HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #436 of 3,819
Quote:
Hey all! I'm about to join the fray with my HE-5LEs and an Emotiva mini-x a-100. The Emotiva will be here hopefully any minute now. I'll be sure to post some impressions when it arrives.

welcome to the club
Your world will have more bass now

Mike

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #437 of 3,819
Quote:
Preproman, I read your write-up of your a-100 impressions with some of your various headphones (page 17). I was wondering if you could elaborate more as to how the a-100 performs with the HE-6. I'm considering getting the HE-6 / a-100 combo in the future as my first high end setup. Thanks!

I think it's the perfect budget amp for the HE-6 and the HE-5LE.  For the HE-500, yeah it works great.  However, you can get the same results on some high quality headphone amps.   The main difference is the a-100 only cost $179 right now.  That's a real steal.  

Note:

I had the Mjolinr here the past weekend.  To me they some very similar.  So for $179 most of the heavy talked about amps can't beat it out right.  IMO...

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #438 of 3,819
Quote:

I think it's the perfect budget amp for the HE-6 and the HE-5LE.  For the HE-500, yeah it works great.  However, you can get the same results on some high quality headphone amps.   The main difference is the a-100 only cost $179 right now.  That's a real steal.  

Note:

I had the Mjolinr here the past weekend.  To me they some very similar.  So for $179 most of the heavy talked about amps can't beat it out right.  IMO...

What headphones did you use with the mjolnir?

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #439 of 3,819
Quote:
What headphones did you use with the mjolnir?

The only headphone I really liked with it was the LCD-3s and the LCD-2.  To me the amp is very non flexible.   Meaning, not pairing well with a wide range of headphones.  I like it for what it does.  It's just to much of a beast.  No finesse at all.  My B22 out shined it with more headphones.

I'm still thinking about getting one because how good it sound with the LCDxx

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #440 of 3,819
Quote:

The only headphone I really liked with it was the LCD-3s and the LCD-2.  To me the amp is very non flexible.   Meaning, not pairing well with a wide range of headphones.  I like it for what it does.  It's just to much of a beast.  No finesse at all.  My B22 out shined it with more headphones.

I'm still thinking about getting one because how good it sound with the LCDxx

Yup that's why I'm planning on getting one, simply only for my future lcd3s. So basically what you're saying is that a mini x/lcd3 rig gets really close to a mjolnir/lcd3 rig?

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #446 of 3,819
What difference do you notice?

popcorn.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #447 of 3,819
Quote:
What difference do you notice?

popcorn.gif

Well, the thing is my Aune T1 was barely getting the job done at all in the amping department. With the Emotiva, the HE-5LE is driven effortlessly. There is more bass presence, more bass slam, and a larger soundstage. Everything is better. One nice thing is that I'm using the T1 as a tube DAC, so tube choice impacts the sound as well. I've chosen a fairly mid-centric, euphonic tube, which makes the HE-5LE sound rich, full, and impactful. There is a little bit of sacrifice with respect to top end detail and soundstage with this tube, but overall I'm quite pleased. I will be trying out new tubes as I acquire them to see how that affects things.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #448 of 3,819
Lord or Lord i am so glad i found this thread, was about to pull the trigger on a lyr but the price on this is aamzing! One question though, do you think there is still more to gain from upgrading to the UPA-200 version? Looks like it has double the power, not sure if this is a good thing though. Is the mini able to get the he-500 to the ceiling or do you think there is more that can be squeezed out of them?

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #449 of 3,819
Quote:
Lord or Lord i am so glad i found this thread, was about to pull the trigger on a lyr but the price on this is aamzing! One question though, do you think there is still more to gain from upgrading to the UPA-200 version? Looks like it has double the power, not sure if this is a good thing though. Is the mini able to get the he-500 to the ceiling or do you think there is more that can be squeezed out of them?

It is as far as you want to go power-wise.
The Mini-X is on the edge already (you might not be able to go past 9oclock on the volume pot.

The UPA-200 would be a waste, as they wouldnt be usable with the HE-500.

Now for the HE-6 (recently bought these babies and lovin them, even underamped, but the Mini is coming soon) that is a question I cant answer, but they most likely would :D

Cheers! Enjoy your new buy :) Luke

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #450 of 3,819
Well, the thing is my Aune T1 was barely getting the job done at all in the amping department. With the Emotiva, the HE-5LE is driven effortlessly. There is more bass presence, more bass slam, and a larger soundstage. Everything is better. One nice thing is that I'm using the T1 as a tube DAC, so tube choice impacts the sound as well. I've chosen a fairly mid-centric, euphonic tube, which makes the HE-5LE sound rich, full, and impactful. There is a little bit of sacrifice with respect to top end detail and soundstage with this tube, but overall I'm quite pleased. I will be trying out new tubes as I acquire them to see how that affects things.

Ever thought pairing ur tube dac with a tube amp?:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back