HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Nov 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2,341 of 3,819

Silly me, you're right. I don't see any 4-pin XLR to female TRS plugs on that website... I guess you could also just get a 4-pin XLR and a TRS female separately and join them with wire. You could connect the TRS sleeve to either negative pin on the XLR. The unconnected negative pin's banana plug wouldn't need to be connected. Screw terminal plugs are harder to find but do exist if you don't want to solder. 

Yeah, I'll see if this I'll solder it myself or order/add in another silver adapter to maintain high quality. For D2000, wire quality isn't too big of a deal as I have the stock cable and recabling is just not worth it. Although for a TH-900 in the future it might be worth it. I'm already loving the LCD-3 with Emotiva so much right now. If the D2000s sound good as well, then I guess the TH-900 will as well. After that, just pick up a killer DAC and kill it a year.

I'll talk to the Ebay seller about a 500 ohm or maybe Headphone Lounge.

...but that First Watt though.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,342 of 3,819
I might just do this: http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/~/product/category=2609202&id=14641214

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #2,343 of 3,819
A lot people on this thread have mentioned BTG Audio. I just spoke with Brian today in fact; he seems like a knowledgeable guy. I tried to go DIY because I'm too impatient to wait. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #2,344 of 3,819
  A lot people on this thread have mentioned BTG Audio. I just spoke with Brian today in fact; he seems like a knowledgeable guy. I tried to go DIY because I'm too impatient to wait. 

Yeah 2-3 wait period for the order to get made...and then shipping time :frowning2:

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #2,346 of 3,819
  Just a quick question. I'm not really understanding all this stuff revolving around the 500 ohm resistor. Why is it advantageous if at all? Also, what is the difference between 4 strand and 8 strand?

You are not alone, my friend.... I don't understand the 500 ohm resistor, either.  I missed something somewhere...

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #2,347 of 3,819
For low impedance, and low sensitivity, aka (most) planars...the high current of Emotiva is helpful. Althoug to connect low impedance and high sensitivity headphones like D2000, the Emotiva gives too much current and gain. To reduce that and make it controllable, we add a resistor of varying ohms.

Voltage = current x resistance

So if you add a resistor in the Emotiva chain, the resistance will go up. Now to maintain the voltage, the current must go down. I might have phrased that awkwardly, but it's 3 PM here and I'm tired so hopefully someone will explain this better.

Not sure about the 4 vs 8 strand thingy...not opening that can of worm....again.......not yet
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2,348 of 3,819
  Also, what is the difference between 4 strand and 8 strand?

According to the web site in question it said..

It is not recommended that you purchase 4 strand wire for Banana plugs because they wire is so thin. Sleeved cable will also not work with Banana plug adapters.
Purchasing sleeved wire for the banana plugs will be considered a donation to my college fund, and non-sleeved wire will be shipped out.

The y needs to be taken out

Nov 10, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,349 of 3,819
  Just a quick question. I'm not really understanding all this stuff revolving around the 500 ohm resistor. Why is it advantageous if at all? Also, what is the difference between 4 strand and 8 strand?

If you run easy to run headphones with a powerful speaker amplifier you'll barely be able to move the volume knob before you get to the max loudness you can stand. You may also hear hiss because of the low amplified signal to amp noise ratio. Adding the resistors (1 per channel) adds some load and makes the amp work harder so it has to put out more amplified signal for the same volume in the headset and boosts the amped signal to noise ratio you actually hear.

It sounds like the 8 strand is just a smaller gauge (thicker) wire but even if they were the same thickness more strands gives more metal surface for the electrons to skate along on so more strands should conduct (and maybe sound) better. But you don't need thick wire for a speaker adapter because your headphone wires are thin at typically 21 to 28 gauge. Most speaker wires run from 8 to 16 gauge.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,350 of 3,819

If you run easy to run headphones with a powerful powerful speaker amplifier you'll barely be able to move the volume knob when you get to the max loudness you can stand. You may also hear hiss because of the low amplified signal to amp noise ratio. Adding the resistors (1 per channel) adds some load and makes the amp work harder so it has to put out more amplified signal for the same volume in the headset and boosts the amped signal to noise ratio you actually hear.

It sounds like the 8 strand is just a smaller gauge (thicker) wire but even if they were the same thickness more strands gives more metal surface for the electrons to skate along on so more strands should conduct (and maybe sound) better. But you don't need thick wire for a speaker adapter because your headphone wires are thin at typically 21 to 28 gauge. Most speaker wires run from 8 to 16 gauge.

So, you are putting a resistor inline as a voltage drop and current limiter... Guess as long as they are planar headphones you don't care too much, but dynamic headphones will change sound signature due to the change in frequency response you are inducing with the resistor.  Better to build a proper resistor divider network...

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,351 of 3,819
Kinda tried to say that some time ago...

Nov 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #2,352 of 3,819
Anyone want to explain what a resistor divider network is and how it works? The purpose of using an inline resistor for me is reducing hiss and extending the usable range on the volume knob. Does a resistor divider network accomplish these goals more effectively?

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,353 of 3,819
  So, you are putting a resistor inline as a voltage drop and current limiter... Guess as long as they are planar headphones you don't care too much, but dynamic headphones will change sound signature due to the change in frequency response you are inducing with the resistor.  Better to build a proper resistor divider network...

Yes, resistors can change the frequency response but most that have tried it with speaker amps are happy with the results (much of what is written about this subject concerns headphone amps). The result is very subjective and dependant on the headphones used, the resistor value, the amp and most importantly the listener. I'm a believer in the subjective sq school, "If it sounds good to you it is good."

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #2,354 of 3,819

Yes, resistors can change the frequency response but most that have tried it with speaker amps are happy with the results (much of what is written about this subject concerns headphone amps). The result is very subjective and dependant on the headphones used, the resistor value, the amp and most importantly the listener. I'm a believer in the subjective sq school, "If it sounds good to you it is good."

I agree to a point.  If you can make it better and you have a lightbulb moment, so much the better!

Yes, a properly designed and executed resistor box is superior to a high impedance inline with your headphones.  Lots of folks with experience and even circuit designs over in the speaker amps for headphones thread...

IMHO, YMMV... blah blah...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back