HD600 + EarMax Pro = crap?
Feb 16, 2002 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Oh my...

I've gotten my HD600s last night (one week & four day wait from Jan Meier), left them on all night and have donned them for the first time. My first impression? "Whaaaaah?"

During the time I have been waiting for the 600s (which has actually been more like seven actual, real, hard-to-bear, tortured weeks, because the first pair Jan sent me seem to have somehow been lost in the mail...but I digress...), I have been listening to my ONLY pair of headphones, Sony MDR-W07s, which came with an "All-Weather Sport" Sony walkman tape player some years ago.

Anyhow, after the 12 hours of burn in time (which I don't really believe in, but do religiously anyways), I notice that *compared to the frickin' Sonys* the highs are way etched, the midrage is just...there...(nothing special) and I am missing micro-details like I was getting with the Sonys (delicate echoes from synth hits on my Deee-lite CD, for instance).

The highs are pretty fuggin' forward AND etched, which was not the case with the Sonys. Though the Sonys are flimsy and, well, yellow, they were doing things much better than the 600s. The highs were just natural and effortless in comparison.

The bass on the 600s is so heavy. This may just be a function of the fact that I've been listening to the Sonys, but the Sonys definitely were not deficient with the EarMax Pro.

Anyhow, what I am asking for is some reassurance or a dictum to ditch these ****ing things. Bah.

I saved the equiptment list for last to be able to firmly instil in your mind that this setup sounds very revealing and musical with the Sonys. Though the interconnect isn't the best, I was hearing so much more detail and music with the Sonys.

(Equiptment: Sony D-25S > Acoustic Research "Y" cable (mini to RCA) > EarMax Pro > HD600s)

Grrr...

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 65
Oh Matt! Those are some pretty strong words!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Something must be wrong 'cause that should be a heavenly setup even to a Grado lover like me.

Have you contacted Jan yet? If not, maybe he can be of some help before you flush those cans down the can!

Feb 16, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 65
Mattski

I don't think it's the Senns, it's probably your EMP. My recommendation is that you sell it to me.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 65
Here's the problem: you're used to the extremely crappy sound you got out of the Sonys. Now suddenly you have high-end sound. It's natural. It doesn't attempt to wow you. You feel disappointed.

The recommendation: listen to the Senns *exclusively* for no less than two weeks, and then re-evaluate your opinions.

Feb 16, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 65
You dare compare the mighty Senns to stock Sony headphones?
mad.gif

The HD600 sounds muddy and bright until broken in. It took 72 hours straight to settle mine in, and two weeks to be completely broken in. It doesn't help that the Sony D-25S has a bright sound either.

How the hell do you have a reference amp but crappy source? Get a dedicated home CD player!

Feb 16, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 65
Hmm, it's not often you hear a bad 600/EMPro combination review. Maybe the 600s need some burn-in. Maybe you just hate the laid-back sound. Or maybe we have another Sony vertical earbud controversy, ala Vertigo.

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 65
Shiovhum...let me assure you that the sound (compared to the current HD600 sound) of the Sonys was definitely NOT crappy. I was enjoying the revealing, delicate sound with the Sonys...even the bass sounded tight, tuneful and right where it needed to be.

I do realize that there are going to have to be some adjustments (mentally, aurally, whatever), so I will have to give it some time. BUT that still doesn't negate the fact that the Senns sound *totally* etched in the upper-highs.

Trust me, I've been through the mill (Grado RA-1/RS-1/entire SR- series, Etys w/Ety-optimized JMT amp, Sony MDR-V6s, etc.)
with regard to headphones and, so far, believe it or not, I've enjoyed the POS included-with-the-tape-walkman Sonys with the EMP over everything else. I mean, I was literally being taken over, knocked out and sucked into magical journies by the wonderous sound. However...

Audio&Me: yes, there is definite mud there (the bass is *so* overly resonant, wooly, unrefined and uncontrolled. Yack.) and they sound unpleasantly bright.

As indicated, I will give these bastards 72 hours for the preliminary, then a week for the total break-in. If they're still **** after that, I'm going to descend into hermitage (at least until I can afford some Sony MDR-R10s and a MicroZOTL).

I got the D-25S because it was cheap. After splashing out nearly $1000 for the '600 + EMP combo, it had to be. It was a "best bang for the buck" consideration. Regardless, what would you suggest as the next level of "best bang for the buck" CD transport/DAC? Is that Art DI/O really that good? Would that be a good next step with a decent budget transport?

Oooh, also: what is the deal with the Clou cables? Is there one that isn't like fifty miles long? The stock Senn cord is pissing me off. I need *maybe* four feet. I can't imagine ever needing more. Any ideas? I know there are a ton of new ones coming out...

Thanks for the help so far guys. Any more data would be appreciated

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 65
Matt, the brightness in treble and bass muddiness will subside with time, trust me. I too was very skeptical that headphones needed to be "burned in," but the difference is real. Even my wife noticed that the same phones sound different after time.

The treble will smooth out and become controlled. The bass will be tight but deep. You have one of very best headphone/amp combos on the market today, so give it time!

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 65
...that's what those Sonys I have are, they're vertical earbuds. They're pretty wonderful with the EMP.

- Matt

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 65
How much of a difference is the EMPro making for those earbuds? Hehe, maybe you and Vert should have a shoot-out to determine the ultimate Sony vertical earbud.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 65
Matt, can you give exact examples of the Senn's etched highs? For example, do you have any famous classical recordings where you hear these etched highs...? If so, where exactly in the music do you hear them (which instruments, which song, etc.), and how does they sound different on the Sony?

Also, listen to some music with multiple voices going at the same time. Can you hear the exact words the people speak better on the Sony or the Sennheiser?

Listen to some large orchestral music. Can you distinguish between the different threads of music better on the Sony or the Sennheiser?

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
Trust me, I've been through the mill (Grado RA-1/RS-1/entire SR- series, Etys w/Ety-optimized JMT amp, Sony MDR-V6s, etc.)
with regard to headphones and, so far, believe it or not, I've enjoyed the POS included-with-the-tape-walkman Sonys with the EMP over everything else. I mean, I was literally being taken over, knocked out and sucked into magical journies by the wonderous sound.

Matt, the only advice I can give you, since I have all of the combinations you listed (except the POS 'phones) and they all sound great in different ways, you should, as has been suggested, listen to nothing else but the Senn/EMP combo for a week staright. If, after that, you still prefer the sound of the POS 'phones, just continue to enjoy them. Of course, you'll be banned from ever posting here again.
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 65
stay with it. It's natural to have infatuations with other phones. Whenever I get a new headphone, I am drawn to whatever aspect it does really well and will think it sounds the best for a bit. But then I come back to my Senns every time. Seriously, Senns change in character a lot after you really work 'em out.

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 65
This is definately the strangest thread I've come across.

Then again, I've never tried the EMP, it could be the amp. But vertical earbuds that sound better than Senns (you can't even get a good seal with those things!)? Wha?? Let alone anything.
biggrin.gif

I can't stand short cords. The Clou cables tighten up the bass and brings the treble little more forward but still laid back, does nothing to the midrange, as in more over all impact, not much difference but people swear by it. I've been happy with it, not bright like others say it is, and believe me, I HATE bright sound.

Bang for buck CD Players ($300 range):
Denon DCM-370
Harman Kardon FL8380
I've auditioned the Marantz CC4000, but I liked the other two listed above better. I have the HK.

I don't know about the transport outboard DAC thing, pm kelly or chych about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back