Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #241 of 437
Hi cooperpwc,

I agree with PP's bass but overall, pp is one of the best amp i have ever owned.

Great sound overall, great design and attention to detail. I am a big fan of Justin's amp. I will look for Shoshine to try them with my PP.

What other amps do you have? I know we both like FAD PF so there is a similarity for taste.

The Soshine's finally ran out. I didn't time it but if they reached 30 hours I would not be surprised. Glad to see that battery death was instant and accompanied by loss of the power light - no slow deterioration in SQ. This fast death is to be expected with Lithium-ions and I like it.

Swapping batteries is indeed simple. Fresh set installed in about a minute and I am good to go for another 20-30 hours.

The Pico Power is a bass monster with IEMs. It is not some crummy bass boost or skewed frequency response; it is clean power that affects different IEMs to different extents. Across the board, anyone who thinks that IEMs don't change much with amplification has to try this amp. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #242 of 437
Quote:
Hi cooperpwc,

I agree with PP's bass but overall, pp is one of the best amp i have ever owned.

Great sound overall, great design and attention to detail. I am a big fan of Justin's amp. I will look for Shoshine to try them with my PP.

What other amps do you have? I know we both like FAD PF so there is a similarity for taste.

For portable amps, I own the Headsix, Stepdance, Quickstep, Pico Slim and Pico Power. If there seems to be a bias there, there truly is. I think that Jan Meier and Justin Wilson are in a different category than most others in the portable amp industry - and living close to Hong Kong, I get to hear the other amps regularly.

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #244 of 437
I would estimate around £80-90(max) on customs if he set the full value of the amp on the customs form. We also get taxed on shipping charges.  When I ordered my 4ai which was 454usd with shipping I paid around £70-80.

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #245 of 437
Wow - I feel bad for you chaps... It might be easier to have someone buy it, and then send it. That way they can lower the customs value. I do that all the time for my international sales. 
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #246 of 437
Quote:

For portable amps, I own the Headsix, Stepdance, Quickstep, Pico Slim and Pico Power. If there seems to be a bias there, there truly is. I think that Jan Meier and Justin Wilson are in a different category than most others in the portable amp industry - and living close to Hong Kong, I get to hear the other amps regularly.

I suspect you are on to something here...

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #247 of 437
It's great to be near the HIfi Mecca of Asia (other than Japan).
It's very rare to be able to audition bunch of great amps in that close proximity in HK.

I heard good things about Meier Amps but have no chance to listen to them.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #249 of 437
Quote:
Black Serial #222 in the house

No customs duty. Suspious.... (I know its a misspelling, am shortening my words these days)

Black has to look good.

Here is a picture that I posted in the FAD thread. The focus is on the 1601SC but you can see how the Pico Power in Orange suits my favourite rig.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #250 of 437
That orange reminds me of Barcelona holiday. Would be great if Justin can eventually have HQ shots of all colour choices on the site. Chose black as 'safe' and to match new DAC

Sorry for Nexus 4 photo. My iMac has stopped recognising external SD reader after years of playing ball. Grrr

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #252 of 437
how do you remove the screws for the battery without messing up the paint job? They are so darn tight.....I must be doing something wrong

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #253 of 437
Quote:
how do you remove the screws for the battery without messing up the paint job? They are so darn tight.....I must be doing something wrong

i had an employee do the tightening of the nuts and he may have had a different idea than me of what is slightly tighter than by hand alone.  if i shipped them hand tightened only, the nuts can shake loose in shipping and then could fall off if the new buyer doesn't make sure they're tight. 

I've been trying to find a small slotted screwdriver made entirely of plastic.  i'm not coming up with anything so far. so i would just put a couple layers of tape around the tip of a small slotted screwdriver and you should be able to loosen them that way.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #254 of 437
I can't remember if I posted my impressions with the AK100 here or not (and I'm being too lazy to search). I have a Mezzo-modded AK100, which allows it to work properly with multiple-BA IEMs by bypassing the resistors at the output. That works very well, but adding the Pico Power results in a significant improvement in soundstage and instrument separation with acoustic music especially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back