HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,966 of 3,819
I've got a slightly off-topic question, but I figured this would be a good place to ask. I'm currently using the HE-400 with an OTL tube amp (Little Dot Mk3), and I was wondering -- can I to add resistors to the HE-400 in order to present a higher impedance load to the amp? I've been thinking about getting the Emotiva, but playing around with resistors seems like a cheaper way to drive my HE-400s in a more suitable manner. Does this make any sense? Is there any kind of premade jack I can just plug into the TRS out of the amp? Something like the etymotic ER4p/s adaptor? 

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,967 of 3,819
  I've got a slightly off-topic question, but I figured this would be a good place to ask. I'm currently using the HE-400 with an OTL tube amp (Little Dot Mk3), and I was wondering -- can I to add resistors to the HE-400 in order to present a higher impedance load to the amp? I've been thinking about getting the Emotiva, but playing around with resistors seems like a cheaper way to drive my HE-400s in a more suitable manner. Does this make any sense? Is there any kind of premade jack I can just plug into the TRS out of the amp? Something like the etymotic ER4p/s adaptor? 

Heya,

Absolutely. I have the LDMK3 and these headphones, and I absolutely plug my 500ohm resistor up when using it with my low impedance headphones (like my Denons for example). The LDMK3 outputs only like 100mW to low impedance loads (32ohm and under), but more than triples for it's intended range, which is 300~600ohm loads. It outputs 350mW at 300/600ohms each. It's literally made for high impedance. This is normal for an OTL amp that is all tube, and not using solid state buffers. They are all meant for higher impedance in general. So the LDMK3 peaks it's performance at 300ohms and 600ohms. It does 300mW at 120ohms, so it can at least handle the 150ish ohm weird headphones out there. But in general, everything put on this amp should be of relatively high impedance.

I use a 500ohm resistor, becuase anything under 100ohms to me is low impedance, and this brings it into the near 600ohm range, a peak range for the LDMK3.

My resistor is a single little 6 inch cable with male/female terminals and a 500ohm resistor soldered inline to each positive lead. It was made by Brian at BTG Audio. It was not expensive at all. The resistors are $1 from parts express.

By the way, the LDMK3 has a gain switch inside. Goes up to 10x. I would actually check to see what it's set to, and drop it down. No need for 10x gain. Clean up the sound, and flex it's muscles.

Very best,

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,968 of 3,819
MalVeauX,  good to see that you are still around for the thread you started. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,969 of 3,819
  MalVeauX,  good to see that you are still around for the thread you started. 
beerchug.gif

I'm still kicking the Hifiman's, TubeMagic D2, and Emotiva.

I've had no reason to even think of the dreaded "upgrade" since I downgraded to this setup (heh, well, cost wise at least). The setup covers every headphone under the sun except electrostats. If the HE-6 plops onto my doorstep, I'm good to go day one. I can use really low impedance headphones without issue with my 500ohm adapter, like my Denon D5000's (25ohm), with no noise floor on the Emotiva. It's just a solid performer. It also powers some bookshelves sometimes when I feel like playing around with stereo when I have the house to myself.

Having a solid source setup means you get to play more with what really changes the sound..... which is headphones.

Very best,

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,970 of 3,819

I'm still kicking the Hifiman's, TubeMagic D2, and Emotiva.

I've had no reason to even think of the dreaded "upgrade" since I downgraded to this setup (heh, well, cost wise at least). The setup covers every headphone under the sun except electrostats. If the HE-6 plops onto my doorstep, I'm good to go day one. I can use really low impedance headphones without issue with my 500ohm adapter, like my Denon D5000's (25ohm), with no noise floor on the Emotiva. It's just a solid performer. It also powers some bookshelves sometimes when I feel like playing around with stereo when I have the house to myself.

Having a solid source setup means you get to play more with what really changes the sound..... which is headphones.

Very best,

Thanks to you I've now got what I believe is exceptional sound. I was going to spend $1.5k on a dac/amp but I don't believe I'll get much improvement over what I spent. What I saved on amplification let me buy more cans to try. So deepest respect and thanks.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #1,971 of 3,819

Heya,

Absolutely. I have the LDMK3 and these headphones, and I absolutely plug my 500ohm resistor up when using it with my low impedance headphones (like my Denons for example). The LDMK3 outputs only like 100mW to low impedance loads (32ohm and under), but more than triples for it's intended range, which is 300~600ohm loads. It outputs 350mW at 300/600ohms each. It's literally made for high impedance. This is normal for an OTL amp that is all tube, and not using solid state buffers. They are all meant for higher impedance in general. So the LDMK3 peaks it's performance at 300ohms and 600ohms. It does 300mW at 120ohms, so it can at least handle the 150ish ohm weird headphones out there. But in general, everything put on this amp should be of relatively high impedance.

I use a 500ohm resistor, becuase anything under 100ohms to me is low impedance, and this brings it into the near 600ohm range, a peak range for the LDMK3.

My resistor is a single little 6 inch cable with male/female terminals and a 500ohm resistor soldered inline to each positive lead. It was made by Brian at BTG Audio. It was not expensive at all. The resistors are $1 from parts express.

By the way, the LDMK3 has a gain switch inside. Goes up to 10x. I would actually check to see what it's set to, and drop it down. No need for 10x gain. Clean up the sound, and flex it's muscles.

Very best,

Thanks! One other question -- do you use the resistor when running the HE-400 from the Emotiva? I've been looking at the BTG audio site and I'm debating getting a female -> male TRS adapter with the resister, vs getting a full headphone cable with the resistor (thus making it easier to add a female TRS -> banana clips adapter in the future if I end up getting an Emotiva down the line). So, does the resistor make any difference with the Emotiva? 

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,972 of 3,819

Thanks! One other question -- do you use the resistor when running the HE-400 from the Emotiva? I've been looking at the BTG audio site and I'm debating getting a female -> male TRS adapter with the resister, vs getting a full headphone cable with the resistor (thus making it easier to add a female TRS -> banana clips adapter in the future if I end up getting an Emotiva down the line). So, does the resistor make any difference with the Emotiva? 

Heya,

You can get away with running the HE400 without the resistor. However, it's a very efficient headphone. You get minimal volume control before it gets loud fast. So I suggest using a resistor, if you're using a 50 wpc amplifier. If you were using a 10~20 wpc amplifier you probably wouldn't need the resistor as this is more along the lines of output that a high powered headamp would perform. But the big difference is gain. Speaker amps have gain values because they're meant for speakers. Headamps tend to have variable gain selection, or a lower static gain set.

The resistor adds a reason for the amplifier to ramp up voltage to meet the new resistance, which lowers it's current throughput. Works wonders for the HE400. You're still getting several watts of power. You don't need 7~10 watts of current for these headphones. It's not a question of power. The quality of the amp is what we're appreciative of. It just so happens to be powerful enough to cover all orthos with ease. And happens to be able to function for most headphones directly coupled. For low impedance with high sensitivity, that's where the problem comes in of noise floor, and that's where a resistor adapter or cable really comes in handy.

I use an adapter so that I can splice it in between any headphone and any amplifier, not just the Emotiva. Mine is XLR (male) -> resistors (500ohm) on positive leads -> XLR (female). Since all my permanent headphones are XLR terminated. You can always go from balanced 4 pin XLR down to TRS from there, for use with a headamp, or something unbalanced. I did it that way to keep it as universal as possible, including the ability to go balanced.

Very best,

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,973 of 3,819
It seems off to me that 500 ohm in-line impedance won't affect electric damping pretty drastic, along with altering the frequency response. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the amp see an 8 ohm impedance load by having the headphones in parallel with something like a 4-8 ohm resistor and perhaps add some more in-line resistors if further decreasing in volume is wanted?

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,974 of 3,819
  It seems off to me that 500 ohm in-line impedance won't affect electric damping pretty drastic, along with altering the frequency response. Wouldn't it make more sense to make the amp see an 8 ohm impedance load by having the headphones in parallel with something like a 4-8 ohm resistor and perhaps add some more in-line resistors if further decreasing in volume is wanted?

Proof is in the pudding.

Also, the amp doesn't see nor care what loads it's given. It either can handle the current and has enough thermal regulation to do so, or it burns up. Giving it a 500ohm load just reduces it's current output. Sounds great.

I hooked it up to my 600ohm DT770's for a 1100ohm resistance total. Still sounded great.

Very best,

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,975 of 3,819
  Proof is in the pudding.

Also, the amp doesn't see nor care what loads it's given. It either can handle the current and has enough thermal regulation to do so, or it burns up. Giving it a 500ohm load just reduces it's current output. Sounds great.

I hooked it up to my 600ohm DT770's for a 1100ohm resistance total. Still sounded great.

Very best,

Just saying, it ain't optimal at all, though one can argue that the amp sees an easier load compared to putting the resistors and headphone in parallel. Dunno how much difference it does with the damping factor in general, but altered frequency response will happen if the impedance curve of given headphone isn't flat.

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #1,976 of 3,819
Hey guys, awesome thread.  I have only read bits and pieces but here is a question for you:

Emotiva is very responsive to their customers.  They have a whole message board.  emotivalounge.proboards.com

Has anyone shown them this thread or pitched the idea of making a Mini X-based headphone amp?  I don't know all of the engineering behind it, but couldn't they have a 1/4 and an XLR output so people wouldn't have to roll their own cables?  If it was easy for people to get this amp and plug their headphones in, maybe more people would try it.  And Emotiva's engineering expertise is great.

Just wondering.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,977 of 3,819
I just ordered the A-100 ($169? come on!) and it arrives Friday.  

I bought it to liven up my LCD-2's, as I've never really been happy with how it paired with my Lyr or my balanced Headroom Desktop amp.  At that pricepoint, the Emotiva was a no brainer to try.  If not for headphones, then like any good audio geek, I have multiple pairs of speakers kicking around the house to use with the amp.  

I also own the Mad Dogs 3.2 and am on the AD upgrade list, so eager to hear how the Emotiva plays with those cans.

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,978 of 3,819

MalVeau

OK-So with the HE 6's which is 50 ohm @83 sensitivity and the Mini X would resistors help or not? If so what value and how connected?

Thanks

Jack

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,979 of 3,819

MalVeau

OK-So with the HE 6's which is 50 ohm @83 sensitivity and the Mini X would resistors help or not? If so what value and how connected?

Thanks

Jack

You don't need any resistors with HE-6 and Emotiva. It gets to around 12 o clock without resistors. You'll get enough volume knob play.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,980 of 3,819
Thanks to you I've now got what I believe is exceptional sound. I was going to spend $1.5k on a dac/amp but I don't believe I'll get much improvement over what I spent. What I saved on amplification let me buy more cans to try. So deepest respect and thanks.

Thanks to you I've now got what I believe is exceptional sound. I was going to spend $1.5k on a dac/amp but I don't believe I'll get much improvement over what I spent. What I saved on amplification let me buy more cans to try. So deepest respect and thanks. Where can I purchase those cables? I would like to use my Alpha Dogs with the Emotiva

Where can I purchase those cables? I would like to connect my Alpha dogs with 4-Pin XLR cable to the Emotiva mini-X A-100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back