Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #7,591 of 12,597
I've noticed the problem more with certain designs. Some of the nozzles I've had are just the right size that they go very deep into my canal and the seal seems to be achieved at the base of the tip causing a very tight seal that really doesn't utilize the tip. It becomes very hard to find a tip that is large enough at the base and tapered at the tip.

When this happens, I only find tips that are too small or too large with little in between. That's why double flange have worked well for me - it seems like my ear canal is just the right size to cause fit issues. I won't say a different technique won't work, it's worth a try, but it didn't for me. The issue for me was just tip rolling until I found a couple that worked.

May 21, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #7,593 of 12,597
Hey guys. Sorry haven't been around... Was really sick. Actually in hospital, but doing better now. Any new updates? For me lots...

Received both sets of my Sony's, my trifecta is complete. The ex1000 are by far the best Sony's I've heard to date.

Also have a new arrowhead 5tx. Incredible little amp, very small. Never seen anything like it. Great sound, although I think I prefer the Cayin C5.

That's about all I have for now. Hopefully I can do some serious abing this week between my Sonys and my Tralucent Audio Ref 1 Too.

May 21, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,594 of 12,597
Hey guys. Sorry haven't been around... Was really sick. Actually in hospital, but doing better now. Any new updates? For me lots...

Received both sets of my Sony's, my trifecta is complete. The ex1000 are by far the best Sony's I've heard to date.

Also have a new arrowhead 5tx. Incredible little amp, very small. Never seen anything like it. Great sound, although I think I prefer the Cayin C5.

That's about all I have for now. Hopefully I can do some serious abing this week between my Sonys and my Tralucent Audio Ref 1 Too.

wow you were in the hospital...that sucks...hope you're back to getting well again...and fast.

thought i'd share: lots of great buzz on the HTC 10 phone being a real audiophile level phone, having a separate dac/amp.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

excerpt:  
was very skeptical of HTC's claims of excellent headphone audio on the HTC 10. Not only was I surprised at the results of both audio benchmarking and listening, but I found out my skepticism (as well as most everyone else with the same concerns) was unfounded.
Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 does a lot of things right, but clear audio isn't one of those things. Something in the digital to analog converter circuit introduces an extreme amount of noise and crosstalk into the analog output, and phones like the U.S. Galaxy S7 and LG G5sound pretty poor because of this.
After doing some testing, I was presented with results that just didn't make sense from the HTC 10 — it was better than it should be, even with extra work and attention to the analog circuit that brings signal from the DAC output to the headphone jack. You can only do so much magic to a bad signal. I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrectThe HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC. This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.
We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.
The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp

May 21, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #7,596 of 12,597

Glad you are doing better.

I edited off the list and will edit off the ones without + and - opinions under the set. After you have time and get well please give me an updated list with some pros and cons under it and I'll post that up.

The only thing more important than health is sexy chicks in bikinis

1. Sexy bikini chicks
  2. Health
  3. Good steaks and cheeseburgers
  4. Money (for the chicks and steaks)
And bass
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #7,597 of 12,597

The only thing more important than health is sexy chicks in bikinis

1. Sexy bikini chicks
  2. Health
  3. Good steaks and cheeseburgers
  4. Money (for the chicks and steaks)
And bass
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #7,599 of 12,597
Hi gang

After research it seems that XB90EX is the obvious choice. It has serious value for the money. But I could not find any comparison between XB90EX and XB50AP. On the paper they seems to be very similar. 50AP has a mic which is kinda useful when taking calls and the price is half of 90EX. Yes I know you get what you are paying for but whats the real difference here?

I like the fact that 50AP has a mic and low price but is the BASS any weaker than 90EX?
Some people mentioned that mids are washed out on 50AP - is it really that much difference?

Thanks!

May 21, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #7,600 of 12,597
Hi gang

After research it seems that XB90EX is the obvious choice. It has serious value for the money. But I could not find any comparison between XB90EX and XB50AP. On the paper they seems to be very similar. 50AP has a mic which is kinda useful when taking calls and the price is half of 90EX. Yes I know you get what you are paying for but whats the real difference here?

I like the fact that 50AP has a mic and low price but is the BASS any weaker than 90EX?
Some people mentioned that mids are washed out on 50AP - is it really that much difference?

Thanks!

I had the XB50AP for a while. I thought it sucked. Bass was OK, but the mids and highs were totally underwhelming. I have the XB90EX now and can say it's in another league.

May 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #7,601 of 12,597
I'm curious if anyone has tried the Burson Audio SS5 V5i opamp or any of the Burson opamps. I'm thinking of trying the V5i to see if it helps tighten up and give better bass slam. Read some reviews that suggested getting better bass out of the Bursons.

May 22, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7,602 of 12,597
I've read nothing but good about Bursuns as well... But they are normally with the higher end boys. So I take everything with a pound of salt. My ears are no where near the capabilities of most here, especially the high end people. Guess that's a good thing.

May 22, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #7,603 of 12,597
thanks guys for your help in suggesting tips for the sony 7520 and xb90ex for a better seal.

further question, please:
what other iem would you suggest that has fab bass slam but is also as equally detailed and balanced
as the 7550?

I already have this and the xb90ex...
(am selling the x90ex so pm me if interested...while i like the fit, i miss the details/balance of the 7550)

.... but the fit factor of the 7550 is a pain..not made for portable walk around usage due the frankenbolts effect
(lots of wind noise i get)....so i'm seeking something more modern, more flush to the ear.

of course there is the vsonics gr07 bass edition....new mee pinnacle p1 , focal sphear and flc 8s...echobox x1
anything from dunu?...or stick with aurisonics (someone offering me rockets for US80)

my listening prefs rock, blues, jazz,

thankyou for any advice

May 22, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #7,604 of 12,597
  thanks guys for your help in suggesting tips for the sony 7520 and xb90ex for a better seal.

further question, please:
what other iem would you suggest that has fab bass slam but is also as equally detailed and balanced
as the 7550?

I already have this and the xb90ex...
(am selling the x90ex so pm me if interested...while i like the fit, i miss the details/balance of the 7550)

.... but the fit factor of the 7550 is a pain..not made for portable walk around usage due the frankenbolts effect
(lots of wind noise i get)....so i'm seeking something more modern, more flush to the ear.

of course there is the vsonics gr07 bass edition....new mee pinnacle p1 , focal sphear and flc 8s...echobox x1
anything from dunu?...or stick with aurisonics (someone offering me rockets for US80)

my listening prefs rock, blues, jazz,

thankyou for any advice

The rockets are not basshead but they are one of the most well tuned all-around headphones I have heard. Really easy recommendation, $80 is a great price if they are in good condition.

Bass-wise, I haven't used the 7550 (only ex1000), but I think the Future Sonics G10 might work for you, take some getting used to the club monitor type of sound, but once I did they were my main IEM for about a year (this after I'd gone through trying out 10+ sets in a short time). Potential downside is a fairly narrow/direct presentation compared to Sonys, personally happen to like that. Also not super-detailed sounding. The headfonia review did some comparisons to the echobox.

May 22, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7,605 of 12,597
canali I've heard or owned several of those that you mentioned. None are basshead worthy unfortunately. I don't care much for the Sony fit either... But damn, all three of those slam. If you can find a pair of asg g2 or g2.5, they fit pretty well for me. I do prefer the Sony EX800st over the asg, but the asg are no slouches.

I prefer the treble of the Sony by far. To me, it's a more balanced iem overall as well, that hits just as hard if not harder than the asg. I'd take the Sony everyday over the asg's... Sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back