HE400 Comfort Questions :/
Oct 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sanotter

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I have been set on getting the HE400's for a while now but have a couple of questions about comfort(and 1 about amps..)

Ok, I need to be able to wear these headphones for about 2-4 hours straight. I'd like some opinions on this, and if they are not comfy enough for that, is there any way to improve it? (I will be getting the velour pads put on)

and on the topic, what amp would make the HE400's sound their best? preferably an amp/dac combo. (i was thinking a 

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1?)

If anyone has other recommendations for the same price or cheaper, please feel free too say! I am coming from M-audio Q40's - A crazy clampy can that i can't wear for longer than 20 minutes; Very annoying.

Thanks,

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 7
For 2-4h non-stop use I think their comfort is below average,
due to their weight.
I also found the optional velour pads too stiff and a little itchy.

In the end I sold mine. But that's just my personal opinion.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 7
The he400 is comfortable enough for most. I'm very sensitive to clamp and weight and was still okay to wear them for about two hours at a time. If they would stap a heavier pad on the headband, I think that I could wear them longer. As Jerg said, the velours make a nice improvement on the comfort and on the SQ as well. Overall, a fantastic hp!!

gL!!

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 7
I personally don't have any problems with the weight at all. I can wear them for several hours no problem with the velours(pleather gets too hot).
The clamping isn't too bad either, they're not vice grips by any means.

I love how they sound off of the Asgard. I'm using my STX as a DAC so I can't comment on any external DACs.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I was concerned about their comfort as well, but they're really not bad. If you bend the headband (easy) you can basically get rid of all uncomfortable clamp, and you won't really notice the weight unless you have a long/skinny neck. It might strain your neck muscles for a bit if you do, but I stopped noticing the weight after a day or two. I can wear them for 4-5 hours at a time with the velour pads.

(Will be) Running them off a Bifrost/Lyr stack right now, but I think that's a bit outside of what you're asking for :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I personally don't have any problems with the weight at all. I can wear them for several hours no problem with the velours(pleather gets too hot).
The clamping isn't too bad either, they're not vice grips by any means.

I love how they sound off of the Asgard. I'm using my STX as a DAC so I can't comment on any external DACs.

First off, they take physically getting used to, both on the head and the sound sensation of pressure. the headband is not spectacular but good enough for a few hours. They are not comfort kings ( have the D5000 here and the mad dogs and had the dt990 premiums two months ago, it just doesn't get better than those.), but with the velours they feel snug and nice while not clamping too much at all.

I would say just get them and if you really cant' stand it after a week buy a Beyer headband cover for them, I might do this anyway. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back