HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss?
Sep 29, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #31 of 175
There are MANY examples of WAY longer wait times and lack of communication from Headamp over the past 10 years. Including specific threads devoted to them.  Justin's gear may sound great but if you are at all concerned about good communication and hard delivery dates I would look elsewhere. But back to the OP's request. I'm fairly certain that you would prefer a tube amp for the m903/hd800 combo and as you know I'm right in the same boat and looking for the same thing. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Stratus or ZD SE (or Super 7/Sonnett 2). It may come down to aesthetic and form factor, they will all sound pretty damn good.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #33 of 175
JMcMasterJ,

The limitation of polls is that while they can reflect popular consensus but not necessarily the sonic improvements that I am hoping for. Before starting these recent postings, I searched through past threads to gather the long list of amps. I also looked at some more active Headfi members who seemed experienced who also owned HD800s and listed their equipment in their profiles (including JMcMasterJ). Here is what I found:

AMB Audio Sigma/Beta 22 - ipodpj, momijigmo, uncle erik, preproman, shahrose, johnwmclean, baka1969 (7)

Headamp GS-X - macedonianhero, preproman, asr, purk, shahrose (5)

EC Super 7 - minimus, cee tee, anaxilus, jmcmasterj (4)
EC Zana Deux SE - uncle erik, dallan, bourneperfect, mr sneis (4)
WA22 - ardilla, grokit, mikemalter, minimus (4)

Violectric V200 - dallan, rawrster, musicman59 (2)
Cavalli Liquid Fire - macedonianhero, olias of sunhillow (2)
Grace Design m903 - john willett, olias of sunhillow (2)
EC Balancing Act - balderon, purrin (2)
HeadAmp GS-1 - momijigmo, mr sneis (2)
Bryston BHA-1 - maxvla, olias of sunhillow (2)

So based on a sample of experienced Headfi posters who all own HD800s, it appears as if the sigma/beta 22 is the most popular among my sample. It was also interesting to see how some of you transitioned through a series of amps over the last 3-4 years and others stayed with one amp.

This however, does not mean that this is the amp that I am seeking. My definition of "good" may differ from theirs. That is why I tried to detail the sonic attributes that I was looking to improve ( bass, details and imaging). The question may be better dealt with through discussion rather than a poll.

Respectfully,

Bob

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #34 of 175
Yes on the delivery time from Justin.  However, if you order now you would be right on time for about a 2 or 3 month wait instead of a year or two wait.  [COLOR=FF0000]"I hope"[/COLOR]

Where did you get the idea of no warranty from YBM?  Ying provides very professional customer service and warrants all his products - I worked with him on a few occasions.  You ask me it's a better
deal warranty / customer service wise compared to a company.  He has more time to spend with you sense he's not mass producing these amps.  You get exactly what you want, the way you want it the flexibilities are great and he stands by his work (very professional young man).  

If you have any issues Justin and Ying will be there for you - I would not worry about warranties if it comes down to these two.

GS-X more neutral that the B22?  I would say yes based on my experience with the GS-1.  However, in my application they complimented each other very well.  The B22 is more fun to listen to.  The GS-1 was technically better and more transparent while the B22 adds a little fun color to the mix - not much though.  Both amps are great with any headphones you have, IEMs included - with the argumentative exception of the HE-6 and K1000.

Preproman,

Thanks for the information about YMB. I have had just one brief e-mail with Ying and did not know how he dealt with warranty on a DIY project that he builds for clients. Regarding Justin and delivery, I have had a few brief PMs with him and specifically asked about delivery and was told 12 weeks. That being said, communication is an essential part of trust.

I have had multiple custom guitars and amps made for me by individuals. The delivery time has ranged from 3 months to over 1 year, but communication was always maintained, and I never paid 100% up front which appears to be his terms. I have had builders be late on delivery. That can happen. But in all cases we had transparent communication with rapid responses. Without that I would have been disappointed.

I am aware of Justin's history about late delivery and poor communication, which frankly makes me quite nervous about this options despite the fantastic quality of his products. Perhaps this behavior is in the past, but it certainly does not build confidence or trust in a prospective buyer. I know that he frequents HeadFi so I do feel somewhat unfair and awkward to discuss this. But it is a factor to be considered before choosing a GS-X.

Bob

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #36 of 175
Quote:
I am aware of Justin's history about late delivery and poor communication, which frankly makes me quite nervous about this options despite the fantastic quality of his products. Perhaps this behavior is in the past, but it certainly does not build confidence or trust in a prospective buyer. I know that he frequents HeadFi so I do feel somewhat unfair and awkward to discuss this. But it is a factor to be considered before choosing a GS-X.
Bob

The new GS-X will be ready this year, but if it isn't, it's because it will have already sold out and then there will be a several month wait for the next run of amps.  as of right now there are fewer than 10 left 

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Sep 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #37 of 175
The new GS-X will be ready this year, but if it isn't, it's because it will have already sold out and then there will be a several month wait for the next run of amps.  as of right now there are fewer than 10 left 

Justin,

Thanks for the information. I truly meant no offense. It was the recency of these two gentlemen's posts that provoked my concern (Feb and Mar '012 to Sep '012 or >6 months) along with comments from others in this post.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627070/gs-x-ordered-and-still-waiting-and-waiting

Hence my query.

Appreciated

Sep 29, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 175
I'd be on that list for the LF. It was my favorite.

Quote:
JMcMasterJ,
The limitation of polls is that while they can reflect popular consensus but not necessarily the sonic improvements that I am hoping for. Before starting these recent postings, I searched through past threads to gather the long list of amps. I also looked at some more active Headfi members who seemed experienced who also owned HD800s and listed their equipment in their profiles (including JMcMasterJ). Here is what I found:
AMB Audio Sigma/Beta 22 - ipodpj, momijigmo, uncle erik, preproman, shahrose, johnwmclean, baka1969 (7)
EC Super 7 - minimus, cee tee, anaxilus, jmcmasterj (4)
EC Zana Deux SE - uncle erik, dallan, bourneperfect, mr sneis (4)
Headamp GS-X - macedonianhero, preproman, asr (3)
Violectric V200 - dallan, rawrster, musicman59 (3
Woo Audio WA22 - minimus, grokit (2)
Cavalli Liquid Fire - macedonianhero, olias of sunhillow (2)
Grace Design m903 - john willett, olias of sunhillow (2)
EC Balancing Act - balderon, purrin (2)
HeadAmp GS-1 - momijigmo, mr sneis (2)
Bryston BHA-1 - maxvla, olias of sunhillow (2)
So based on a sample of experienced Headfi posters who all own HD800s, it appears as if the sigma/beta 22 is the most popular among my sample. It was also interesting to see how some of you transitioned through a series of amps over the last 3-4 years and others stayed with one amp.
This however, does not mean that this is the amp that I am seeking. My definition of "good" may differ from theirs. That is why I tried to detail the sonic attributes that I was looking to improve ( bass, details and imaging). The question may be better dealt with through discussion rather than a poll.
Respectfully,
Bob

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #39 of 175
I'd be on that list for the LF. It was my favorite.

I think you where not included because I did see you as a HD800 owner from your profile. Everyone seems to like the Cavalli LF.

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #40 of 175
Though you have me listed for the Beta22, which is a great amp, the Dynahi, Apex Peak Volcano, and GS-X would also be on my list for best HD800 amp. My favourite is actually the Dynahi.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #41 of 175
iim7V7IM7,

You forget to count my vote for the GS-X.  :)

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #42 of 175
Though you have me listed for the Beta22, which is a great amp, the Dynahi, Apex Peak Volcano, and GS-X would also be on my list for best HD800 amp. My favourite is actually the Dynahi.

I adjusted the earlier post. I did not add the Apex Hifi because you we're the only 1000+ headfier who had one along with HD800s (other than solude who sold his). I only listed amps where I saw >2 owners. The Dynahi is a Kevin Gilmore DIY and I considered it out of scope.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #44 of 175
The added owners of particular amps changes the order a bit. It appears that solid state amps hold spots #1 (sigma/beta 22) and #2 (GS-X). Spot #3 goes to EC tube amps (S7 and ZD) and the Woo Audio WA22. So any suggestion that experienced HeadFiers use tube amps seems to be incorrect.

This could be a search for detail and transparency or a desire for balanced amplification?

Again the amp for ME could be one of these popular amps OR any one of these or even one not listed. My purpose was NOT to take a poll , but to gain insight by discussion. I am still hoping to hear opinions as to which amp best does the 3 things that I listed in my earlier post.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #45 of 175
WOW I wonder where all the Woo folks are.  There are literally hundreds of them.

I would also vote for the Dynahi.  I don't own one yet.  It's now in the process of getting built.  I had to take a step back to get on the GS-X run.  I've heard two of them before.  LOVED THEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back