hd25-1 impressions thread
May 9, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #182 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These cans don't require an amp at all to sound good (i.e. H140 can power it easily!) but they do improve with one !

Thanks for this. The interesting question for me is how these with just the H140 compare to with the iPod Video and Bithead. Pretty well, I suspect, and that would justify carrying the bulk of the H140. (Phasing out the iPod Video if I can...)

Wonder what these cost in Canada. I think that Bay Bloor Radio has them so I'll find out!

May 10, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #184 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cups are too small

hate to rain on ur parade

Compared to what? To Sennheiser hd650? Yes. To AKG 81dj? About the same. To Sennheiser px200? Nope.

To me they fit very well. No point in saying they're to small as a general complaint. They're supraaural and if they were bigger they'd almost be circumaural
blink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #185 of 3,348
I had the opportunity to test these today, they are bigger which is a big plus and overall I liked them. So I should get the velour pads? what about a new cabel, read something about a better replacement cabel?

and last, are there any other cans I should look into, which could compete with HD25-1 in sound/portability ?

May 10, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #186 of 3,348
W0lla - suggest you click "Reviews" in the Headphone section of the main menu. Scroll down the resulting page and you will come across a review specifically re HD25 - written by Saint.Panda. It is well-done. Better to start there, than asking questions that have been answered many times over.........then, if you have more questions after gaining better insight to the HD25 - ask away.

May 10, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #187 of 3,348
Yea, I read the review, gonna buy the velour pads but Iam still confused about the cable. One thing which I did get was that I used definitely change the stock cable, but to what cable, a regular replacement cable done for HD25-1, arent those same as the stock cable?

this is the place Iam gonna buy them from; http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir....w=hd25&x=0&y=0

could someone with more knowledge point out the right cable
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #188 of 3,348
Well, the cable that fits without any mods whatsoever, and is OFC, is or was the part. no 74532 cable.

Searching by 74532 on thomann, brings you a cable with a different part no, which is 50cm longer, but they don't state wether this is still OFC.
frown.gif

I'd email them and ask.

May 10, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #189 of 3,348
Bushguy gave a link above to a cable that is 3.5 meters long and which he identified as copper cable: SENNHEISER 515640 ERSATZKABEL. Given it's considerable length, I find the recommendation that this is a different cable from the standard to be believable.

I just wish it wasn't soooo long.

May 11, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #192 of 3,348
w0lla;2944627 said:
Yea, I read the review, gonna buy the velour pads but Iam still confused about the cable. One thing which I did get was that I used definitely change the stock cable, but to what cable, a regular replacement cable done for HD25-1, arent those same as the stock cable?

QUOTE]

Hi,

I just got another HD25 and my old pair have nice soft velour pads and a Sennheiser lead. I am not convinced that the mods do it as much justice as often stated.

IMO, the version as sold has more treble definition than the modded pair. In fact, I foound my modded pair slightly recessed and not as detailed sounding in direct comparison with the standard pair with the steel lead and the plastic pads!!

I'm just saying this because the cost of the mods imo wasn't worth the effort.

Ian

May 11, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #193 of 3,348
Have had these a little while now--to state the obvious, these are an excellent portable closed can. Quite comfortable with the velours. Overpriced, yes--but I guess Sennheiser is reaping the beneift of being the best in a particular market segment (portable closed). ES7 is the only competitor to the throne--and IMO HD25-1 wins with its throw-them-around durability and solid all-around sound signature. You can't go wrong with HD25-1s--though they probably should be $25-$50 less expensive than they are (at the minimum). At over $100 more expensive than K81DJ, it's actually pretty absurd. Sure, they're better, but c'mon.

The "stealth factor" of these are certainly much appreciated. You can wear them in the office or around town without fear of attracting attention (relatively speaking). They sound, look, and feel like a wise choice.

May 11, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #194 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got another HD25 and my old pair have nice soft velour pads and a Sennheiser lead. I am not convinced that the mods do it as much justice as often stated.

IMO, the version as sold has more treble definition than the modded pair. In fact, I foound my modded pair slightly recessed and not as detailed sounding in direct comparison with the standard pair with the steel lead and the plastic pads!!

I'm just saying this because the cost of the mods imo wasn't worth the effort.

Ian

i exchanged the stock pads with the velour ones and my ears love the added comfort! and the velour pads don't stick to my skin like the old ones.
i feel the sound sig is a little laid back now.
i like that, not as in my ear fatiguing like before.
the cable i used to replace the steel one: http://www.thomann.de/de/sennheiser_...rsatzkabel.htm
i was worried about it being the "right" one (ofc etc).
it is softer/more supple then the stock one and changed (in combination with the velour pads) the sound sig.
that's all i wanted!
smily_headphones1.gif

i shortend it and added a smaller right angle plug for portable use.

am happy with my babies!
now i'm breaking in my ears, they just have to get used to the superaural pressure...

love + mirth to you freaks,
daniel
wink.gif

May 11, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #195 of 3,348
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i
am happy with my babies!
now i'm breaking in my ears, they just have to get used to the circumaural pressure...

love + mirth to you freaks,
daniel
wink.gif

They are a great headphone. It was just that I had the opportunity to A/B the pad mod and cable mod directly.

The Velour pads certainly are nicer on your ears since that squashed feeling is pretty awsome!!!!

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back