HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
May 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #166 of 846
I originally posted on the high end forum concerning the HE-500's.  I've got a pair on order and I'll also be getting the Burson HA-160D/DAC.  I use a Zune for my front end and just realized I either need a dock or a usb adapter.  I'm overseas and I left two perfectly good docks at home.  I don't have any other amps to compare with, but I do have Beyer DT-770's on my head and a pair of Denon AH-D7000 on the way.

May 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #167 of 846
Quote:
I originally posted on the high end forum concerning the HE-500's.  I've got a pair on order and I'll also be getting the Burson HA-160D/DAC.  I use a Zune for my front end and just realized I either need a dock or a usb adapter.  I'm overseas and I left two perfectly good docks at home.  I don't have any other amps to compare with, but I do have Beyer DT-770's on my head and a pair of Denon AH-D7000 on the way.

You should also take a look at the Violectric V200.  They seem real popular on head-fi with the HE-500 and LCD-2.  It puts out some serious power.

Just throwing another option out there.

May 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #168 of 846
The V200 is only 1.7 watts at 32ohms, Not saying this wont power them but for the price I feel the Lyr is much better...considering it's not $1000.

May 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #169 of 846
Quote:
The V200 is only 1.7 watts at 32ohms, Not saying this wont power them but for the price I feel the Lyr is much better...considering it's not $1000.

the v200 put out 2.7w into 50 ohms and is a world class amp that powers the He500 to majestic sound quality. Have you heard the V200? If not how can you say the cheap is better. Two different classes for sure

May 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #170 of 846
Well, I've pulled the trigger on the Burson so what's done is done. From what I've been reading in the reviews, the V200 is a good option for someone who wants tube sound without the tubes which is why I'd certainly consider it. But if that's the case, why not just get tubes? The choices are daunting - I don't want to fall into the "audio gear as jewelry" trap and spend 1/3 more on the price of a piece of equipment due to it's visual appeal. This seems to be what happens when one ends up choosing based solely on reviews. But then again, reviews, and NOT first hand demos - are how I have selected the Burson, HE-500 and the AH-D7000's. What provides slim comfort is the amount of reviews to be had on these items.

May 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #171 of 846
Quote:
the v200 put out 2.7w into 50 ohms and is a world class amp that powers the He500 to majestic sound quality. Have you heard the V200? If not how can you say the cheap is better. Two different classes for sure

Oh, thats not what I saw on the website. I might have looked at the wrong stats...I was saying cheaper is better based off the fact that what I read said it only pushed 1.7 watts. where as the lyr not only has great synergy but amps them incredibly well.

May 20, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #173 of 846
Quote:
You get your replacement HE-500 yet whitecrow?  I still mean to let you compare the two hifimans.

Oh yea, lol they have last week. Perfect condition.

May 20, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #174 of 846
Quote:
Oh, thats not what I saw on the website. I might have looked at the wrong stats...I was saying cheaper is better based off the fact that what I read said it only pushed 1.7 watts. where as the lyr not only has great synergy but amps them incredibly well.

Rule number one if you have never heard a product you should not comment on the product and say something else is better. The V200 is a top tier product that is very synergistic with the HE500 and well worth consideration if you can afford it in your system

May 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #176 of 846
Quote:
Rule number one if you have never heard a product you should not comment on the product and say something else is better. The V200 is a top tier product that is very synergistic with the HE500 and well worth consideration if you can afford it in your system

Ironic considering you have never heard the Lyr.

May 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #177 of 846

This. The HE500 is fine with just about any decent quality amp that will put out 1W into 50Ω. You really don't even need that much, but most hardcore head-fiers are into overkill so 1W is a good reference.

Ironic considering you have never heard the Lyr.

I have, and it's a fine amp, but it's waaaaaay overkill for the HE-500.

May 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #178 of 846
If you're deciding between the Lyr and V200 for the HE-500, you can do so based solely on synergy -- both have power output that far exceeds what the HE-500 need to sound their best.

When it comes to synergy, the differences between the two amps are profound. I believe Frank titled his V200 review "The Smooth Operator." This perfectly matches my impressions as well -- the V200 gives the HE-500 a smooth, balanced sound that's somewhat reminiscent of the HD600 (though better in all aspects, IMO). The Lyr, on the other hand, does its best to turn the HE-500 into Grados (as it does with all easy-to-drive headphones, IMO). The silky smoothness is replaced with a more exciting, slightly treble-centric sound and more intimate soundstage and imaging.

I personally preferred the V200 over the Lyr, but they're both fine choices (if quite dissimilar) for the HE-500.

May 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #179 of 846
Quote:
If you're deciding between the Lyr and V200 for the HE-500, you can do so based solely on synergy -- both have power output that far exceeds what the HE-500 need to sound their best.

When it comes to synergy, the differences between the two amps are profound. I believe Frank titled his V200 review "The Smooth Operator." This perfectly matches my impressions as well -- the V200 gives the HE-500 a smooth, balanced sound that's somewhat reminiscent of the HD600 (though better in all aspects, IMO). The Lyr, on the other hand, does its best to turn the HE-500 into Grados (as it does with all easy-to-drive headphones, IMO). The silky smoothness is replaced with a more exciting, slightly treble-centric sound and more intimate soundstage and imaging.

I personally preferred the V200 over the Lyr, but they're both fine choices (if quite dissimilar) for the HE-500.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The Lyr gives them a Bass bump and I thought the treble stayed relatively the same going form the MKII and unamped.

May 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #180 of 846
Quote:
Couldn't disagree with you more. The Lyr gives them a Bass bump and I thought the treble stayed relatively the same going form the MKII and unamped.

I think this all comes down to how each person perceives the sound.  I don't see that there really is a right or wrong answer to either opinion.  Also, for those who are the readers of the forum here, I'd suggest that they take the time to listen to the particular amps as opposed to going off of what you've said vs. the post that you've replied to.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back