HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Sep 18, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,444 of 1,464
Got it late tonite.
Thank you DVass13.
I have sent an address request to mac336.

Alrighty, going to enjoy this beauty.
Thank you Justin for this opportunity.

Cheers

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #1,445 of 1,464
The west coast pair is on its way to johnman1116.

No doubt about it, these are very good headphones. They remind me of the LCD-X although they don't sound as "lush" as the LCD-X did, for lack of a better word. The HE560 are not "bassy", per say, but they have extremely enjoyable and accurate bass. They have some of the best bass impact, not in quantity but in quality and "believability", of any headphones I've heard which was especially impressive considering the bass isn't overly emphasized IMO. Detail and resolution in the low end is magnificent.

They have a more "open" sound compared to the LCD-X, which sounded more "semi-open" by comparison. As far as sound signature goes, I perceived them as being relatively smooth & neutral and not as dark as the LCD-X. I listen to the DT880 quite a bit and I'm used to their sound signature and switching to the HE560 was a comfortable transition. I wouldn't say they're dark but they aren't overly bright either, at least for me.

They are way lighter and more comfortable than the LCD-X. In fact, when I'm wearing them the HE560 feel only marginally heavier than what I'm used to (HD600, DT880, K712) which is impressive. Based on weight and comfort alone I prefer these over the LCD-X. I enjoyed them very much and they impressed me a little more than I thought they would. It will be hard not to order these. If/when I do it will definitely be through HeadAmp.com. Thanks again for running this awesome demo program and giving me the chance to try these puppies out. Shipping was only $21 with UPS, insured for $900, so this has been the cheapest of the demo programs I've participated in. Its been a great experience. Thanks again, Justin.

beerchug.gif

Devin

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,446 of 1,464
The west coast pair is on its way to johnman1116.

No doubt about it, these are very good headphones. They remind me of the LCD-X although they don't sound as "lush" as the LCD-X did, for lack of a better word. The HE560 are not "bassy", per say, but they have extremely enjoyable and accurate bass. They have some of the best bass impact, not in quantity but in quality and "believability", of any headphones I've heard which was especially impressive considering the bass isn't overly emphasized IMO. Detail and resolution in the low end is magnificent.

They have a more "open" sound compared to the LCD-X, which sounded more "semi-open" by comparison. As far as sound signature goes, I perceived them as being relatively smooth & neutral and not as dark as the LCD-X. I listen to the DT880 quite a bit and I'm used to their sound signature and switching to the HE560 was a comfortable transition. I wouldn't say they're dark but they aren't overly bright either, at least for me.

They are way lighter and more comfortable than the LCD-X. In fact, when I'm wearing them the HE560 feel only marginally heavier than what I'm used to (HD600, DT880, K712) which is impressive. Based on weight and comfort alone I prefer these over the LCD-X. I enjoyed them very much and they impressed me a little more than I thought they would. It will be hard not to order these. If/when I do it will definitely be through HeadAmp.com. Thanks again for running this awesome demo program and giving me the chance to try these puppies out. Shipping was only $21 with UPS, insured for $900, so this has been the cheapest of the demo programs I've participated in. Its been a great experience. Thanks again, Justin.

:beerchug:

Devin
Package delivered and received :) I am at work now so I can't look through the contents and verify any potential smells or damages but I'm pretty excited to compare it with the HE-500. I will update if I notice anything weird or decide to post my impressions. I will ship out Friday. Oh I guess to Justin; Dang that's far :p

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,447 of 1,464

The west coast pair is on its way to johnman1116.

beerchug.gif

Devin

Package delivered and received
smily_headphones1.gif
I am at work now so I can't look through the contents and verify any potential smells or damages but I'm pretty excited to compare it with the HE-500. I will update if I notice anything weird or decide to post my impressions. I will ship out Friday. Oh I guess to Justin; Dang that's far
tongue.gif

If it helps you out, you can ship it to me instead. :wink:

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,449 of 1,464
Looks like @jaywillin got the east coast pair today.

Please confirm that they got to you safely! Enjoy.

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,450 of 1,464
Sep 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,451 of 1,464
Well my 3 days are up but Justin is not replying the PM. In hindsight I suppose I could just send it to the Headamp address but I'd like to wait until he tells me to do so.

Build quality and Comfort
The HE560 is definitely not the heavy and tough HE500 but more of a aesthetically pleasing and light headphone. The adoption of the suspension headband is so much more comfortable than the HE500 that puts the brunt of the weight on the top of your head. In addition to its lighter nature and much more comfortable and softer earpads, the HE560 is probably one of the more comfortable headphone for most people. I say most people because personally due to my larger than average head, I experience a death grip similar to the HD600. At least with the HE560 you don't have to worry about cracking the headband :) The headphone is all around smaller than the HE500 so everything is just slighter more cramped which is unfortunate for me but if you ever felt the HE500 was awkward and unbalanced and too big, you will love the HE560. Interestingly, I feel like there is a unbalanced proportion between the how far it stretches horizontally vs vertically ie I experienced a "death grip" but was only on the second shortest notch on the headband. I could make it longer to loosen the grip but then its too long... Long story short, the HE560 is incomparably more comfortable than the HE500 (for most people) which is worthy of the upgrade alone, IMO and if the price was the same.

Aesthetics
Oh and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but the metal frame above the headband is pointy and square on the corners... which looks dumb.. sorry for bursting your bubble. IMO.
Overall I think the headphones look great. Obviously wood is the new(ish) trend and although the HE560's wood looks and feels cheaper than something of Audeze, it still looks (or can look) nice. At least it doesn't weight a pound... and it doesn't look gigantic...

Sound Quality
Long story short, the HE560 doesn't really sound like the HE500. It is much more neutral with a tighter, more precise bass (read less boomy) and adds clarity and dynamics across the spectrum. Typically with a more neutral headphones, words such as "cold" or "boring" or even "piercing" are used. I can say with certainty that I did not experience with any of that. The HE560 was very pleasing to listen to for long periods of time. Sure you might want more bass so you turn up the volume a little or even switch back to the HE500 but once you do, you will realize how much more clearer the HE560 sounds and comfortable it is. Seriously y'all, it's so comfortable! (as long as it doesn't feel like your head is going to explode) (jk)
I feel like the relationship between the HE500 and the HE560 is comparable to the HD650 and HD600 with the HD series being more warm and bassy. (I might be wrong about that; it's been a while since I heard the HD 600 series).

Tidbit
I do not like this trend of ~$1000 headphones. I can't even imagine spending that much on one headphone (unfortunately) and can't do price-performance comparisons in this price bracket. Yea the He560 looks nice, sounds nice, is decently well constructed and designed but worth $900? In that sense, the Audeze is a much more worth it (at that price), assuming you like the sound, look, feel, but now at $2000?! Get out of here... This is coming from a guy with a (self proclaimed) respectable amount of respectable headphones, if I do say so myself. I have personally never purchased a brand new headphones; I did however purchased a very well cared for HE500 for $400 however, if I ever were to buy new, I would DEFINITELY order one through HeadAmp. First of all Justin has been a saint in starting this demo service (seriously amazing, my friends can't even comprehend his generosity and trust) and should be Vendor of the Year. It's either the same or marginally more expensive than Amazon and if the price does deter you, buy a used one or stock b from HeadAmp.
/rant over.

Overall
Great clean neutral sound with nice extension and no glaring treble or boring sound overall. I actually like how it sounds and if it weren't for the personal comfort problems, this headphone would pretty close to perfect. The only cons I have are if you have a larger head or prefer a bigger low end.

btw Justin, the headphone box is pretty beat up. The headphones look decent though. Definitely a demo pair now... no funky smells though :)
HD 800 or AKG 812 next! :)

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,452 of 1,464
my time with the 560 is done, and its on the way to the next lucky participant !

first off i'd like to thank justin at headamp for the opportunity to hear this headphone in my own house, and with my own gear.
i'd heard the 560 briefly at the nashville meet, just before i received the tour pair.

i'm not one for writing "reviews", i'm not that eloquent in describing what i'm hearing.
the other headphones i have are the grado gs1000e, and the lcd x, so the 560 was up against some stiff competition, not that it was really a competition to begin with.
the 560's are very comfortable , very light, not as comfy as the grado, but more comfortable that the lcd x, weight wise.
the pads on the 560 weren't as nice as the audeze, but then, it's half the price.
now for the sound.
the 560 fell somewhere in between the grado and the audeze to me.
it had the speed, articulation , of the grado, and its soundstage was more akin to the audeze.
bass reached low, and was tight, tuneful. mids present, treble extended, and not harsh.
i've heard all the hifiman headphones, my favorite being the he-6, when its properly driven, which can be difficult .
other than the he-6 amped right, this is the best hifiman i've heard.

to have a headphone, sound this good, sound approaching the quality of my favorite , the lcd x, at roughly half the price is outstanding !
i haven't had the pleasure of buying anything from headamp as yet, but that may change , the 560 is that good

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #1,455 of 1,464
  Please update the status of the east coast and midwest pairs

These will also be the last demos from HeadAmp. honest reason - nobody on the demo list has bought headphones, at least not from me.

That's a legitimate shame... The HE-500's didn't float my boat, but you have to think at least someone liked what they heard. Otoh, it also kind of makes sense that most of the people who would jump at this aren't in the financial situation to buy headphones this nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back