Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Dec 17, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #4,411 of 9,902
  Stranger things have happened.  Just saying..

Such as?

For the record, a mk2 version of BHSE would definitely piss me off. Reminds me of when I received my LCD-2 days before the LCD-3 was announced.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4,413 of 9,902

Such as?

For the record, a mk2 version of BHSE would definitely piss me off. Reminds me of when I received my LCD-2 days before the LCD-3 was announced.

so a $12k BHSE would piss you off? sign up now and i'll do it 
o2smile.gif

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #4,416 of 9,902

so a $12k BHSE would piss you off? sign up now and i'll do it 
o2smile.gif

Yeah more like a third party commerical T2.  Might be more than $12K though.

Questions, questions.

1. Some people say that Stax SRM-T2 was the best electrostatic amplifier of all time, bar none. What do you think of this statement?I've never heard the T2, and what I do know is that it was designed to be paired with SR-Omega, which is apparently not as good as SR-007 mk1.

2. Some people say that SRM-T2 had its own issues. What were some of these issues?

3. If the T2 is indeed the best electrostatic amp of all time, then why was the potential of its design never fully realized in a, say, commercial version? I have seen several DIY T2, but never a commercial one. Is it because its design would warrant a very high price tag, like you're saying?

4. Why do some people say that Kevin Gilmore designed the Blue Hawaii? I've seen this name come up many times in Stax mafia threads, and I believe he is a Head-Fi member too, but isn't Justin Wilson of HeadAmp the creator of BHSE? Yet I've seen many DIY amps named after KG, such as KGSS or KGSSHV, but I don't know any companies that sell these amps commercially. Who is Kevin Gilmore exactly, what is his relationship with HeadAmp, Justin, or BHSE, and if he's such a talented amp designer, why doesn't he have a company of his own? Perhaps he is Justin's alter ego?

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4,418 of 9,902

Questions, questions.

1. Some people say that Stax SRM-T2 was the best electrostatic amplifier of all time, bar none. What do you think of this statement?I've never heard the T2, and what I do know is that it was designed to be paired with SR-Omega, which is apparently not as good as SR-007 mk1.

2. Some people say that SRM-T2 had its own issues. What were some of these issues?

3. If the T2 is indeed the best electrostatic amp of all time, then why was the potential of its design never fully realized in a, say, commercial version? I have seen several DIY T2, but never a commercial one. Is it because its design would warrant a very high price tag, like you're saying?

4. Why do some people say that Kevin Gilmore designed the Blue Hawaii? I've seen this name come up many times in Stax mafia threads, and I believe he is a Head-Fi member too, but isn't Justin Wilson of HeadAmp the creator of BHSE? Yet I've seen many DIY amps named after KG, such as KGSS or KGSSHV, but I don't know any companies that sell these amps commercially. Who is Kevin Gilmore exactly, what is his relationship with HeadAmp, Justin, or BHSE, and if he's such a talented amp designer, why doesn't he have a company of his own? Perhaps he is Justin's alter ego?

Well, I'm not quite sure, but it seems that K.G. is -or was- an academic specialized in chemistry. He designed (scribbled on a tablecloth) the BHSE's circuitry, DIY a few units, but had no time (or proficiency) to market the contraption. The fact is that working as a University teacher is far less tiring than handcrafting high-end electronics for very demanding people.

I apologize in advance if I'm completely missing the point -for instance, if I'm confusing K.G. with someone else. And I hope this contribution won't add an extra delay to the delivery of my BHSE.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #4,419 of 9,902

Questions, questions.

Hello again, songmic

Thinking over your last hypothesis, I find it very interesting indeed. Could K.G be in fact J. W., and vice versa? The fact is that there are no pictures of these two (?) persons on Head-fi, as far as I know. Lavartus prodeo... This would account for the time BHSEs require to be made: many things to do for one person.   

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,420 of 9,902
  Well, I'm not quite sure, but it seems that K.G. is -or was- an academic specialized in chemistry. He designed (scribbled on a tablecloth) the BHSE's circuitry, DIY a few units, but had no time (or proficiency) to market the contraption. The fact is that working as a University teacher is far less tiring than handcrafting high-end electronics for very demanding people.

I apologize in advance if I'm completely missing the point -for instance, if I'm confusing K.G. with someone else. And I hope this contribution won't add an extra delay to the delivery of my BHSE.

This is from Northwestern's website:

Mr. Kevin Gilmore has been with NU since 1991 and transitioned to support the then ASL upon the official closing of the electronics shop in 2004. Mr. Gilmore provides 20% support for the Physics computer labs and 80% support for IMSERC activities.  Mr. Gilmore’s primary role is servicing and repairing all different kinds of electronic and computer equipment.  This includes very sophisticated analytical instruments such as NMR spectrometers.  Through the employment of Mr. Gilmore, the IMSERC is able to avoid the use of service contracts and dramatically reduce downtime by addressing issues either preventatively or typically in less than 24 hours.  In addition, Mr. Gilmore has been integral in the installation of the new data sever that will allow all users to access and process data remotely.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #4,421 of 9,902
Here's your commercial T2, Songmic.

900x900px-LL-4e30a624_2012-12-12_Stax_Interview_and_Tour_DSC_7650.jpeg

If you mean a non-Stax commercial T2, the answer is simple. Most amplifier companies (and solo boutique makers) don't want to take the risk of manufacturing them.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #4,422 of 9,902
Hello again, songmic

Thinking over your last hypothesis, I find it very interesting indeed. Could K.G be in fact J. W., and vice versa? The fact is that there are no pictures of these two (?) persons on Head-fi, as far as I know. Lavartus prodeo... This would account for the time BHSEs require to be made: many things to do for one person.   

Well I found these two pics, and JW and KG look nothing alike:

Here is JW:

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/841840/

Here is KG:

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/841840/

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #4,424 of 9,902
As an extension, JW and AC are clearly the same person, as evidenced by the matching moose on their shirts.  

Now that is the perfect cover! That is pure genius! I always wondered why we haven't seen these two side-by-side. I mean, who is JW exactly, who is AC.... wait... who am I? This makes inception look like an Adam Sandler film.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #4,425 of 9,902
Not only that, the parts alone could easy surpassed 5.5k not including labor & profits. The market for a 15k amp is pretty slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back