HD800 and T1 musings...
Jul 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #346 of 1,024

Quote:

BDR cones ???   Man, and I had such high hopes for you !  LOL

Come to where REAL isolation works ... come to the place where isolation does NOT impart it's own sound to your components, but gets out of the way instead
wink_face.gif

Nice....how much? You might want improve the table they're on? How about digging 6 ft. into the ground and use solid concrete pillars instead?
wink.gif

My buddy just lent me a set of BDR cones to try out. And depending on the kids this weekend, I should hopefully give them a try.

Cheers

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #347 of 1,024

Quote:
Nice....how much? You might want improve the table they're on? How about digging 6 ft. into the ground and use solid concrete pillars instead?
wink.gif

My buddy just lent me a set of BDR cones to try out. And depending on the kids this weekend, I should hopefully give them a try.

Cheers

I will reply when I am through pouring the concrete !  LOL

I have about $250 invested in the complete rack. Not bad once you consider my ENTIRE system is now isolated perfectly.

On a serious note, I have tried literally everything ;  Mapleshade footers, Herbie's balls, BDR cones, Stillpoints, Aurios, Symposium Rollerblocks, Walker Valid Points . ... etc.  The Valid Points were the best for me, with the Rollerblocks working good also ( although VERY easy to knock off ) ...

Having said that, NOTHING comes even close to having literally ALL of the vibrations dissipated as heat like the racquetballs do. What slight energy may be left is absorbed by the stupidly dense acrylic. I use these in my $150 grand home system, which goes flat in my LARGE listening room down to 18 hz ... and vibrations REALLY make huge differences. The suspension rack very easily sets itself apart !

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #348 of 1,024
My turntable's isolation platform is the Gingko Audio Cloud 11, which also uses racket balls and plexiglass like that.

Jul 24, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #349 of 1,024

Quote:
My turntable's isolation platform is the Gingko Audio Cloud 11, which also uses racket balls and plexiglass like that.

Yep .... I was making these 10 yrs before Gingko came to be. I am so VERY glad they did though, because they had the funds and facilities to do the indepth testing that I could not do. Their graphs and white papers leave ALL speculation in the dust. Real scientific proof. You should try their Cloud 10 under your digital disc spinner Skylab !  Or even better, make your own for a little over 1/2 price
wink_face.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #350 of 1,024
T1 sold --> looking for a good HD800-deal. 

I finally took the decision. After living with T1 for 4 months and having AffeX visiting me several times with his HD800 we spend some nights A/B comparing them on the Meier Concerto. Each time I came from the T1 and went to the HD800 it just gave me 10% more music enjoyment. The sound stage and its more forward mids simply draws me closer into the music than the T1. I have loved the T1 very much and could easily live with the T1. They have been the best headphones I have had ever. But in comparison to HD800 the 800's has something that suits my taste more. I am coming from having the SR325i as my reference headphones and the lighter and more airy the sound is - the better I think of it. 

Vocal jazz and jazz in general is maybe 80% of my music listening and here the HD800 simply beats the T1. Wearing comfort on my head and the freedom it gives my ears when wearing the HD800 feels like taking a big room of chill air around my head - but when going back to the T1 it feels like entering a small hot room. (They kind of remind me of the 10 square meters room I practiced in with my old garage band...compared to HD800 that is)

I have to admit that I am afraid that the HD800 is a new GS-1000 experience for me. When I first heard the GS-1000 they were amazing. I bought them and loved them for the first 4-6 months. But they got less head-time as time went by. They simply became sort of " too much" for me and they no longer were my first choice for daily listening sessions. I had the same WOW-experience when listening to the HD800 for the first time and I have kept that feeling each time - even when changing between T1 and HD800. I did not part with the T1 in a way of disrespect nor disapproval of them. I still love the T1's and I can easily see them coming back to me again in the future. I just have to see if the short enjoyment of the HD800 will turn in to a long lasting love - like it has been with SR325i for me. Only time will tell. 

It has been great reading through this thread and seeing what others have thought of these two great headphones. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #352 of 1,024
I don't really think so and it seems that there isn't a general concesus on head-fi to which is better.  I know that people prefer tube amps driving the HD800s over solid state though.  The HD650 has very drastic changes when balanced, but HD800 doesn't benefit to the same extent (if at all)

Quote:

Is there a big sound difference between balanced and unbalanced HD800 ?

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #353 of 1,024
I'm de-lurking after many years and posting for the first time because I think this thread gets very close to the essence of what we're all looking for.  I started using headphones 42 years ago for - I guess - the usual two reasons ... I couldn't afford speakers, and I wanted my own private, intimate audio experience.  Over the years the first reason, happily, disappeared, but the second reason endures.

I have owned many dozens of systems, and I would say the T1 is a great, great headphone.  It sounds to me like one of the best ever.  But right there is my point.  It sounds like the end product of years of inspired evolution, whereas to me - and YMMV - the HD800 sounds like a whole other category ... like we're a hundred years in the future, and someone is wirelessly beaming broadband alpha waves directly into my brain.

Part of that is to do with the light, airy, large physical enclosures, and part is the sound itself - IMO amazing clarity, nuance and subtlety.  I never think, "Wow, this is a great headphone."  I just think, "Wow."  In terms of a private, intimate, sensual audio environment - which is what I have always enjoyed, and which I think is the huge attraction of headphone listening - it just can't be beat.

I use the HD800s balanced, with a 15' Cardas cable, out of a 2004-vintage Headroom Blockhead dual-monoblock balanced amp, with a G08.2 CDP.  That's after a lot of experimentation, and it's the best I heard - and, frankly, the best I can imagine.

42 years ago I went looking for that personal, private ecstasy, and I feel like finally I have gotten there.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #354 of 1,024

Quote:
I'm de-lurking after many years and posting for the first time because I think this thread gets very close to the essence of what we're all looking for.  I started using headphones 42 years ago for - I guess - the usual two reasons ... I couldn't afford speakers, and I wanted my own private, intimate audio experience.  Over the years the first reason, happily, disappeared, but the second reason endures.

I have owned many dozens of systems, and I would say the T1 is a great, great headphone.  It sounds to me like one of the best ever.  But right there is my point.  It sounds like the end product of years of inspired evolution, whereas to me - and YMMV - the HD800 sounds like a whole other category ... like we're a hundred years in the future, and someone is wirelessly beaming broadband alpha waves directly into my brain.

Part of that is to do with the light, airy, large physical enclosures, and part is the sound itself - IMO amazing clarity, nuance and subtlety.  I never think, "Wow, this is a great headphone."  I just think, "Wow."  In terms of a private, intimate, sensual audio environment - which is what I have always enjoyed, and which I think is the huge attraction of headphone listening - it just can't be beat.

I use the HD800s balanced, with a 15' Cardas cable, out of a 2004-vintage Headroom Blockhead dual-monoblock balanced amp, with a G08.2 CDP.  That's after a lot of experimentation, and it's the best I heard - and, frankly, the best I can imagine.

42 years ago I went looking for that personal, private ecstasy, and I feel like finally I have gotten there.

Welcome to Head-Fi IS.
regular_smile .gif

That's quite a beastly setup you've got there.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #356 of 1,024

Quote:

I do not know about the HD800, but my Burson HA-160-K-702 duo is just as good as the T1, if not better in a number of areas.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #358 of 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerSpace  
" I'm de-lurking after many years and posting for the first time because I think this thread gets very close to the essence of what we're all looking for.  I started using headphones 42 years ago for - I guess - the usual two reasons ... I couldn't afford speakers, and I wanted my own private, intimate audio experience.  Over the years the first reason, happily, disappeared, but the second reason endures.
42 years ago I went looking for that personal, private ecstasy, and I feel like finally I have gotten there."

That's a great rig. I would de-lurk, deactivate your account and never return. :) I've been trying to do that for a year. Even though I have the HD800 coupled with the Gilmore Lite that I absolutely love, I still end up buying more headphones and gear. I'm buying headphones I've bought before! For the third time! I bought the K-701 twice, the SR-80 twice (converted to the Magum Lite) and now the SR-225(i) twice. This is a sickness. Run far away from here and enjoy what just might be close to nirvana that is your setup. LoL

:)

Peace,

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #360 of 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I  
" LMAO Ross is right total insanity and it never gets better, Hope to be done soon. Once i get my tube amp tuned to my perfection I should be able to stop spending money.$

Frank you're so full of (insert Schiit Asgard joke here)! LMAO You know you can't stop. Resistance is futile. You're so sick you bought the M50 after I sold mine! The M50 you don't even need. After selling ME the 840! You should be able to stop after you're dead. Even then I'll make sure you're buried with the D7000. (I'm hoping the T1 would find it's way to me some how)

Don't kid yourselves folks. This place is worse than crack. LoL

Peace,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back