HD580's are better than I thought they would be
Sep 29, 2003 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just loaned some HD580's, after being curious to know what they would sound like after the recent HD600 v CD3000 war
biggrin.gif

I received them today, and initial impressions are quite good actually, they sound MUCH better than I thought they would be. They certainly do have the safe sound that I was expecting, neither being too bright or too bassy. They do have a warm, pleasant sound that does sound great for things like Chicane. Dare I say it, they even sound quite musical. I can notice the veil that people talk about, but I'm not really sure if it even bothers me, although it does keep you at a distance with the music, but in many ways this is more natural and less fatiguing.

It doesnt sound quite right for more banging music though, that veil really depletes the involvement and excitement of more banging tunes.

So, the 580 is a good headphone no doubt, but its not for all types of music. They definetly lack the excitement for banging out Armin Van Buuren and Lab4.

Are they as good as the DT770 Pro's? Totally different animal, but I'd say they were better than those.

As good as the DT880? I actually would find the HD580 easier to live with, its laid back, but so is the DT880, yet that can sound bright sometimes to my ears. Laid back should be exactly that, laid back.

As good as the DT990? Well the HD580's are more natural thats for sure, but the DT990's are much more fun to listen to by far. I prefer the DT990 to the HD580 (or DT880, DT770).

And here concludes my mini Senn HD580 review.

Sep 29, 2003 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 43
Senns are great cans, they just eat your money. You just place your cash in between the earcups, and voila! gone. Cables, amps, sources all to feed these money-eaters. That said, I still love 'em
wink.gif

Senns will scale amazingly well for their price, hook them up to megabuck equipment, you get megabuck sound. But even in the worst of situations, they don't often sound bad (unless horribly underpowered to high volumes).

-dd3mon

Sep 29, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by pbirkett
As good as the DT880? I actually would find the HD580 easier to live with, its laid back, but so is the DT880, yet that can sound bright sometimes to my ears.

i feel that the DT880 are more loyal to the nature of the recording, more responsive. but interesting, they do have a sonic signature at the level of the senns (i find the 580 and 600 very very similar), more or less.
overall, it's true - for me it can just be less enjoying with the less good recordings. but the good ones shines with the DT880's angel like character. just nice to be there.
i guess most of the people would prefer senns for hardcore electronica - i almost always prefer the beyers - they are to fall in love with (until upgraditis hits..)

the senns are more foot tappers - takes a minute to understand.
the beyers has elavating spirit in them - took me a few days to feel that.

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 43
You point out something very important HD580 is not that exciting. IMO HD580 is very very good for the going price these days. It's probably the best bang for buck due to it's scalibility. But when it comes down to it, HD580 doesn't bring me enough excitment so I switched to CD3000. Still, HD580 is a great set of phones.

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 43
I find many aspects of the HD-580 to be very exciting (its neutrality, naturalness with musical instruments, tonal richness or "color" (not the same as "coloration"), even the so-called veil which to me isn't one -- merely a lack of the "blobs in your head" effect common with so many phones, and a spacious, expansive soundstage/headstage with a lot of music).

Then again, I'm a very boring person by many people's standards, so they match me very well...
biggrin.gif
I like subtleties and am interested in the quieter, less noticeable/obvious aspects of life.

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 43
Any newbie who reads these boards probably thinks Sennheisers are crap from the way you guys talk about them. I think y'all underrate the HD580 and HD600. They are fine sounding cans. I could easily live with either as my only set. They aren't the best cans for everyone (yes stereophile definitely stretched the best dynamic can award) but they have a lot to offer.

Sep 30, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
Any newbie who reads these boards probably thinks Sennheisers are crap from the way you guys talk about them. I think y'all underrate the HD580 and HD600. They are fine sounding cans. I could easily live with either as my only set. They aren't the best cans for everyone (yes stereophile definitely stretched the best dynamic can award) but they have a lot to offer.

Agreed.

Sep 30, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 43
I can see why people dont like them to be honest, but equally I can see why people like them also. My Rotel already sounds quite forward, which makes the Rotel a good amplifier for driving them.

What they do well, is to never sound harsh, they have a warm sound, that is perhaps not the most detailed around, but I have always found the most detailed cans annoying with their level of detail. Despite their lack of forwardness in the higher registers, they display a level of cohesiveness that means these headphones can carry a tune, and can actually groove pretty well overall. They are probably one of the better cans I've heard for electronica in many ways, but that is just my opinion. Better than the DT880 due to having more bass weight in this respect, although the DT880 has a very smooth and heaven like sound. The 580's overall seem to sound more forward than the DT880 did though.

Over the last few days I have seen this cans called worse than **** (not just here, BTW). That is a bit unfair IMO. Sure other cans have more detail, more clarity and more liveliness in the upper frequencies. But the 580's have their own rewards by being easy and pleasant to listen to, natural sounding, having good bass performance (but that being said, the bass performance is NOT in the same league as the DT990).

Overall I find these a nice warm sounding compliment to the DT990's which are my main cans at the moment, but these certainly make a nice change.

I dont suppose that I will waste money on bigger and better amps and cables though, they dont really do enough for me to justify all that. although HD650 looks an interesting proposition, although it might be a bit too pricey for me.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
(yes stereophile definitely stretched the best dynamic can award)

Maybe in your opinion, but I've heard all the "top" headphones except the R10 and the HP1000, and I have yet to hear a better dynamic headphone than the HD 600 driven by the BlockHead. I know I'm not alone in this respect. So I don't think they "stretched" the award by any means. They just have different preferences than you.

Perhaps they might prefer the R10; I don't know, and neither will anyone, I suspect, considering their price and limited availability.

Sep 30, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 43
While I have never heard the legendary HD600/Blockhead combo, I can vouch for my HD600/Max rig. I prefer this combo over all my others (this includes the RS1 & MSPro/Max, DT880/PreHead [sold], CD3000/ZOTL [sold], Omega II/SRM-007t & SRM-717, HP-2/EAR HP4, K1000/RVK MK II and W2002/EAR HP4) most of the time. While there are occasions when I prefer the warmth of the W2002, the amazing resolution of the Grado HP-2 or the magical transparency of the Omega II, the HD600/Max receives most of my attention. At the office my HD580 beats out my SR-225 and MDR-V6 for overall listening time. I guess I'm just a Sennheiser man. I'm still looking forward to hearing the HD600 & HD650/Blockhead combo (among others...R10/Angstrom...Orpheus...Omega II/Blue Hawaii).
600smile.gif
580smile.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 43
PB,

I would rather live with a boring headphone than one that grates at my nerves because of a glaring deficiency or exaggeration. Of course that is always subjective, as some cannot bear an overly bright headphone, whilst others cannot take a pounding bass. If, for the most part, it is neutral and detailed in the midrange and the overall balance is good, chances are that I'll like it. Whether I'd buy it is another matter. But I would at least consider them. And as always, price is a main consideration. With the new HD650 coming out I would expect HD580/HD590/HD600 prices to plummet.

All headphones usually have one redeeming quality, but some are perceived to be so bad that they can not even be listened to for more than 1 minute.

And no, detail to me is not necessarily just in the high end. Detail to me lies within a sweet and emoting rosinating violin, a pluck of a guitar chord, the sweetness of an oboe note, the crispness of a piano note, etc.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915 I'd like to comment that When I listened to the HD580s, and tried to analyze their sound, I found that I prefer their sound whole-heartedly more than the D66SL, they are actually more exciting than the eggos, in my opionion, believe it or not.

That's very easy to believe. I've never heard the Eggos called "exciting", though they have different midrange relationship to the ends. Depending on your music choices and listening preferences either could more engaging. Guessing most times though it's the 580.

Also, the 580's are a great deal for the price point. The Eggos are not. Different intended uses of course, but only $60 separate them. You get a lot for that $60.

Plus it seems half the reason the 580's & 600's are called "too laid back" or "boring" is because of all the comparisons to the Grados. Feel it's the same way in reverse for the Grados and Classical music. The Grados don't suck at Classical and the Sennheisers are not boring. Just the Senns do Classical (and some Jazz) often better, and the Grados are usually more emotionally engaging.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 43
I agree w/MacDEF and NeilPert - the 600's were easily my top choice when compared against the RS-1's (too much bass) and CD3k's (too much bass and too much treble). The 600's just fit my preferences to a T.

Sep 30, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 43
I must say, the 580's are growing on me more and more. I never thought this would happen because of my own prejudices and whatever, I simply didnt think I'd like them, but I reckon they sound excellent for techno and such. They are not bright or forward, but equally they do not irritate in any ways, and its one of the few cans I can listen to with any volume without it tiring me out, and I personally think they are indeed musical and quite groovy at least in my system they are, I cant really speak for anyone elses, although my system does have bloated bass and bright treble, they seem to go quite well with it.

Its strange how I feel completely differently to when I first started my headphone adventure - back then, I thought I would prefer bright and lean, but in the end, I'm preferring the almost complete opposite. It is indeed strange, but I am going to see how I get on with them in the coming weeks - I seem to be going off headphones at a worrying rate - barely seeming to last more than a couple of weeks for me, so I am not going to say anything for certain right now.

I think I might be certain about one thing though - as good as I am sure the CD3000's are, I am mighty glad I listened to these first, as initially, they are seeming to be quite up my street.

I dunno... I am just so confused
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back