Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Aug 4, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5,806 of 9,902

1. "with 100 power cycles at random intervals": I've always heard that turning off and on again a tube device at close intervals could damage the tubes. Don't you agree with this?

There is a high voltage time delay circuit. So if you flick the power switch as fast as possible, its still 2 minutes till the
high voltage comes back on.

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #5,808 of 9,902
A time delay on switch on is an excellent feature IMO. The biggest threat to long life is thermal shock and voltage surges.
The hotter a component gets, the shorter it's life. The issue which we all live with using tubes, is they heat up and cool down, and basically burn themselves out. The life of a tube is allied to the construction quality, age does not seem so critical IMO, hours of use and how hard the tubes are pushed in the design (volts on the cathode).

Some manufacturers recommend leaving tube amps on all the time (pre-amps) like Audio Note. Power amp tubes that is not a good idea or even safe to do that. My experience with tube amps, as long as you watch at start up for flares or shorts, and listen for any noise, treble harshness or flabby bass indicating a failing tube, you should be ok.

Some of these 'new manufacture' classic tube copies may (it is reported) have premature tube structure collapse. That obviously is a serious issue, as it could take part of the amp out by causing a short. That would require sending back to the manufacturer, as I had to do with one of my 300B Monoblocks. It cost nearly £1000 for the repair as out of 2 year warranty.

My love / hate relationship of tubes, it nearly kills me! I love the sound, hate the hassles. Right now, I still have tubes in my DAC, but have dropped the tubed power amps and headphone amps for SS instead. I feel I have not lost much, maybe 5% at most in overall SQ, some parts not quite as good, other parts (dynamics and bass) better. It's like that this hobby, fascinating and fun. Her in doors hates the tube gear BTW which doesn't help the cause...... boxes of tubes in the post, amp repairs, hassles etc.

Aug 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #5,810 of 9,902
Delivery of BHSE parts for batch #4 scheduled for tomorrow

Also i am really getting tired of truck companies calling and asking me for directions. Today I finally asked why they don't use Google Maps -- I was told they don't have it. Last week a driver even said "These MapQuest directions are terrible"

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5,811 of 9,902
  Delivery of BHSE parts for batch #4 scheduled for tomorrow

Also i am really getting tired of truck companies calling and asking me for directions. Today I finally asked why they don't use Google Maps -- I was told they don't have it. Last week a driver even said "These MapQuest directions are terrible"

Oye Vey! 
blink.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #5,815 of 9,902

To BHSE owners (present or future):

It seems, from recent Justin's posts, that quite a few people who ordered a BHSE some time ago will finally get the object of their most ardent desire.

I got thinking that the knowledge of the BHSE's  initial order and final delivery dates could be used to build up interesting statistics. So I suggest that current and future BHSE owners post the two dates to this forum -as for future users, when they get the amp, of course. I could use this data to build a very simple, four-column table: alias - order date - delivery date - number of days between the two dates.

The person with the highest value in column #4, once all the amps in the current batch have reached their destinations -let's say five days after the last rig has been shipped, according to an informative post from Justin-, would be declared the winner. Winner of what? Why not a personal invitation from Justin to visit HeadAmp facilities in Charlottesville (VA)? Maybe with a lunch hosted by J.W.?

It's likely that not all the BHSE owners are Head-fiers; but I think most of them are, and therefore the statistics will be interesting.

Personally, as I already mentioned, I ordered my BHSE in September 28, 2012, and I'm still waiting for it.

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5,817 of 9,902
if you want Justin to finish working on amplifiers, hosting lunches would definitely speed up the process and be incredibly productive

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #5,819 of 9,902
Hi Justin am I in batch #4 and when do I need to confirm colour, outputs and etc by the latest? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back