HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Mar 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #467 of 1,464
bowei006, When I went across the border to ship them back, FedEx wouldn't offer me insurance on the ground shipping Justin asked me to use. Shipping was $22.11 to you. The guy literally said "We don't do that" but also said "We will cover damages for the lowest cost possible for replacement" Anyway, the important thing is that the LCD-2's made it to you safely and are now on to the next person. Things are smooth again YAY! 

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #468 of 1,464
Quote:
bowei006, When I went across the border to ship them back, FedEx wouldn't offer me insurance on the ground shipping Justin asked me to use. Shipping was $22.11 to you. The guy literally said "We don't do that" but also said "We will cover damages for the lowest cost possible for replacement" Anyway, the important thing is that the LCD-2's made it to you safely and are now on to the next person. Things are smooth again YAY! 

Yep, got here nice and safe and on to MLE :)

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #469 of 1,464

Mad Dogs on the left.

Huh... INTERESTING.

Just got the leather LCD2.

Side by side comparison to the vegan LCD2...

It's subtle but... the vegan has slightly MORE bass, while the leather has slightly MORE mids. :eek:

Don't have much time to test this out today, but I will put up my findings later. As of right now, it's a miniscule difference.

They really are within a hair of each other in sound. I'll have to pay special attention to the treble range, as that's where I noted the difference before.

The leather is definitely a smidge warmer overall. It wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't compare directly like this. The vocals on the leather are fuller/slightly more organic.

The vegan is right there next to it though, and is CONSIDERABLY more comfortable. So if you want a more neutral tone, the vegan is the way to go.

edit: They're ultimately the same exact headphone. I've heard two EXACT headphones with the same exact pads sound more different than these two LCD2s with different pads. So, honestly, I'd recommend getting whichever you feel would benefit you most. I DO like the leather LCD'2s slight warmth over the vegan, so it's my keeper. But it's too close to call.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #474 of 1,464
DAT HE-500!

If only I hadn't spent over 2 grand on my new laptop+stuff. :frown:

I would TOTALLY buy that HE-500 for that price.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #475 of 1,464
Quote:
In case anyone is interested, I have put up a bunch of open box headphones here: http://www.headamp.com/order/returns.htm

Can you hold one for me till next month?
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #476 of 1,464
Quote:

Mad Dogs on the left.

Huh... INTERESTING.

Just got the leather LCD2.

Side by side comparison to the vegan LCD2...

It's subtle but... the vegan has slightly MORE bass, while the leather has slightly MORE mids.
eek.gif

Don't have much time to test this out today, but I will put up my findings later. As of right now, it's a miniscule difference.

They really are within a hair of each other in sound. I'll have to pay special attention to the treble range, as that's where I noted the difference before.

The leather is definitely a smidge warmer overall. It wouldn't be noticeable if you didn't compare directly like this. The vocals on the leather are fuller/slightly more organic.

The vegan is right there next to it though, and is CONSIDERABLY more comfortable. So if you want a more neutral tone, the vegan is the way to go.

edit: They're ultimately the same exact headphone. I've heard two EXACT headphones with the same exact pads sound more different than these two LCD2s with different pads. So, honestly, I'd recommend getting whichever you feel would benefit you most. I DO like the leather LCD'2s slight warmth over the vegan, so it's my keeper. But it's too close to call.

How are you liking the Mad Dogs and are those the newer Alpha pads you're using with them? They look super cushy but firm at the same time if that makes any sense. I was hoping you would get the HE-500's too. Wanted to see how they stack against the other full sized cans in your gaming guide. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #479 of 1,464
Just got the bamboo/vegan LCD-2 from the UPS guy this afternoon. Currently have them plugged into my desktop rig (SA-1 dac and Arete/Volcano amp). 

Straight out of the box, these sound very dark. While a lot of Head-Fiers say the HE-6 splits the middle ground between the LCD-2 and the HD 800, I currently feel that the HE-6 treble presentation is much closer to the HD 800 than the LCD-2. Pads are incredibly comfy, but it would be nice if the headband was as cushy. I've demoed the LCD-2.1 at a meet previously, and I think the old headband design is more comfortable, but much uglier and probably much less durable.

I'll let these get a bit more headtime and then give them a go on my portable rig  to see how they do on a smaller setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back