HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Jan 18, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,096 of 1,464
Justin,

Do you have any idea when you plan to kick off the LCD-X/XC tour?

Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,099 of 1,464
from 1/7/14:

Quote:
  Received the HD 700 from johnman1116 yesterday. Not ready to release any impressions on it, but I will say that I didn't expect to spend the several hours I did spend with them last night when I got home from work. Really excited to demo this one. I'll probably hold onto them for the rest of the week and ship them out to devhen on Friday. Want to make sure I get good and proper time exploring these.

you still have these?

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jan 22, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,100 of 1,464
Jan 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #1,103 of 1,464
Hey Justin, while you're here, are you waiting on the HD 700 to finish it's tour before releasing the demo list of people for the LCD-X / XC?

Just curious. Thread's been quiet for a while... Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #1,104 of 1,464

you still have these?

Nope. Sent them out last week. Emailed you about it along with it's tracking number. I'll re-forward just so you have a record of it.

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,105 of 1,464
The HD700 are on their way to Oregonian as of yesterday. I emailed Justin the tracking number last night.

Thanks again Justin!

I'm really hoping I get in on the LCD-X demo. Really looking forward to hearing some Audeze.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,106 of 1,464
  The HD700 are on their way to Oregonian as of yesterday. I emailed Justin the tracking number last night.

Thanks again Justin!

I'm really hoping I get in on the LCD-X demo. Really looking forward to hearing some Audeze.

So... what did ya think?

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,108 of 1,464

update -- the LCD-X and XC demos will ship Monday. i will inform the first person very soon

sorry for the wait on this

I for one have no problem with the wait! Very exciting!!

Thanks again Justin!

So... what did ya think?

Well... the HD700 are definitely a good headphone. They are much heavier and sturdier than I expected them to be. They feel very... valuable? More than I thought they would. They have quite a bit of clamp, which surprised me, like they are gripping onto your head from every direction, yet they're still very comfortable.

Sound wise, unfortunately they didn't impress me much based on their asking price. Position and separation were superior to my DT880 and HD600 yet the soundstage really wasn't much wider or deeper if at all. They definitely don't have the awesome depth the TH600 had.

I like how balanced they are. They are similiar to what I'm used to, the DT880 and HD600, in that they have really satisfying bass that extends well but its not emphasized at all and overall they are quite neutral. The problem for me was, as you might guess, the treble. There was a certain spot in the treble frequencies that sounded weird. It was almost like there was distortion or clipping happening, like EQ had been applied to a small section of treble frequencies and they sounded very emphasized and were clipping. To my ears it was a pretty big flaw. I don't know if this is the kind of thing that everyone hears differently based on the size/shape of their ears, etc or not. If not, I don't see how it would have gotten past Sennheiser's engineers unless they were OK with it because it puts the HD700 an obvious step below the more expensive HD800. I don't know. For a headphone at this price I was disappointed that it had this kind of an issue. It was only apparent with some music or at different times during certain songs. It wasn't something that constantly bothered me but enough to be consistently noticeable. I think what made it more frustrating was that this issue just didn't seem to match up with the rest of the headphone. Everything else about the HD700 looked, felt, and sounded like a $1k headphone ($850 currently I think). That's what was so surprising and at the same time frustrating.

I don't know what else to say. I liked the headphone in a lot of ways and I think its a good design and a good product but sometimes with these kinds of things it makes me wish that companies were more open to revising their products more often. Everyone hates to see a good product changed but in the case of the HD700, an HD700.1 with the treble issue improved would definitely be something I would consider buying. As they are now they don't work for me unfortunately. The overall improvements of the HD700 over the DT880, my current favorite, weren't nearly enough to make up for the price difference and the treble issue.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #1,109 of 1,464
  update -- the LCD-X and XC demos will ship Monday. i will inform the first person very soon

sorry for the wait on this

Awesome news!  Hope I made the cut on the XC! 

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,110 of 1,464

Users who are viewing this thread

Back