bike (it cost a little over $300) thanks to a head-fi thread that gave me a lot of good information. Of course, I still need to get a helmet, a light, tire pump, and all of those other accessories that I'm sure will somehow seem 'necessary' next time I visit the bike shop.

LOL some more... I was able to get all the necessities(bottle, mini pump, rear view mirror, new lines, good brake shoes, and some other junk) onto a refurbished bike that I cleaned up for less than $50 altogether. It still needs a little work here and there, but a fixer-upper like that can be made as good as new with a little know-how.

I'm low budget for life,
Abe

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

LOL some more... I was able to get all the necessities(bottle, mini pump, rear view mirror, new lines, good brake shoes, and some other junk) onto a refurbished bike that I cleaned up for less than $50 altogether. It still needs a little work here and there, but a fixer-upper like that can be made as good as new with a little know-how.

I'm low budget for life,
Abe

I'm going low budget on my next bike too. My last bike got stolen from the bike locker by some theiving bastards! Not worth the hassle.

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by phobus
I'm going low budget on my next bike too. My last bike got stolen from the bike locker by some theiving bastards! Not worth the hassle.

Nice! Hey, if you have a G.I. Joe's or Fred Meyer up dere in Canada(oh how I wish I were there right now) you might be able to find Bell brand parts or comparable stuff in other stores. I've had my bottle for around four years and still love it. My pump still works too, and is very compact.

Straight outta loca$h,
Abe

Apr 12, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #30 of 36
He, he, I race against guys with $3000 wheelsets... and some of them have a spare set!

But one thing I didn't mention is that volume levels while cycling I keep low. In fact, travelling at 45-50 km/hr means the music is just background to the wind noise.

I must admit at first the idea of cycling with music made me conjur up a mental image of the idea of Zhaphod Beeblebrox (did I spell that right) had: that is, of not seeing danger approach making you enjoy yourself more!!!

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back