hd25-1 impressions thread
May 11, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #196 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been very impressed by the sound quality of the headphone out of my iRiver H140. It's got a lot more gain and overall bass oomph than my iPod Video. I'm thinking that the HD25-1 could be a great headphone to drive portably direct from the H140 with good SQ and isolation. (Perhaps order the cans, replacement cooper cable and velour pads in one go from Thomann.)

Any thoughts on how the H140 might drive these? Thanks in advance!

Snap I am also tempted to try these with my H140. I need to find a store to dem them.

May 11, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #197 of 3,348
The one mod that really improves these is a recable. The stock cable is awful. Headphile's replacement cable is fantastic and makes a huge difference, but even using a HD650 cable really does improve the sound a lot. It can take the HD25-1's, which are very good stock, to an even higher level.

May 11, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #198 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i exchanged the stock pads with the velour ones and my ears love the added comfort! and the velour pads don't stick to my skin like the old ones.
i feel the sound sig is a little laid back now.
i like that, not as in my ear fatiguing like before.
the cable i used to replace the steel one: http://www.thomann.de/de/sennheiser_...rsatzkabel.htm
i was worried about it being the "right" one (ofc etc).
it is softer/more supple then the stock one and changed (in combination with the velour pads) the sound sig.
that's all i wanted!
smily_headphones1.gif

i shortend it and added a smaller right angle plug for portable use.

am happy with my babies!
now i'm breaking in my ears, they just have to get used to the circumaural pressure...

love + mirth to you freaks,
daniel
wink.gif

Great, Daniel. That is the reputed copper cabler at 3.5 meters. I also see that Thomann are selling a right angle Neutrik connector. Is that what you used? Most importantly please, was shortening it difficult? I'm not much of a DIYer - was soldering invlved?

May 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #199 of 3,348
cooperpwc - isn't it amazing how many posts back I gave correct Thomann page link and Senn. item # for the cable................anyway both Neutrik or switchcraft plugs are good (an inveterate amp user, I tend to prefer straight plug). After you cut your cable to length you will see strands are differing colors - that is an enamal that has to be burned off before soldering or else you will not have contact............there are some useful soldering guides on DIY pages here.

May 11, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #200 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cooperpwc - isn't it amazing how many posts back I gave correct Thomann page link and Senn. item # for the cable................anyway both Neutrik or switchcraft plugs are good (an inveterate amp user, I tend to prefer straight plug). After you cut your cable to length you will see strands are differing colors - that is an enamal that has to be burned off before soldering or else you will not have contact............there are some useful soldering guides on DIY pages here.

Thanks! I hope to audition these cans this weekend. They sound like a great portable for around the house and neighbourhood.

May 11, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #201 of 3,348
I'll suggest a slightly bizzaro idea - Denon D2000 (either cut cable or put on something like a BlueDragon). Light weight, very comfortable, easily powered, exceptional bass (tight, detailed), mids forwardness is ever-so-slight, well-made, nice modern appearance, real leather earpads and headband cover. Soundstage just about equal to Beyers. They are, however, somewhat bright to my taste - but still v. good.

May 11, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #202 of 3,348
I think the Denon D2000's sound better than the HD25-1's, and are a zillion times more comfortable. BUT: the Denons basically don't isolate, whereas the HD25-1's isolate exceptionally well. This has to be factored in.

May 11, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #203 of 3,348
factored in for some - no, ... and then there is the married with children group
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #204 of 3,348
The denon ones cost more than the Hd25 right?.

One thing though, when I ordered the hd25 from thomann.de it didnt state which model it was (hd25-1 II etcetc). But checkin on its stats I assumed it was the HD25-1 model, I just hope I assumed right :|

May 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #205 of 3,348
If you chose the HD25 at Thomann @ 144 Euros - that is the correct one. For your reference the Denon D2000 would have cost you 90USD more.

May 11, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #206 of 3,348
Well being an impatient kind of guy, I dropped by Bay Bloor Radio on my way home from work and demo'd the HD25-1s. I was very impressed. To get that sound from small closed cans is great. Isolation (which is actually the other high priority with SQ and size) is also impressive. I would love to have tried the Denon 2000s but no luck. I didn't like the 1000s but they're pretty cheap.

Here is the shocker: CAD$350 plus tax. (I'm on my Blackberry. Insert various outraged smileys here.) An order from Thomann with velour pads, cable upgrade and replacement mini jack makes a lot of sense.

No rush. I'm still glowing in the warmth of my H140 night table kit. (Proper pics this weekend.)

Just on the topic of the Bay Bloor Radio wall of sound, I demo'd again the Sennheiser 650s and AKG701s, being very familiar now with mt DT880/600s. Both great cans and nothing in either to make me switch. The 650s are dark and distant. Nice sound but I like the clarity of the 880s. The 701s sounded dry - in fairness their Denon amp can't compete with my tube headamp - but mostly they reminded me of the 880s with velour pads. The bass on my leathered 880s is much nicer. The one set of headphones that really impressed me (aside from the closed HD25s which were impressive in their isolating context) were the Grado RS-2s. Tight tight bass. A bit wild on the trebles but I've grown to like treble. Really a forward rocking sound. I'm in no rush to get Grados - I'm still a detail and soundstage freak - but I think I get this Grado passion.

Okay back to the regularly scheduled thread. Thanks for the advice all.

May 12, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #207 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also see that Thomann are selling a right angle Neutrik connector. Is that what you used? Most importantly please, was shortening it difficult? I'm not much of a DIYer - was soldering invlved?

the right angle neutrik plug is the one i used.
for the shortening i took a sharp scissior and snap the cable was shortend.
for the soldering i went to a store that sells used hifi equipment and the guy did it for me ( 3,50 euros)
wink.gif

have fun everyone!

May 12, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #208 of 3,348
This may not be the best thread to ask this, but has anyone here heard/owned both the HD25-1 and the Beyer DT660? I'd be quite interested in how you would compare the two. I'm looking for a closed headphone for use without an amp, basically a swiss army knife of closed headphones that I can use anywhere anytime. I've narrowed it down to these two, and read saint.panda's review of 15 closed cans but that didn't really make the choice any easier. So any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

May 12, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #209 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the soldering i we. nt to a store that sells used hifi equipment and the guy did it for me

That's the same fine soldering technique that I'm thinking of using.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back