hd25-1 impressions thread
Jun 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,921 of 3,348
Quote:
I think I may have put the connector in the opposite way.

Hello 
smily_headphones1.gif

Doesn't that change the phasing?

Best

James

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,922 of 3,348
Quote:
Hello 
smily_headphones1.gif

Doesn't that change the phasing?

Best

James

Probably, James, but my point was that after some amount of wiggling over the years the right cup of my HD 25 consistently behaved themselves. :)

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,923 of 3,348
Just bought HD25-1 2 days ago, and I'm very impressed by the headphones on majority of the music I listen to. However, when the music involves quick sections of high treble and bass, it feels really muddy/muffled. Will that improve over time or my ears are just spoiled by HD580?

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,924 of 3,348
I've been STRONGLY considering the HD25-1's because of it's popularity of DJs. I'm looking for something to use at the office for EDM(House/Trance/Tech). They dont plan to be commute headphones but the durability of the HD25's is a bonus. For that price $200, is ther something more ideal? And is it worth grabbing at $200 or there's enough deals for cheaper?

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #1,926 of 3,348
I had a listen to each pair of HD25-1 II I am selling on eBay to ensure they worked correctly and have to say they sounded very nice. Definitely a true value in their price range. I am on the fence on whether I should keep one pair for myself. The only thing holding me back is my penchant for prominent mids and highs.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,927 of 3,348
So you'd prefer some AT or AKG? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,928 of 3,348
My new HD25s arrived yesterday a day early (Amazon Prime), and my initial impressions are favorable.  I'm just a little disappointed that the bass seems a bit overemphasized and a wee bit uncontrolled.  I'm hopeful burn-in will help --- or I can just try the included velour pads to get some bass attenuation.  I'll give that a try tonight.

I have to say after  reading through about the first 25 pages of this thread that I'm extremely surprised that there are so many people who still believe that recabling a 1 or 2 meter length cable will somehow change the SQ of a 70 ohm headphone.  Of course, those pages were written in 2007 --- perhaps people have studied up on their electronics and signal theory and are more enlightened here in 2012.  But that's the subject of a different thread entirely (hopefully).

If anyone can share their experiences of SQ change with time (i.e. burn-in), I would be interested in hearing.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #1,929 of 3,348
So you'd prefer some AT or AKG?  :veryevil:

Worse I'm a Shure man (SRH-940/1440) LOL

I started out a bass/midhead and have become a mid/treble head.

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #1,930 of 3,348
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
If anyone can share their experiences of SQ change with time (i.e. burn-in), I would be interested in hearing.

We all believe in different phenomena... both my pairs improved for over 250 hours. Copper Cable and velour will also change the presentation. De foaming is also worth a try. God forbid... Amp synergy even ??? :wink:

Not my best or even favourite can but if I could only keep one this would be it.

Enjoy getting to know them.

Best

James

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,931 of 3,348
after some amount of wiggling over the years the right cup of my HD 25 consistently behaved themselves. :)

LOL... you have the Kung fu :)

I find tinkering typically makes matters worse. Maybe my personal magnetic field is not conducive..

Best

James

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #1,932 of 3,348
Quote:
We all believe in different phenomena... both my pairs improved for over 250 hours. Copper Cable and velour will also change the presentation. De foaming is also worth a try. God forbid... Amp synergy even ??? :wink:
Not my best or even favourite can but if I could only keep one this would be it.
Enjoy getting to know them.
Best
James

My original experience was direct from my computer's sound card (Creative / Soundblaster --- generally sounds pretty good) and with some tracks that are admittedly bass-heavy.  Today I spent some time listening to a range of music --- this time through my FIIO E17 DAC/Amp and things are sounding great today.  Really great.  These are definitely keepers.  I look forward to playing with the velour, as well as different amping /EQ'g, etc.  Thanks for your response!

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #1,933 of 3,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to say after  reading through about the first 25 pages of this thread that I'm extremely surprised that there are so many people who still believe that recabling a 1 or 2 meter length cable will somehow change the SQ of a 70 ohm headphone.  Of course, those pages were written in 2007 --- perhaps people have studied up on their electronics and signal theory and are more enlightened here in 2012.  But that's the subject of a different thread entirely (hopefully).

Of course those of us that have had them a while and have electronic qualifications (I have several) realise that you are correct and that changing the cable is a fruitless endeavor.

If you actually hear a difference then you either 'want to' or you need to have your mind re-evaluated.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,934 of 3,348
Quote:
Do you remove the cable a lot?  If you do, you may have loosened the female jack in the left driver.

The cable is detachable, yes, but generally I think that the detachability is just for ease of replacement/repair rather than for you to be able to remove it on a frequent basis.  The smaller pin on each plug is the signal pin, try pushing that pin in more.  You might have to add a little hot glue like I suggested above.

I would suggest tightening the female jacks' tabs for better contact, but when I tried taking mine apart to inspect, I noticed that the voice coil wires go over the jacks' housings before going into them, so I do not want to mess with them for fear of damaging the wires.  I've loosened the female jack in the right side on mine a bit, but I just have to push the signal pin in a bit more to maintain the sound's balance.

No, I never remove the cable. Even if I push the signal pin in more, some instruments (usually bass) are right-panned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back