HE-6 Loaner Program
Sep 16, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #586 of 903
I think a review program such as this helps both Fang and the community as a whole. I don't see these kind of programs very often esp one that from the impressions is supposed to compete with your HD800, T1, or whatever top tier headphone out there. I can't remember there being a T1, HD800, LC-2, etc loaner program so this is quite nice for those participating
smily_headphones1.gif
He's also trusting those involved with a product of whom most of the participants he has never met I imagine. This also give Fang good feedback to know what can be improved on or changed to make a better product. That in itself is great for all potential buyers to know that Fang isn't just sitting there but working hard to make his product even better.

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #587 of 903
I like that he is changing the product, but I do worry about his statement about making them more efficient. That can change everything, depending on what it is he's changing.

I agree with the others that this is a Beta test. If all else fails and the final product is not to your liking, but the prototype was, you can simply return it or perhaps request to purchase one of the loaner pairs, instead of the release version you already have, at a discount (condition can't be spotless with this many people handling and shipping them).

I hope these continue to sound best with speaker type amps as it will certainly broaden horizons opening up a whole new wing for headphone gearing. K1000 did this in very limited fashion, but most high end headphone amps can handle K1000 no problem. This doesn't appear to be the case with the HE-6. If anything this will streamline my home system dramatically. Instead of a speaker amp and headphone amp, I'll only need 1. Selling my headphone amp and current headphones (and cable) will cover the entire cost of the HE-6 if we are indeed looking at a $1000 price point. I'll take a possibly huge upgrade in sound quality (from all reports) for free any day.

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #588 of 903

Quote:
Fang made changes based on the criticism in the loaner program, trying to make it better. I think we should all appreciate that.

Where are the criticisms so far? I guess if everyone likes it like this, then the only issues left are how to quickly produce it and the quality control.

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #589 of 903

Quote:
Where are the criticisms so far? I guess if everyone likes it like this, then the only issues left is how to quickly produce it and the quality control.

Several have reported liking the LCD2 better, among a few assorted headphones (O2, R10, etc). Their comments accompany constructive criticism.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #590 of 903

Quote:
my message was clear as an Ikea universal assembly instruction sheet. 
deadhorse.gif

Thanks.

it doesn't get much simpler than Ikea - i hope you included drawings 
beerchug.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #591 of 903

Quote:
Where are the criticisms so far? I guess if everyone likes it like this, then the only issues left are how to quickly produce it and the quality control.

I will be posting my impressions on the HE6 by early next week.  There are some improvements that can be made on the 6 my biggest  so far is the cable.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #594 of 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it doesn't get much simpler than Ikea - i hope you included drawings

It's not that hard to make your own headphones. Here is my first attempt at a DIY ortho headphone:

Sep 18, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #595 of 903
"Here is my first attempt at a DIY ortho headphone:"

Not so smart to post your secret design on the internet. It's clear a lot of time and money went into this design. Now Sennheiser and Grado and Stax, among others, will steal it. I think you just blew making millions by not keeping your fantastic design secret.

Oh well, I guess some learn the hard way. Next time, contact me and for a "small" consulting fee I will help you navigate through the world of successful product development and marketing. I guaranty you will only lose a lot of money. Feel free to let me know if you need help on any other projects.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #598 of 903

If I knew it was THAT hard to drive I wouldn't have gotten involved.. Very hard to compare my 5ohm NAGRAs with a headphones that needs gobs of power with a amp that cannot commidate it.. Albeit under powered still amazed me (Mid range naturalness & low distortion/Black blackground) in certain areas.. It just makes it that much harder to compare & contrast the virtues of both phones.. Makes me assume which I don't like to do.. I will have my final comments & comparisons with my NAGRA's Sunday or Monday.. The HE6 would be hard not to buy if it was more drivable with conventional headphone amps..
Quote:
Yeah, this actually bugs me a little bit too about this loaner program.  I mean, why didn't Fang just wait till he was done with the HE-6 before starting this program and letting people give their impressions on the headphones.  I feel that the fact we are listening to prototypes our opinions useless considering the amplification needs will change as well as other tweaks.  Let me guess...the final production version will only have the positives mentioned in the reviews and none of the negative criticisms brought up by people
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #599 of 903
Sep 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #600 of 903
Where did Fang say that he will be changing them in sound and efficiency?  I don't see that anywhere here...

Fang, do you know if you're going to change the looks?  It would be a small bummer to spend a lot of time making nice photographs if they're going to get a new headband or something...  but still worth it I suppose.

I waited around for the HE6 today but it didn't show, looks like Monday.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back