HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Sign up now for HiFiMAN HE-560
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #691 of 1,464
Quote:
This is probably how I am going to feel when I get a chance at the Stax. I'm excited, but scared because I don't know if I will be able to enjoy my headphones afterward.

Honestly its a great headphone but Ive been listening to my Audio Technica AD2K (w/NFB10 or PicoPower/ODAC) all day and I still really like them and I think this Stax system is not too far ahead of my current system. It certainly is way more detailed and beats it in a few other areas but for some reason I feel like the AD2K is a more "complete" headphone. I will try to put it another way;  I felt like I was more impressed by the technical ability, surprised by how good the Stax sounded and how I was hearing stuff in a way Id never heard before but then after my listening session today its seems I find the music more enjoyable/fun with the AD2K. That being said Id still love to own this Stax someday but I have a feeling the next step up in amp or headphone in the Stax line would be my end game someday. + Stax Mafia is hard to resist. Justin do you have a 10 year layaway program available?

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #693 of 1,464
the HiFiMAN HE-400 has returned.  offering it up as-is for $199 shipped in the U.S., $249 international

* may have slightly smokey smell
* ships in the hard HiFiMAN box like a HE-500 or HE-6.  latch is broken
* screw may be falling out
* may have scratch on ear cup

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #694 of 1,464
I just stumbled upon this thread, very gracious to set this up, Justin. Any chance you will be taking more sign ups in the future? I'd love to spend some time with the LCD-2 on my personal gear. I've only had brief sessions with Audeze headphones at various meets.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #696 of 1,464
And... Sold. 
biggrin.gif

Happy graduation present to me!~

3 hours too late. Happy graduation!

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #697 of 1,464
Jun 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #698 of 1,464
Quote:
Quote:
Stax are off to DiabolicPuppy or whatever his Stax demo stealing name is
biggrin.gif
. Thanks Justin for the opportunity to try something that I never thought Id have the chance to. If I ever get rich or decide that I love Top Ramen 3 times a day forever and the bus more than girls Ill order something slightly higher end from Stax.

This is probably how I am going to feel when I get a chance at the Stax. I'm excited, but scared because I don't know if I will be able to enjoy my headphones afterward.

Yeah I had the same concerns while demo'ing the Stax 407 setup. In comparison my DT880s and HD600s sound grainy throughout the spectrum. The 407 is clearly superior and while they were here I had no desire to use any of my dynamics at all. I agree with what some have said, that they can lack a 'fun' factor that dynamics are sometimes better at. But for clarity and accuracy they are in a different league. I got the impression that with my dynamics I was hearing a driver attempt to reproduce the sounds, while with the Stax I was simply hearing the sounds exactly as they were recorded. It is extremely effortless sounding compared to dynamics. I was also able to EQ up the bass and get a little bit more of a fun sound from them but still not as 'fun' as dynamics can be. But fun =/= accuracy. The DT880 and HD600 are muddy and grainy by comparison which was surprising because they are both very good headphones. Anyway, all I really wanted to mention was that I did have a hard time enjoying my dynamics as much as I normally do when I had the Stax on hand but as soon as they were gone I got used to the DT880 and HD600 again and am enjoying them as much as I did before. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #699 of 1,464
What the?!?! Thats like half off... 
so sad I missed this deal.
Quote:
the HiFiMAN HE-400 has returned.  offering it up as-is for $199 shipped in the U.S., $249 international

* may have slightly smokey smell
* ships in the hard HiFiMAN box like a HE-500 or HE-6.  latch is broken
* screw may be falling out
* may have scratch on ear cup

Hey im graduating too...
congrats!
Quote:
And... Sold. 
biggrin.gif

Happy graduation present to me!~

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #700 of 1,464
Jun 10, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #702 of 1,464
Just a quick heads up, I received the Stax demo and everything looks great! Everything seems to be very well taken care of. Good job to everyone that has had these so far and thank you Justin for allowing me the chance to listen to this entire setup. 

Here are some Quick pics so you can see the set up and the amazing tape job on the box. The ladies at the post office were cracking up when they saw the box. 

[size=1em][/size]

I'll have more pictures of the Headphones themselves later. First impression were pretty spectacular I have to say. Super super clean and best vocals I've ever heard. They don't have the same bottom end as my LCD's or even HD650's but they aren't bass light, just very neutral and very accurate. Overall I'm very impressed. The next few days I'll get some more time to spend with them but I have spent some time with the Pico Dac and at first I didn't hear that much of a difference between it and my cheap HIFImeDIY Sabre DAC 24/96khz ($50) until I actually started to pay attention to what I was listening to then it was all to clear. My Sabre Dac is quite a bit darker which I don't mind and has deeper bass but when it comes to sound stage and clarity hands down the Pico Dac is it. I was hearing new parts to songs I've listened to a hundred times so that was pretty cool. Wish there was a little more bottom end but that's just my personal taste but its still one the best DAC's I've heard so far. Kind of an awesome plus to this whole demo program :) 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #704 of 1,464
Quote:
did the pico dac lose its leather case somewhere?

No, I arrived just took it off for the picture. Everything is in tip top shape 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #705 of 1,464

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back