HD580's are better than I thought they would be
Sep 30, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #31 of 43
sacdlover,
give a listen to the new 7.2's, not edgy at all (neither are the CD3k's), extremely transparent, but certainly more forward sounding than something like Dunlavy, and certainly in a higher class than anything PSB makes.

Sep 30, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 43
You see? Just an slight different opinion, and you are considered even as a "terrorist" (the burning in hell comes later)...I told you...hail sennheiser!!!!!
smilie.php

Sep 30, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #33 of 43
Tyson, by the way, I have by the way spent considerable time getting the treble right with the 3k's. It was to prominent until I switched interconnects and the power cord to my source. Bass is just not an issue; its powerful, weighty but not in the least boomy using a gilmore amp.

Oct 1, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 43
I'm new to this site, but I've owned Senn 580's since 1996. I would compare them to an old friend. They give an honest, laid back presentation that you want to go back to after trying out the latest and greatest. While they aren't great for everything, they are still a wonderful window to the world of music. With that being said, I think most people like the option of having something a little more up front, with a little more slam when the mood strikes. Got a poor recording? Want to sit with the band? Grab the Grados. But just remember the old friend when you want that honest, laid back presentation. Writing this just makes me want to grab the old friend and listen to the soundtrack to Bladerunner.

Oct 1, 2003 at 6:38 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Actually if you read this boards (not so recently) you would be "obligated" of loving them....all what you can read were praises for them...like a big cult...Hail Sennsheiser!!!!!
That was a "monarchy" over years here (and right now is about to take the power again, with the new upcomming HD650, you will see in a few weeks) when first I became member of those forums about two years ago, I even got a pair of the HD600 following those suggestions, there was no other suggestion at those early days, even now if you even think in post against them, even being in your opinion, you will burn in hell, before....
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Thanks God CD3KLF is making some progress.....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I can understand that, but I am not really influenced about what anyone else thinks I should find good. I am cetain the CD3000 is every bit as good, but it does seem to be the case on this forum that there are definite trends which seem to result in the same product being recommended time and time again. I am not having a go at anyone here, its just interesting I thought that I seem to be going against the general consensus here. Now, I havent heard the CD3000, but I am now wondering if I really like that bright sound that I thought I liked, and if theres one thing that seems universally accepted, its that the CD3000 IS brighter than the HD600. Yet, I am finding the 580's brightness just perfect for me at the minute.

The thing that impresses me is that I was expecting them to be laid back to the point of complete blandness. Partly in consideration of the recent war where the HD600's have been called such time and time again. Quick comparison with the DT990 Pro's, also seemed to re-enforce that point. However, although on quick comparison to the DT990, the HD580 seems bland, when one actually gives it a chance, on my setup at least, they really dont sound that bland at all, quite the opposite. I'd say they certainly smooth the edges of an otherwise very forward system. Its SYNERGY guys! However, for those who like to have their ears shredded by treble, then these are not the cans for you, and to be honest, almost every other headphone seemed to have that effect on me in the long term, and it became a bit wearing. My speakers, despite being forward, have never caused fatigue like that. What is the difference? Perhaps its this "distance" people talk about. But in that respect, my loudspeakers do not sit right at my ears, but they sit up to 10 feet away, allowing for the effects of the room to put distance between me and the music. In this respect, I do find the 580 more speaker like than any other headphone I've heard. It does seem to try and deviate from the standard headphone sound, and maybe thats where the difference of opinion stem.

Not only that, but I am certain that they are one of the most "musical" (yes crap term i know) headphones I've heard to date - a comment I never thought I would direct at them.

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
I can understand that, but I am not really influenced about what anyone else thinks I should find good. I am cetain the CD3000 is every bit as good, but it does seem to be the case on this forum that there are definite trends which seem to result in the same product being recommended time and time again. I am not having a go at anyone here, its just interesting I thought that I seem to be going against the general consensus here.

I don't think you are. Sennheiser fans are not usually very vocal about it; there's no reason to be (as Sovkiller so kindly points out), they're already accepted as the best dynamic cans in their price range, or at least among the best. I think it was Jude who posted the results of a search earlier; I'd bet more forum members own a pair of HD580/600 than any other model of cans here. So most are probably talking about amps, or sources, or just relaxing and enjoying the music
smily_headphones1.gif

I think what you've been seeing is a very vocal contingent of CD3k fans (in particular) talking about how "distant" and "laid back" the 580/600 are. Why, I don't know... I guess some people imagine there's some sort of competition going on (inside their own minds? Where else would it be happening?). As if one's choice of cans was part of a popularity contest rather than a matter of system setup and personal preferences, or maybe some people feel insecure about their choice of cans and need a bunch of other people to agree with -- dunno.

P.S. to Large4mat: Have you changed the pads on your 580s since 1996? I've had mine for less than 2 weeks, and the pads already aren't looking as good as they were... I can imagine in just 6 months of daily use they could be looking pretty ratty. I think I'm ordering a backup pair soon.

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:05 AM Post #37 of 43
I only heard the HD580 and HD600 for a very brief time at the Denver meet, both out of a Max with Cardas cables, but I was surprised by both. While not my type of cans overall, they definately were better than I thought for my beat-driven industrial. Like my HD497 they seemed to have an overall likeable character, the only real part that bothered me about them was the veiled midrange, but otherwise they were quite good overall and I guess the best way to describe them is unobtrusive. They don't have any glaring flaws and are pleasant to listen to. While I don't think I will get a set any day soon I certainly don't hold anything against them. In the brief time I heard them they had an overall tonality that seems like it could work well for a lot of music.

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:13 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
I only heard the HD580 and HD600 for a very brief time at the Denver meet, both out of a Max with Cardas cables, but I was surprised by both. While not my type of cans overall, they definately were better than I thought for my beat-driven industrial. Like my HD497 they seemed to have an overall likeable character, the only real part that bothered me about them was the veiled midrange, but otherwise they were quite good overall and I guess the best way to describe them is unobtrusive. They don't have any glaring flaws and are pleasant to listen to.

Ahh, but you really haven't heard their subtleties if you only listened briefly.

I know how common a statement that is, and will say that I had the same impression as you did hearing the HD580 and HD600 briefly (at a recent meet)... unobtrusive, boring, neutral-istic, etc... in fact, the only reason I wanted a pair of HD-580 was for classical and was planning to continue with my current Denon AH-D950 closed cans for everything else.

Surprise, surprise... it only took 3 days before I was hooked (probably less time than the average person). In those 3 days I heard things you people wouldn't believe... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.... etc.
580smile.gif

Probably like all cans -- you haven't really heard them unless you have them in your hot hands for a few days...

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:19 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Large4mat
They give an honest, laid back presentation that you want to go back to after trying out the latest and greatest.

The way I read it, when your ears get tired from listening to very forward, or bright, or bassy headphones, you want to relax your ears.

that's the way I feel about my K501 after listening to the DT931 for awhile. my ears get tired. they need some rest. they need to relax. i need to mellow out. please, no more booom, boom, boom, zzzz, zzzz, zzzz. gotta get rid of the ringing in the ears.

yes, I put in 100 ohm resistors in the DT931 to tame the treble. but it also tamed a little of the bass. but at least i can listen to them longer, now.

Oct 1, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #40 of 43
Surprise, surprise... it only took 3 days before I was hooked (probably less time than the average person). In those 3 days I heard things you people wouldn't believe... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.... etc.

I see we have another BladeRunner fan on the site. Fewtch is right. The 580's are what I would call an aquired taste. The first time I heard them I could not believe what all the hoopla was about, but after about 2 weeks with them, I started to hear/appreciate just what these cans were capable of resolving. The most important aspect of these cans is that they are incredibly detailed without being fatiguing. You can listen to the 580's all day. The fact that they are so comfortable doesn't hurt them either.

Oct 1, 2003 at 11:03 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
I don't think you are. Sennheiser fans are not usually very vocal about it; there's no reason to be (as Sovkiller so kindly points out), they're already accepted as the best dynamic cans in their price range, or at least among the best.

They are not vocal, you said, and how you call this??? Hail Sennheiser!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 11:14 AM Post #43 of 43
That was a joke......let's put the smilie, just in case, I don't wanna be burned alive....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back