Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 16, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #7,486 of 12,597
  Oh that ship sailed literally soon as I posted!

I need to hunt for a set again.

LOL

I feel you man.  Sometimes its just best to go with what you know.

Eph 100 were a great set when I demoed them.  Don't know why Yamaha decided that they needed to discontinue it.  They should have just reshelled it.

May 16, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #7,488 of 12,597
  Given I have the 1 Plus at the moment, was thinking how I can utilise them best?

They sound average off an Ipod, my phone and my PC.

Have access to any sort of stereo receiver with a headphone jack, maybe?

IMO the 1Plus is not a very bassy Aurisonics anyway so i wouldn't try TOO hard to make it be bass rumbly, i'm sure the unamped 2.5 is better than it at bass.

May 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #7,489 of 12,597
eph100, ie80, and asg2.5 - all very good... all of them I ultimately disliked... probably the wrong person to make any suggestion here lol

If I could frankenstein the 2.5's bass with the 100's midrange and the ie80 treble and the 2.5's details...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #7,490 of 12,597
SO I just gave the 1 Plus a spin on my stereo receiver and its just to clinical.

The music I listen to is very bassy and dirty sounding (techno) and this just doesn't give me the sound I'm looking for.

Quite peeved as they were recommended to me by a retailer and I cant return them.

May 16, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #7,491 of 12,597
  SO I just gave the 1 Plus a spin on my stereo receiver and its just to clinical.

The music I listen to is very bassy and dirty sounding (techno) and this just doesn't give me the sound I'm looking for.

Quite peeved as they were recommended to me by a retailer and I cant return them.

Sorry to hear that man, I'd call them up and b**** them out, cause you did buy it on their recommendation unless that really won't get you anywhere with them. It's too bad they recommended you a non-bassy IEM. I've read other reviews of the 1plus describing it as bass light, clinical, etc.

The 2.5 is great but I don't recommend them to everyone cause a lot of people decide to move on from them, they're bass monsters but they're definitely designed for and oriented at musicians instead of audiophiles.

I haven't gotten to try it out but definitely consider the AD01 or Sony MH1 (I think you can upgrade the cable fairly easily, I could be wrong)

May 16, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #7,493 of 12,597
Are the Westone W50s the bassiest BA IEM you've heard? They seem to be the cheapest and most accessible on the lists.

I put it on my list cause I think it's worthy of mention even though it's not something I personally own or would ever buy.
If you want a 100% BA IEM with bass it's pretty much the only one I know that can do the job.
You will need to amp and EQ very heavily.
My friend who owned it upgraded to the W60, i'll have to see how it compares next time I see him.

May 16, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #7,494 of 12,597
Enjoyed the 2.5s quite a bit with techno- the main problem for me was very specific for noise rock which could sound a little off due to there not being a lot of upper mid/treble energy- also had a few piano recordings that got a little claustrophobic in the lower mids for me (had similar issue with ie80), but that was not so frequent. Both were fixable with some EQ but my DAP had limited bands so I found it difficult to pinpoint for my portable purposes.

I haven't heard too many BA sets, a few that had decent bass like my Earsonics, but for example listening to 'On My Level' when it drops to the two lowest notes all exhibit almost complete rolloff, though could feel some rumble... the Westones any better?

May 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #7,495 of 12,597
I would never go back to 100% BA, I love dynamic driver bass too much. Just personal preference.

ASG 2.5 are magnificent but like I said I wouldn't still have a set if I didn't use them for recording too. They're designed for touring musicians on stage honestly, people listening to fully mixed down tracks like pretty much everyone here and on this site isn't the ASG 2.5 target audience. Doesn't change how much I love mine, and I'm happy listening for enjoyment with them too cause they're just so good. They also scale up really nicely with amping.

May 16, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #7,497 of 12,597
  @vapman - Just a quick question -  I am planning to buy an amp with bass boost. Which one would you recommend Headstage Arrow 5T(not exrabass) or Cayin C5. I am mainly using IEMS. TIA.

having owned both of those, I'm tempted to say C5, the arrow is a good choice if you really want the extra EQ features, but the C5 can drive full size & high gain/impedance phones easier if you want it to. i heard they make a C5 with a DAC in it now so whether you want a DAC is irrelevant as you can get either with one.

being able to switch between different bass boost frequencies was a lot of fun, however mine stayed on low & max bass boost 95% of the time, and the C5 bass boost is more or less like that.

May 16, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #7,498 of 12,597

having owned both of those, I'm tempted to say C5, the arrow is a good choice if you really want the extra EQ features, but the C5 can drive full size & high gain/impedance phones easier if you want it to. i heard they make a C5 with a DAC in it now so whether you want a DAC is irrelevant as you can get either with one.

being able to switch between different bass boost frequencies was a lot of fun, however mine stayed on low & max bass boost 95% of the time, and the C5 bass boost is more or less like that.

Thanks a mil. It helps a lot.

May 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #7,499 of 12,597
Are the Westone W50s the bassiest BA IEM you've heard? They seem to be the cheapest and most accessible on the lists.

I haven't heard any of the newer westones, but I can tell you that the U8 is a monster as far as BA goes.

It is very expensive...

It wouldn't be in my collection of it wasn't for some good friends.

May 16, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #7,500 of 12,597

Who did the rec?
A company on this site?
I wanna know.
PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back