HE-6 Loaner Program
Jul 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #108 of 903
Hi,

I need some help. I just picked up the NAD C315 BEE, which should arrive today, specifically so I can properly audition the loaner HE-6 but now I don't know if I can use this amp because I'm not sure if the spades will work.

Below are links to pics of the back of the amp.

http://www.stereodrom.com/public/catalogo_newstereodrom/687.jpg

http://www.yeswehaveawebsite.com/Home_Audio/ Audio_Components/Integrated_Amplifiers/NAD/C315BEE_Back_L.jpg

Please tell me if there's a way I can use the HE-6 with that configuration. If not, suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for your help.

Peace,

Ross

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #109 of 903
that amp can probably accept spades, since it has what appear to be 5-way binding posts

however, are you sure the HE6 will be coming with spades?  i thought just bare wire (which would still work with your amp)

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #110 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug  
" that amp can definitely accept spades, since it has what appear to be 5-way binding posts
however, are you sure the HE6 will be coming with spades?  i thought just bare wire (which would still work with your amp)"

I believe the amp I picked up accept banana terminals. I don't think they can take spades. I'll know when it arrives (hopefully) today. I hope it does come with bare wires as I can buy the bananas or just use the bare wires. If the HE-6 comes with spades and the amp only uses banana, I'm screwed as I don't want to mess with the cable.

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #112 of 903

Quote:
Hi,

I need some help. I just picked up the NAD C315 BEE, which should arrive today, specifically so I can properly audition the loaner HE-6 but now I don't know if I can use this amp because I'm not sure if the spades will work.

Below are links to pics of the back of the amp.

http://www.stereodrom.com/public/catalogo_newstereodrom/687.jpg

http://www.yeswehaveawebsite.com/Home_Audio/ Audio_Components/Integrated_Amplifiers/NAD/C315BEE_Back_L.jpg

Please tell me if there's a way I can use the HE-6 with that configuration. If not, suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for your help.

Peace,

Ross

Spade lugs should work fine with the 5-way binding posts shown in the illustration you linked.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #114 of 903
OK. I received my loaner pair last night. They were sent to Fang instead of directly to me in error. It was just a really good excuse to see Fang's beautiful wife once again.
Out of the box impressions (since then I have been running them for 18 hours straight): The Bass is definitely stronger and deeper than the 5LE's.
They also have more detail and the highs are a bit bright out of the box, which should tame down with some time on them, but have a realism about them that bests the HE-5LE's. The detail is beautiful.
I was listing to Hiromi for piano and Jane Monheit for female vocals and I was extremely impressed.
They are covered in brown leather (I guess Head-Direct was listening when people at Canjam said that the HE-5, He-5LE and HE-6 all look the same).
Not any more. They are noticeably heavier than the 5LE's and I asked Fang and he said they used more magnets for the bass and detail. The
surrounding metal plates are made from some sort of gold alloy. On your head, they extra heaviness is not detectable, as these headphones are as comfortable as comfortable gets. They can be worn for hours on end, and the earpads and headband are done with a touch of class. Also, included, there is another set of screws for those who want to re-cable, so you don't have to go looking for the terminations. Nice touch.

The loaner pair came with multiple connection options for playback. The cables still screw into the earpieces, with a 4 pin Neutrik termination, but in the loaner box, there were several cables, including a tinned cable for spade connections, a banana plug connection cable and a standard 1/4" termination, which all connect to the 4 pin XLR. Also, the box, instead of just being wood is encased a soft leather or pleather finish, like the HM-801's.

Right now, I am using a pair or Dared VP300b Quasi-monoblocks which output 6 watts from the speaker taps, with a beautiful pair of Sophia Princess 300B's for output and a pair of 12au7's for input that I bought from Jack Wu. This amp also has a pre-amp
built in, so they have their own volume controls. 
If you are in the loaner program, please be advised that most headphone amps, even with the 1/4" adapter, will not output enough power for the HE-6's and you will need a speaker amp to supply adequate power to drive these puppies to their fullest potential.
You will also need a pre-amp, I use the EF-5 which does a lovely job when using my Adcom 100w.p.c. dedicated amp. The EF-5
acts as a wonderful pre-amp for those of you who have one.

After 18 hours, the bass tightened up nicely and the brightness of the highs subsided.

I have found that the HE-6 does a really a nice job with everything that you can through at it. From Metallica's "Reload" to Diana Kralls "Girl in the other Room"
I can't really find anything bad to say about them. They are going to priced to be competitive with the LCD-2's and as a loyalty ownership, there will be a an additional discount to anyone who has already an HE-5 or 5LE but I don't know what that discount is going to be.
Perhaps Fang can chime in on the pricing structure,

After a week, the loaner pair is going to go to baka1969 and then another gentleman in Philly (close by Baka1969) and then to DannyB. After that it will go to Warp08 in Virginia (shipping logistics) and then Fang will make a list of the other 10 people based on shorter shipping distances.
In the west, after HeadphoneAddict, it will probably go to ASR (another Colorado resident), and then over to nonsexual and make it's way through the west (whichever has the shortest shipping time, so everyone will get it in the shortest time possible.

More impressions to follow after 100 hours.

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #115 of 903
My LCD-2 is on the way, and hopefully I will have my HE-5 back soon; if I make the cut it will be a three-way planar showdown!

PS: I think tinned bare leads would be best, as far as the speaker wire termination is concerned. It will also have 4-pin XLR and standard 1/4" stereo phono plug options, right?

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #116 of 903
Since a "list" has not been published here to my knowledge, but people seem to know if they've been selected or not, I have to assume that I was not selected.  Thanks for your impressions so far immtbiker.

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #117 of 903
I think they're scared of the LCD-2 fanboys
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #118 of 903

Quote:
Since a "list" has not been published here to my knowledge, but people seem to know if they've been selected or not, I have to assume that I was not selected.  Thanks for your impressions so far immtbiker.

You are on the west coast list, Kevin. Whatever happened to our swap?

Jul 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #119 of 903
aww, they pass right by me :frowning2: 

ty for the early impressions!  these cans definitely excite me

Quote:
After a week, the loaner pair is going to go to baka1969 and then another gentleman in Philly (close by Baka1969) and then to DannyB. After that it will go to Warp08 in Virginia (shipping logistics) and then Fang will make a list of the other 10 people based on shorter shipping distances.
In the west, after HeadphoneAddict, it will probably go to ASE (another Colorado resident), and then over to nonsexual and make it's way through the west (whichever has the shortest shipping time, so everyone will get it in the shortest time possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back