Head-Direct EF-1
Dec 5, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #46 of 348
what phones you use knopi. thinking of one for myself. or actually they are for my akgs.

and for others who has this amp. Is it good with aks?. i would love to get some more power than my dot has to the aks to bring some more bass to it like my nad delivers. i use the nad to the aks but its a little darksounding to my ambient

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #47 of 348
I have the EF1, but I was wondering how it compares with the LDIII or a similarly priced Darkvoice with the HD600s.

Also, how much of a step up is there in audio quality if I jumped to a Woo Audio 6 or even a raptor?

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #48 of 348
I tried only my Head-Direct RE1 and had loaned for two hours K501 by my friend, I sold all of my equipment, still waiting on MS-Pro unfortunately, I dont like USPS Priority Mail, dont know why Alessandro can not send it via EMS
rolleyes.gif
I hope that MS-Pro arrive me ok becose I am not sure about insurance my package. My english is bad for describe sound and my EF1 has only 20 hour burn but I think very good synergy with AKG, it gave warmer sounding, deep bass, nice soundstage, overall sweet sound in many ways as dynamic, readability etc. but I'm not expert on sound it is my first full size amp
smile.gif
only my oppinion. I didnt expect wide difference with amp but difference is more than hearable for me.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #49 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by knopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried only my Head-Direct RE1 and had loaned for two hours K501 by my friend, I sold all of my equipment, still waiting on MS-Pro unfortunately, I dont like USPS Priority Mail, dont know why Alessandro can not send it via EMS
rolleyes.gif
I hope that MS-Pro arrive me ok becose I am not sure about insurance my package. My english is bad for describe sound and my EF1 has only 20 hour burn but I think very good synergy with AKG, it gave warmer sounding, deep bass, nice soundstage, overall sweet sound in many ways as dynamic, readability etc. but I'm not expert on sound it is my first full size amp
smile.gif
only my oppinion. I didnt expect wide difference with amp but difference is more than hearable for me.

Sweet. Thanx

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #50 of 348
just recieved my ef1, and even though it has only seen a few hours of use, i am quite pleased with it so far, as it gives quite a performance boost to both the yamaha hp50 and pmb85 compared to both my portable amp and beresford headphone-out. (as expected
floatsmile.png
)

havent had time to try out my other phones yet, and i dont have any experience with other desktop amps, so my opinion really isnt worth a lot
redface.gif

the only problem i have so far is that it has a slight channel imbalance if the volume dial is set very low (about eight O´Clock) , but this is easily countered by lowering the volume on my source.

might be something that goes away with burn-in though.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #52 of 348
The RCA is a very nice tube. Two other great (and different sounding) tubes to try would be a Tung-Sol black-glass and a Mullard CV4003. Both are a little "tubier" sounding than the RCA.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #54 of 348
wonder how Brimar 13D5 would sound?? I got my amp in yesterday, initial test are very positive, im loving it. Slight channel imbalance at very low volume, and the acrylic window was installed backwards, but that was an easy fix.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #56 of 348
Never heard a Brimar 13D5, but I'm sure they would sound good. I checked on EBay and there is someone selling a ton of these right now but they all barely measure good.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #57 of 348
just orderd me one to have with my DT150. you guys think it will be good? just had to have it for 299$.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #58 of 348

Dec 27, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #60 of 348
just about ready to take the plunge with this amp. looking to pair with akg 701 hoping for deeper more controlled bass and larger soundstage (more 3d) than my current amp go-vibe v5s (8610/20) with 24 volt elpac. do you guys think this is the amp to do it with? I was also considering k.i.c.a.s but soundstage was not reviewed well. also wanted to spend less than 400 dollars. any recomendation for modding? is the op-amp that comes with it ok or should i look for other op-amp? also thinking of euro tubes that supposedly have bigger soundstage and cost more. anyone know if its worth it to spend more than $50 for tubes? how much difference does it make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back