Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 12, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #4,981 of 12,597
I'm really torn between the Fiio X7 and Mojo for my next purchase. I was leaning towards X7 first because I miss having a dedicated DAP (I nice one not low budget Fiio), but recent posts have me leaning towards mojo. I'm buying both eventually, but one at a time. I think I'll be happier with mojo first, plus that will give more time for additional modules being made for fiio.

Or I could sell my Fostex Th900 and make the wait a bit less. Could always purchase the Th900 again if I miss them that much, which I doubt I will. They don't get much head time unfortunately. I really prefer IEMS.

Damn decisions...

warrior1975 start with the mojo its a no brainer at all

i find that daps still need more time to be come close to something like the mojo espeically knowing i own the ak380 and amp, with mojo slap a small andorid phone on it and your done, i guess buying the fiio x7 is tempting but i still feel it will not give us what we look for in power and customization you can get from the mojo- android combo. mojo is the best think i heard throughout my whole head-fi joiurney

fiio x7 is worth it also but maybe when more modules come out. the good thing both are not expensive but start with the mojo

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #4,982 of 12,597
  I would say the FX1100 is a pass for me. Just thought I would share my opinions to potential buyers who are looking to get them as a "bassy" IEM.

Good - Loud, very accentuated bass. Great woodwind and percussion music presentation. I like.
Bad - Instrument layering and separation is a mess on faster tracks. Treble can get too hot and piercing sounding on some recordings. The bass can get very boomy at times and mask all the other frequencies. However, even after EQing the bass down, the driver IMHO cannot keep up with fast transients and subtle nuances.

TLDR - These satisfy my bass needs, not my detail/clarity needs.

Looks like I'm taking an immediate depreciation hit once again :frowning2: I've only had these for a day too...

I would agree with all of that. It's why I don't own them.

My $200 ex800st demolish my $1000 64 Audio in Bass, clarity and staging. I got the Kumitate' Lab IEM coming today (I missed the first delivery attempt
redface.gif
)

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #4,984 of 12,597

I would agree with all of that. It's why I don't own them.

My $200 ex800st demolish my $1000 64 Audio in Bass, clarity and staging. I got the Kumitate' Lab IEM coming today (I missed the first delivery attempt
redface.gif
)

what the difference between the xb90ex and the ex800st

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #4,985 of 12,597
  what the difference between the xb90ex and the ex800st

They take more power and are studio IEM so the pre mod sound sig is:

Different graph sources but the gist is correct to my ears.
The xb90 are elevated by manufacturer tuning and have a wide stage with great treble. The ex800 are studio tuned and need a tape mod over the vent to elevate the sub bass and a pin prick to maintain the very nice mids. EQ is required from 30-55Hz and a cut at 250-500 and a lift at 4 and 10Khz.

The more I listen and the more I compare...the more I love them for Classic Rock,Reggae and Hip Hop.

I am making a video review for them tonight. Before I dive into my 5 upcoming reviews I have to give a review to the best set I have ever owned.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #4,986 of 12,597
[@]Hykhleif[/@]-you are definitely right. But, I still believe the X7 will be magical. Once I root and install V4A, game over. Regardless, Mojo is different, which is why I want it. I have my LG V10, so I don't think the differences between that and the X7 are going to be that big. Then again, I'm not so sure the difference between mojo and Cayin C5 will be that big either. After promising myself not to purchase another amp without bass boost again. Lol... If I seriously don't love the MOJO, and hear no difference, I'm never buying an amp without bass boost again.

Hawaiibadboy What's up with 64 ears? Top ten or no bro?

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #4,987 of 12,597
@Hykhleif-you are definitely right. But, I still believe the X7 will be magical. Once I root and install V4A, game over. Regardless, Mojo is different, which is why I want it. I have my LG V10, so I don't think the differences between that and the X7 are going to be that big. Then again, I'm not so sure the difference between mojo and Cayin C5 will be that big either. After promising myself not to purchase another amp without bass boost again. Lol... If I seriously don't love the MOJO, and hear no difference, I'm never buying an amp without bass boost again.

@Hawaiibadboy What's up with 64 ears? Top ten or no bro?

@warrior1975 beaware without the v4a and eq the mojo will not deliver for u, but once u install v4a and eq it, or just use the eq in one of the good music players the mojo will deliver big big time

i think that still the x7 with am2 is not powerful enough for full size headphones, so with daps i am thinking there is still a need to attach an amp so that makes a strap setup as well

i do not know both are good choices u got a high end iem coming ur way so i suggest u get the mojo for now, and later on the x7 by then more modules would have been released, also ibasso are planning a new dap which might just be better than fiio x7 and more info about i basso new dap will be relelased in a week so wait my freind. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #4,988 of 12,597
DX200 looks very nice, but no root, no good.

I will always run V4A bro, no other way for me. Mojo will always have loads of bass pushed to it. :wink:

I really think I'm going to purchase mojo next. I just know I'll get a board with it. At least the X7 is something I can mess around with and look at. Mojo, boring (other than sound). I do like the dual headphone Jack's. Great for watching movies with my girl on our iPad.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #4,989 of 12,597
DX200 looks very nice, but no root, no good.

I will always run V4A bro, no other way for me. Mojo will always have loads of bass pushed to it.
wink.gif

I really think I'm going to purchase mojo next. I just know I'll get a board with it. At least the X7 is something I can mess around with and look at. Mojo, boring (other than sound). I do like the dual headphone Jack's. Great for watching movies with my girl on our iPad.

i think u will get a better answer from @Hawaiibadboy as he owned the x7 and now has the mojo also

i would like to know from him as well

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #4,990 of 12,597

i think u will get a better answer from @Hawaiibadboy as he owned the x7 and now has the mojo also

i would like to know from him as well

I did not own the X7 I was on a review tour. I'd take the Mojo and the superior sonic abilities and the dual HO is pretty sweet for me as it is excellent for testing.
If you already have a rooted droid you slap this on the back and call it the Thriller nothing iller natural born DAP killa

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #4,991 of 12,597
If I'm not mistaken, HBB had the tour unit, which wasn't rooted. Big difference.

I love my toys, so I want a dedicated DAP. I just need a rootable one so I can install Viper4Android. No other way for me. If the X7 wasn't rootable, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,992 of 12,597
I spent all yesterday trying to get V4A to work on my phone, is it model specific or something? I just can't get it to work with the USB output...
I have USB Audio Player Pro but I think I might just get the full version of Onkyo HF Player cause I hate UAPP's interface.

Gonna watch the 7550 reviews! I keep almost buying the beat audio cable for it but i keep chickening out.

Mar 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #4,993 of 12,597
I spent all yesterday trying to get V4A to work on my phone, is it model specific or something? I just can't get it to work with the USB output...
I have USB Audio Player Pro but I think I might just get the full version of Onkyo HF Player cause I hate UAPP's interface.

Gonna watch the 7550 reviews! I keep almost buying the beat audio cable for it but i keep chickening out.

Did you root the Android device?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,995 of 12,597
  I would say the FX1100 is a pass for me. Just thought I would share my opinions to potential buyers who are looking to get them as a "bassy" IEM.

Good - Loud, very accentuated bass. Great woodwind and percussion music presentation. I like.
Bad - Instrument layering and separation is a mess on faster tracks. Treble can get too hot and piercing sounding on some recordings. The bass can get very boomy at times and mask all the other frequencies. However, even after EQing the bass down, the driver IMHO cannot keep up with fast transients and subtle nuances.

TLDR - These satisfy my bass needs, not my detail/clarity needs.

Looks like I'm taking an immediate depreciation hit once again :frowning2: I've only had these for a day too...

Before you send them out the door to the next owner, you should try the James444 mod. It does improve
the bass and confusion on busy music quite a bit. The mod is quickly and totally reversible and is very well
documented by James444
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11162329

At the end of the day, my opinion is that the FX1100 isn't a candidate for a "one & only" IEM, but with
certain music it is really stellar. Chamber music, "unplugged" acoustic and vocal centric stuff is unique
and sometimes amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back