HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Dec 31, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #2,971 of 3,819
  Okay I'm sold on Emotiva (with Quickie) with the HD800 as well. It's better than Crack. There I said it. Koiloco will agree with me that it pairs well with the Emotiva. It's something with our batch. We both bought from Amazon during the special $890 sale and the serial numbers are 25XXX to 26XXX. It's not sibilant at all. Koiloco and I have listened to the same HD800 that belonged to a mutual friend of ours, and we both thought it had sibilance and treble problems, but when we received ours today, those problems were nonexistent. We did some measurements to confirm this. My set peaks at 5.5KHz and then tapers off. Worn for hours now, no fatigue at all. In fact, I get more fatigue from HE-500 and its bass impact. Koiloco said he tried our mutual friend's HD800 with the Emotiva and it sounded horrible, which is a stark contrast to our HD800s we received today paired with the Emotiva.

Seriously wondering if Sennheiser did a recent revision.

One drawback is it seems to have a higher noise floor than HE-500 when paired with Emotiva.

Sonido, these new HD800s we have don't seem to have that obvious treble spike like in our common friend's unit.  However, IMO, the Emotiva/HD800 combo is still pretty far from good synergy in comparison to amps such as WA22 and even your crack.  Maybe with your chain, use the crack to control the output on the Emotiva to even things out a bit.  Emotiva is great for HE500 but I still don't think it will be a good fit for HP such as the HD800.
I do agree with you about the fatigue improvement.  My HD800 still sounds "steely" and "lifeless" as I remember from 2 weeks with Jing's but seems to be more tamed across the FR.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,972 of 3,819
  Sonido, these new HD800s we have don't seem to have that obvious treble spike like in our common friend's unit.  However, IMO, the Emotiva/HD800 combo is still pretty far from good synergy in comparison to amps such as WA22 and even your crack.  Maybe with your chain, use the crack to control the output on the Emotiva to even things out a bit.  Emotiva is great for HE500 but I still don't think it will be a good fit for HP such as the HD800.
I do agree with you about the fatigue improvement.  My HD800 still sounds "steely" and "lifeless" as I remember from 2 weeks with Jing's but seems to be more tamed across the FR.

Have you tried the combo with a quickie?

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,973 of 3,819

Yeah I didn't spend much time with just Emotiva alone with the HD800. I'll have to do more detailed comparison, but I think through Emotiva and Quickie it sounds better than Crack.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,974 of 3,819

Have you tried the combo with a quickie?

I don't have quickie.  Sonido has one.  I am getting an adapter today to try feeding my WA22 into Emotiva => Hd800/HE500.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,975 of 3,819
I don't have quickie.  Sonido has one.  I am getting an adapter today to try feeding my WA22 into Emotiva => Hd800/HE500.
Ooo keep me updated pls :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,976 of 3,819

When you say lifeless, can you explain? Is it still this way even through the WA22? I felt the HD800 was polite sounding through just my D3 or Crack. By that I mean, you definitely could hear the the technical superiorities like details, but the overall sound wasn't very engaging, especially with rock/pop genres. Vocals were not intimate, and the sounds were almost a bit too clean cut. A visual metaphor I could make would be like a fine arts gallery, where paintings are spread out and the environment is very posh and people there stand from afar to observe, not too close, and it's not crowded. Idk, but that's the vibe it gives off.
redface.gif

Graphically, a metaphor could be a very high res, but no anti-aliased image.

Is that kinda what you mean by lifeless?

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,977 of 3,819

When you say lifeless, can you explain? Is it still this way even through the WA22? I felt the HD800 was polite sounding through just my D3 or Crack. By that I mean, you definitely could hear the the technical superiorities like details, but the overall sound wasn't very engaging, especially with rock/pop genres. Vocals were not intimate, and the sounds were almost a bit too clean cut. A visual metaphor I could make would be like a fine arts gallery, where paintings are spread out and the environment is very posh and people there stand from afar to observe, not too close, and it's not crowded. Idk, but that's the vibe it gives off.
redface.gif

Graphically, a metaphor could be a very high res, but no anti-aliased image.

Is that kinda what you mean by lifeless?

Yup, you got it 100%.  I don't even have to try but still hear every details.  The WA22 does warm the HD800 up a bit but the HD800's sound signature is still very injected.  I am trying some "softer" driver/power tubes tonite.  TS 5998 and ken rad VT231 do wonder for HE500 but seem too mid-focus and pushing out more high/sparkling for HD800.  RCA grey class might tame the HD800 a bit more in the high.  One thing I would say is that HD800 complement HE500 well.  
biggrin.gif

Also, I start seeing why some people say WA2 could be the better choice for HD800.  You don't need a lot of pwr for HD800.  Indeed, too much pwr(even 1.5w on the WA22 being a mid centric amp) could push the HD800 out of balance and make its mid a little too forward.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #2,979 of 3,819
I have had a Trends Audio TA-10.1 on loan for 1-2 weeks. It's built on the Tripath TA2024 and is rated at 10W into 8 ohms (10% THD+N) and 6W into 8 ohms (0.1% THD+N). Even though it is lowpowered I can hear a slight hiss, when no music is playing. It seems that amplifier design says more than mere power, when it comes to 'background noise'.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #2,980 of 3,819
  I have had a Trends Audio TA-10.1 on loan for 1-2 weeks. It's built on the Tripath TA2024 and is rated at 10W into 8 ohms (10% THD+N) and 6W into 8 ohms (0.1% THD+N). Even though it is lowpowered I can hear a slight hiss, when no music is playing. It seems that amplifier design says more than mere power, when it comes to 'background noise'.

Too many details missing to make such a statement. S/N ratio, distortion to power ratio, volume pot control & level, implementation, capacitor choice, and so much more will all play a part.

Gain also has a major impact on the noise floor. If you don't know the default gain of that amp, that is part of the problem. If it is adjustable, you can reduce the noise floor by quite a bit.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2,981 of 3,819

Unplug the source from the TA2024 amp and see if the hiss is still there. I have several TA chip amps and they're all completely silent at full volume with HE500 cans.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #2,982 of 3,819

Try it on battery power. It should be dead quiet. I used this amp for quite some time to power desktop speakers, but when you get to its power limits the distortion figures quickly start to look rather ugly. If I had mine still had it around I would have loved to try it with my HE-500s.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #2,983 of 3,819
Quote:
  Unplug the source from the TA2024 amp and see if the hiss is still there. I have several TA chip amps and they're all completely silent at full volume with HE500 cans.

No source and volume turned all the way down.

Too many details missing to make such a statement. S/N ratio, distortion to power ratio, volume pot control & level, implementation, capacitor choice, and so much more will all play a part.

Gain also has a major impact on the noise floor. If you don't know the default gain of that amp, that is part of the problem. If it is adjustable, you can reduce the noise floor by quite a bit.

I was just stating that you can get hiss from a relatively lowpowered speaker amp. Not that the TA2024 itself is noisy. Don't think the TA-10.1 has a gain switch.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,984 of 3,819

Rega Apollo -> Trends Audio TA-10.1 -> HE-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back