HDCD list
Mar 31, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #47 of 597
I just saw a cd called "Garth Brooks - Double Live" (I belive) and it was marked HDCD.

Has anyone confirmed that Yoshimi Battles the pink robots is not HDCD? I mean, the soft bulletin is, but why would Yoshimi, or atleast the DVD/CD 2 pack not be HDCD.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #50 of 597
Dug up some interesting trivia: Neil Young's Mirror Ball was apparently the first rock HDCD released. It was mastered by Joe Gastwirt, who apparently uses HDCD a lot -- he also did Tom Petty's Playback boxed set. Name to look for, it seems.

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #51 of 597
What's the concensus on the Asian offerings of US titles in HDCD format on eBay? Are they legit? Their packaging seems a bit strange - usually more tracks than the standard US releases, and often two CD's together, or a compilation of sorts, like a "Best of...", despite the standard album titles.

Kinda screams bootleg, but the ad-copy reads "New", "Sealed" (not that that means anything, really).

Anyone have any experience with ordering these imports? Can any of our Asian contingency verify that these versions are types that are normally available in the legit Asian marketplace?

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #52 of 597
This is a great list...that helped me realize I have an HDCD already - Neil Young, Mirror Ball. You can always count on Neil.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't buy the Nad because of HDCD, but it's an extra fun thing to play with... who says the Senn 600s can't rock?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #53 of 597
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
What's the concensus on the Asian offerings of US titles in HDCD format on eBay? Are they legit? Their packaging seems a bit strange - usually more tracks than the standard US releases, and often two CD's together, or a compilation of sorts, like a "Best of...", despite the standard album titles.

Kinda screams bootleg, but the ad-copy reads "New", "Sealed" (not that that means anything, really).

Anyone have any experience with ordering these imports? Can any of our Asian contingency verify that these versions are types that are normally available in the legit Asian marketplace?

These stuff are usually from Mainland China or Taiwan. The copyright laws in these parts of the world are extremely confusing, so grey market CDs of such kind can exist.

I don't have any of these CDs; and at any rate these CDs are not released by the artist's "official" labels, the artists get no royalties, and the CDs themselves are not worth much (each is usually sold at US$3 in Hong Kong, doubtless far less in Mainland China still)

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #54 of 597
Regarding Grateful Dead recordings: all of the Dick's Picks since about volume 15 have been HDCD; also, the multi-track live recordings released over the past several years ("Ladies and Gentlemen...", "Steppin' Out..."). The upcoming "Rockin' The Rhein" (to be released in May) will be HDCD. In addition, Jerry Garcia Band's "How Sweet It Is" is HDCD.

Apr 4, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #55 of 597
Quote:

Regarding Grateful Dead recordings: ...

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to leave the Grateful Dead entries a little more vague than the others, since it seems like so many of their releases are HDCD, they'd swamp the list
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #57 of 597
Quote:

what's so great about it?

I wouldn't be the best one to explain the technical stuff behind it, but the effect is an overall increase in sound quality. Positioning and clarity in particular are a step up from regular CDs. Whether it's because of the format's technical merits or that people using it tend to have higher standards for sound quality, I couldn't say -- it's probably both -- but they do sound noticeably better.

For what it's worth, they seem to sound better on non-HDCD players too. I'd been using a few unlabeled HDCDs as reference albums because of their clarity before I even knew what HDCD was.

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 597
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
This is a great list...that helped me realize I have an HDCD already - Neil Young, Mirror Ball. You can always count on Neil.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't buy the Nad because of HDCD, but it's an extra fun thing to play with... who says the Senn 600s can't rock?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Plainsong,
You're back!!! That's great
smily_headphones1.gif

Megaptera,

Both the Eric Bibb and Bettye LaVette CD's in the list are not labeled* HDCD.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #59 of 597
I realize that you are going to leave the Grateful Dead vague, but I will add this back here in the thread.
I just picked up The Very Best of The Grateful Dead released in 2003 by Rhino and WB it's marked HDCD.

Hey FlaconP, are you saying the CD itself is not worth much? They do sell rather cheap on Ebay. But are the recordings any good? Or are they just HDCD encoded without actually being better than any other recording?

karmypolitics, thanks for your input. You obviously haven't listened to any HDCD recordings.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #60 of 597
Roxy Music "The early years" is HDCD and marked as such.

But gotta love tubular bells in HDCD, its already on the list, but just gotta love it...

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back