HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the faint of heart - (You've been warned!)
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #271 of 359
can you trace the ownership with the serial number?
Have you tried Febreeze?

I am wondering why it would smell like corpse and formaldehyde, not one or the other. The latter would be used for embalming, so the headphones would've been taken off the dead body already at that time. So it shouldn't smell like both.... Maybe the original owner likes taxidermy, but was doing a bad job of it, and likes to hang headphones on them....

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #272 of 359
Have you tried Febreeze?

I am wondering why it would smell like corpse and formaldehyde, not one or the other. The latter would be used for embalming, so the headphones would've been taken off the dead body already at that time. So it shouldn't smell like both.... Maybe the original owner likes taxidermy, but was doing a bad job of it, and likes to hang headphones on them....

I suddenly just got the image of a crazy taxidermist putting the headphones on one of his "family members" which consists of the people he's murdered.
(A derivative of one of the episodes in the Masters of Horror series)

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #277 of 359
I never liked the smell but i can live with it. they just smell new and really they smell like paint. people say that they chip easily, so maybe they are painted and not cured very well

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #278 of 359
Could you maybe send them to Sennheiser and see what they can do about it? FASCINATING read btw.

Oct 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #279 of 359
Have you tried Febreeze?

Febreeze? Nope, this was too potent for that. In case you missed this update: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685261/hd800-story-telling-time-warning-prepare-thyself-not-for-the-faint-of-heart-feedback-appreciated-part1-so-far/240#post_9904184

As for the chemical smell... I should have been more clear. The pads smelled like death. The box had a slight Ammonia/Formaldehyde-like nuance underlying the horrific scent. :D

Taxidermy... another Theory. I approve!

I never liked the smell but i can live with it. they just smell new and really they smell like paint. people say that they chip easily, so maybe they are painted and not cured very well

I own a new pair of HD 800. I think they smell like paint everytime I open the box

It's not just the HD800, My HD650 box has a certain smell from the foam they used in the box. not unpleasant but very distinct and chemical-y

oh okay maybe it is the box I never thought of that

To make it simple... It definitely not paint. (I used to work with paint for hobbies and professionally.) So hopefully you don't have an all together different issue. If the smell hasn't aired out after a couple of days, it's not paint. Even oil paint, once dried and cured has no real smell.

The chemical smell could be from the foam due to off gases. If you have a foam mattress or a love sac, the smell isn't strong, but it is distinct. The chemical off gases would air out over time as well. Just leave the box open and it should disappear. My smell is not of gases (unfortunately?). My box is definitely giving off some sort of smell, but it's frightening how even after a 4 day airing that the smell is still enough to make me gag! It's about 25% of what it originally was though... so that's good! Right? :cool:

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #280 of 359
Could you maybe send them to Sennheiser and see what they can do about it? FASCINATING read btw.

Actually, I called Sennheiser today to order new pads and put this whole thing past me! (Oh woes me :p)

The earpads are backordered until Nov. 11th. Not an issue, but who all is buying that many to put Sennheiser into backorder?! So after submitting my order, I decided just for the heck of it, to talk to Customer Service, to bring this whole episode to their attention. (I would feel responsible if all of a sudden they get this mass hysteria of frantic HD800 owners reporting a smell and the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse!)

Getting transfered, I think I dumbfounded the incredibly nice lady that helped me! Luckily she noticed the uniqueness of my store and passed it along. Not too much longer, I was contacted by Justin, another nice Sennheiser employee, as a follow up.

Ultimately, they were amused by the story and slightly surprised by the huge number of hits and the response from the community. So much so, that Justin decided to help me out and he's going to swap my box for me! So even though this experience has been incredibly awkward, heart-felt, and completely ridiculous... I have to tip my hat to Sennheiser for being so flexible. Seeing that I bought this used, they have absolutely no responsibility. Everyone has been in such great spirits, including the community... I can't wait to hear back from Justin after he gets his chance to play "Guess that smell..." :evil:

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #282 of 359
Actually, I called Sennheiser today to order new pads and put this whole thing past me! (Oh woes me
tongue.gif
)

The earpads are backordered until Nov. 11th. Not an issue, but who all is buying that many to put Sennheiser into backorder?! So after submitting my order, I decided just for the heck of it, to talk to Customer Service, to bring this whole episode to their attention. (I would feel responsible if all of a sudden they get this mass hysteria of frantic HD800 owners reporting a smell and the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse!)

Getting transfered, I think I dumbfounded the incredibly nice lady that helped me! Luckily she noticed the uniqueness of my store and passed it along. Not too much longer, I was contacted by Justin, another nice Sennheiser employee, as a follow up.

Ultimately, they were amused by the story and slightly surprised by the huge number of hits and the response from the community. So much so, that Justin decided to help me out and he's going to swap my box for me! So even though this experience has been incredibly awkward, heart-felt, and completely ridiculous... I have to tip my hat to Sennheiser for being so flexible. Seeing that I bought this used, they have absolutely no responsibility. Everyone has been in such great spirits, including the community... I can't wait to hear back from Justin after he gets his chance to play "Guess that smell..."
evil_smiley.gif

You need to forward him a link and get him to post up on here:)

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #283 of 359
You need to forward him a link and get him to post up on here:)

Justin read through it, including the comments! Originally, I shared the link with the customer service agent. Initially they must have been concerned about a PR nightmare... In the end, everyone's had a good laugh. Ultimately I got incredible customer service experiences at both Sennheiser and Guitar Center. The only thing that's left is to get enough listening in to notice any difference when I get my earpads in next month!

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #284 of 359
Lol i can't believe this is getting about 1,150 views each day! It is a great story though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back