hd650 or hd800
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #226 of 279
I have some questions regarding the HD800 but before I pose them, I just want to be clear that I am considering purchasing this headphone. I'm not posting here to raise the ire of HD800 owners. I've done my HD800 research at Head-Fi and elsewhere. I've also sent PMs to Head-Fi'ers whom own this headphone along with the T1 and the PS1000 - the two other dynamics that interest me.

I've noticed a consensus of opinion regarding the HD800 in response to my enquiries. It seems that for all of its technical achievements, the HD800 doesn't engage its owners as much as their other headphones. Its sound staging capabilities were highlighted as anyone who has heard or read about this headphone has come to expect. There were the usual references to how picky it is with amplification.

I posed specific questions based on the reviews and impressions that I have read. I asked if it had a diffuse presentation compared to the T1 and PS1000, whether its imaging was as precise, whether it reproduces music with similar clarity, does it have similar weight of note or body, and is it as vivid in its presentation. Not surprisingly, the responses varied but there did appear to be some consensus regarding weight of note and vividness or dynamics. It seems that the HD800 lacks the weight of note and vividness of the other two headphones, and this may be the reason why its owners admire rather than love it. There were also descriptions of treble spikes and splashiness in the higher frequencies. The bass presentation was described as tight, detailed and extending deep into the lower frequencies, but somewhat lacking in weight and impact. 

I was wondering how these impressions compare to the experiences of other HD800 owners or those that have spent some time with it whom are posting in this thread? I have the W5000 and one Head-Fi'er remarked upon the similarities between it and the HD800, particularly in the areas of detail retrieval, clarity and bass presentation; with the HD800 having more bass presence. I regard the W5000 as having a remarkably airy presentation and spacious soundstage for a closed headphone; with excellent imaging and detail retrieval. However, I think that it's a bright sounding headphone with less than ideal bass presence, although the bass is highly detailed. Is the HD800 as bright or brighter than the W5000 and how does its bass presentation compare? 

Thanks in advance - I hope.  

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #227 of 279
I auditioned the W5000 briefly without the HA5000 amp.  I had the option of taking the W5000 with me home for an audition for a couple of months if necessary...this was not necessary, as it didn't gel with me at all.  IMO opinion the HD800 is a much superior headphone - and is arguably the best dynamic headphone out there.  I too felt that's its treble was slightly brighter than ideal, but this suited certain genres.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #228 of 279

Quote:
I've had the 800 and found them way too bright and clinical - tried several nice SS amps ith it.

I love my HD650. I also have the T1 - which I prefer to the 800; Great detail and soundstage, but slightly warmer and not as painfully bright. 

The HD650's bass is not heavy, unless compared to a bass-unheavy heaphone. Real life music has even more bass than the HD650. 650 has a very natural feel/sound signature. They are great. They are also very comfy - after you have adjusted the clamping. 800 are VERY LARGE. 

So - my advice is very much in favor of the HD650. HD800 is a great risk. It can sound very anemic and sterile, and painfully bright. Search the forum - you'll find others that agree with me.  Guess a good tube amp brings out the better of them. 

If you want to spend more than the HD650 - look at T1 for soundstaging. And what about the Audeeze LCD2? Haven't heard it, though. Hifiman H5LE could be a good alternative also (haven't heard it either, though)

Anyway - if you have to choose between 650 and 800 - By all means go for the HD650! - Check out the HD650 appreciation thread :) http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/197776/sennheiser-hd650-appreciation-thread/1875#post_7087280

cheers - and good luck

I have tested out the HD 800's and I can't really agree with you about them being to bright. It's another thing with movies I can imagine, but with music I enjoyed the sound. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #230 of 279
Quote:
I auditioned the W5000 briefly without the HA5000 amp.  I had the option of taking the W5000 with me home for an audition for a couple of months if necessary...this was not necessary, as it didn't gel with me at all.  IMO opinion the HD800 is a much superior headphone - and is arguably the best dynamic headphone out there.  I too felt that's its treble was slightly brighter than ideal, but this suited certain genres.

MrS., It's hard to explain but the brightness between the HD800 and W5000 are different. If you are running tubes I would heartily recommended the HD800 overall, but for Jazz and classical the W5000 can be magic out of the HA5000 at least.

I would say that the bass is more extended with better texture out of the HD800 but the the W5000 has a warmer sound.. Treble is quite extended on both headphones so instrument separation is great but the upper mids are a tad more emphasized on the W5000.

The W5000 somewhat surprisingly sounds very nice with brass instruments though. Not that the HD800 is bad in this area but they can sound a bit clinical. Miles Davis' catalog in particular is unmatched IMO out of the W5000/RA5000 combination.

I would say that the HD800 is a much more versatile headphone than the W5000 even out of the RA5000, but for some reason most jazz and classical sound perfect out of the W5000 while everything else is a crapshoot.

And since we're supposed to be comparing to the HD650 as well, I would say that it will sound rolled off at both ends of the frequency spectrum compared to the W5000/HD800, with a lower-midrange emphasis as well. So in comparison the HD650 would be warmer and more veiled than either of these headphones.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #231 of 279
I have tested out the HD 800's and I can't really agree with you about them being to bright. It's another thing with movies I can imagine, but with music I enjoyed the sound. 

There are indeed brighter phones out there. Grado's are often brighter (at least 35 and RS1000, which are the only Grados I've heard). For me it was of sort of a sneaking brightness with the HD800 - it wasn't bright enough to sound bright at first - but after 15 minutes of listening my ears were sore... 800 is great if you are not very sensitive to brightness ad really really love details/soundstage before anything else and think that bass should be a very subtle thing (they do however go very deep). For listening to music (and I guess especially movies and gaming), the hd650 is great. Sounds more like real live music than any other can I've heard. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #233 of 279
Quote:
Isn't bass depth/soundstage the most important thing when it comes to movies/games? 

Good point - but the clinical sound signature and fatiguing brightness of the 800  isn't :) Besides, 650 is really quite good at soundstaging and detail also. It used to be THE reference phone (of course not for all), so it really isn't night and day. I read somewhere that listening to HD800 was like attending a concert in the desert, acoustically-wise. Might be a bit exaggerated, but they are VERY airy. Not very intimate, kind of...

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #234 of 279
T1 is for me the engaging,slightly warmer and more natural sounding cousin of HD800. (Used to own the HD800, sold it and got the T1) Same presise soundstage, but more intimate (they are semi-open). They create a very 3D feeling that I think even best the HD800. The HD800 have many obvious qualities, but can be quite painful as well, but that of course depends on the company its in and the ears they are on. 
(http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512020/hd800-is-hurting-me-sadly-i-m-in-love-and-unhappy)

Quote:
I have some questions regarding the HD800 but before I pose them, I just want to be clear that I am considering purchasing this headphone. I'm not posting here to raise the ire of HD800 owners. I've done my HD800 research at Head-Fi and elsewhere. I've also sent PMs to Head-Fi'ers whom own this headphone along with the T1 and the PS1000 - the two other dynamics that interest me.

I've noticed a consensus of opinion regarding the HD800 in response to my enquiries. It seems that for all of its technical achievements, the HD800 doesn't engage its owners as much as their other headphones. Its sound staging capabilities were highlighted as anyone who has heard or read about this headphone has come to expect. There were the usual references to how picky it is with amplification.

I posed specific questions based on the reviews and impressions that I have read. I asked if it had a diffuse presentation compared to the T1 and PS1000, whether its imaging was as precise, whether it reproduces music with similar clarity, does it have similar weight of note or body, and is it as vivid in its presentation. Not surprisingly, the responses varied but there did appear to be some consensus regarding weight of note and vividness or dynamics. It seems that the HD800 lacks the weight of note and vividness of the other two headphones, and this may be the reason why its owners admire rather than love it. There were also descriptions of treble spikes and splashiness in the higher frequencies. The bass presentation was described as tight, detailed and extending deep into the lower frequencies, but somewhat lacking in weight and impact. 

I was wondering how these impressions compare to the experiences of other HD800 owners or those that have spent some time with it whom are posting in this thread? I have the W5000 and one Head-Fi'er remarked upon the similarities between it and the HD800, particularly in the areas of detail retrieval, clarity and bass presentation; with the HD800 having more bass presence. I regard the W5000 as having a remarkably airy presentation and spacious soundstage for a closed headphone; with excellent imaging and detail retrieval. However, I think that it's a bright sounding headphone with less than ideal bass presence, although the bass is highly detailed. Is the HD800 as bright or brighter than the W5000 and how does its bass presentation compare? 

Thanks in advance - I hope.  

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #235 of 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good point - but the clinical sound signature and fatiguing brightness of the 800  isn't :) Besides, 650 is really quite good at soundstaging and detail also. It used to be THE reference phone (of course not for all), so it really isn't night and day. I read somewhere that listening to HD800 was like attending a concert in the desert, acoustically-wise. Might be a bit exaggerated, but they are VERY airy. Not very intimate, kind of...

Yeah I can imagine the HD 650's also being a very good pair of headphones. Wish I could get a chance to try them out, but I can't unfortunately. :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #236 of 279
I agree that on a lower end system that isn't tailored to the 800s you may do better with a 650 but if you plan on building a system around it the 800 is in a different league.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #238 of 279

Quote:
My plan is to start off with the fiio e7/e9 combo (connected to my Yamaha-rig and laptop) and upgrade to tubes ASAP. 

The HD650s are a brilliant match for good tube amps in any price bracket...The HD800s will NEED more expensive tube amps to not bottleneck their performance.  Entry/mid level tube amps do not serve the HD800 any justice whatsoever IME.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #239 of 279
The 650 is not far off at all from the 800s, I have heard both at meets and I think I prefer the 650s unless there is a way to get much more bass out of the 800s and tone down he brightness (balanced recable maybe.) The 650s have a great around your head soundstage good amps, the 800s can be a little distant and uninvolving. Just my $.02 from my ears.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #240 of 279
i too, know that i would prefer the 650 over the 800. i prefer the warm bassy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back