HD600 + EarMax Pro = crap?
Feb 17, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
...I don't think it's a pop fan-only thing. I listened to jazz (Oscar Peterson representing piano, Clifford Brown for trumpet, Ella Fitzgerald and young Judy Garland for female vocals, Stephane Grappelli, Django Reinhardt, etc.) and some classical (Schoenberg...if you can call that classical...maybe "Western Art Music") and everything held true.

Vert, goldammit, I might just have to go get me some of them A44L's. If they're any better, yay. I'm glad I'm not nuts.

As for the "sounds like a PA" thing and the "no soundstage" thing, I disagree. I was stunned more times with the incredible soundstage, though that may be totally dependant upon the amp I'm using. From the headphone out of my D-25S, a lot of the micro detail and most of the soundstage is lost.

Vert, where can I get the A44Ls? I'll do a search, so I can't be shouted at...
smily_headphones1.gif

- Matt

Well that answers my question.
I don't have anything against pop.
I have enjoyed my fair share of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

It could just be that you just don't like the Senn sound!
Can you borrow some other cans to try with the earmax?

Feb 17, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
But, between you and me, I know what you're talking about. Microdetails full sized high end headphones can't even seem to pick up.

I think head-fi has finally entered the twilight zone.

Feb 17, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #34 of 65
...we might well be returned to our normal dimension in another 42 hours.

- Matt

Feb 17, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #35 of 65
Microdetails, uh, I couldn't care less man, sublties don't matter to me, I'm not fussy about little stuff. But if that makes you happy, congratulations on finding your headphone mate...

Feb 17, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #36 of 65
...is that these details are in a whole different class. I'm talking about serious differences in basic sounds which bring them to a whole other level.

For instance, on synth lines, where I originally heard a note play "waaaaaaaaaaaaah," I could now hear the subtle modulations of pitch (or amplitude, depending), making it "waawaawaawaah." Just stunning.

Another thing is I could hear these beautiful, watery echoes behind synth bass hits, where other cans haven't yet picked up these delicate things.

It's like admiring a bush while missing the small, pretty purple flowers that really make the experience worthwhile (like a nearsighted person like me not wearing his glasses). Those small, delicate things are the things that carry the most beauty.

So, this isn't petty ******** or an analytical, unpleasant listen. I'm talking about a whole new world. And I'm dead serious.

The subtle ripples in a bass tone, for instance, were translating into physical sensations of stimulation, motion and were extraordinarily beautiful. And heaven knows I'm missing that now.

I wanted to keep on listening; now I'm itching to get the new cans off.

I think it is going to be ****ing ridiculous if I end up using the EMP mostly with some Sony A44L's or something...again, I'm giving it time, though.

- Matt

Feb 17, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #39 of 65
...playing a CD with plenty of treble energy (M2M's "Shades of Purple") on auto-repeat for the last 30 + hours, so once I get home, I will give them another try and post the results here. That will have brought the burn-in time up to 42 hours.

After that, 30 more and perhaps we'll see...or rather hear...some maturation/changes/relaxation/balance/whatever.

- Matt

Feb 17, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

I think it is going to be ****ing ridiculous if I end up using the EMP mostly with some Sony A44L's or something...again, I'm giving it time, though.

Hey, that I just sold all my headphones and the big bad RKV and can still live with the A44s should say something. They're underrated and something to just discover for yourself, not much more to it than that. I still have some V6s left but those aren't getting used much anymore.

Feb 17, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 65
Personally, i've always hated sennheiser (580 and 600s) because of their etched treble which is simply awful. Very fizzy and fake.

I use my EMP with Sony CD3000 - exquisite.

Feb 18, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Vert, you're going to kill me from laughter when you get sick of it in a week.
wink.gif

Actually I've been using the A44s already for over a month now, and quite exclusively I might add, so I don't think you'll be laughing anytime soon.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #45 of 65
...Hart Huschens (who sold me the EarMax Pro) *told* me to go for the Sony 2000s or 3000s. I should have listened.
frown.gif

These things are just not resolving the music holographically-but-naturally like I'm used to (for instance with the "crap" Sony vertical in-ears or Grado RS-1s). I mean, I was getting better-than-RS-1 holography with the EMP + Sony vertical in-ears, but now that's all gone.

They also have this "veiled" & "hidden-behind-an-electric-sheen" thing going on that is unpleasant (and I don't mean the "ten rows back" kind...the Sony Vertical in-ears did that fine. There is no life and I don't want to continue listening, as I did with the Sonys). Reminiscent of "Koss KSC-50s + EMP." Un-bloody-believable.

I am not going to totally dis the '600s yet (gonna give 'em their week), but geez.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back