hd25-1 impressions thread
May 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,876 of 3,348
Quote:
I love the look of the Adidas Originals. I might get them, but are the HD25-1 II headphones really as good as they are advertised? I heard they've been out for like 15 years, hard to believe they're still at the top in their category.

And is it possible to find Adidas Originals brand new for less thatn $250?

Yes.  Keep your eyes peeled, they occasionally drop down to $230, maybe even $220.

If you end up loving them, a recable is recommended to get rid of the nasty crosstalk of the stock cable.

May 20, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #1,877 of 3,348
Is the stock cable that prone to crosstalk? I thought that steel conductors were the usual suspects for bashing because of higher impedance than copper.

May 20, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,878 of 3,348
Isn't the stock cable supposed to be steel-reinforced copper?
Or someone made that up.

Anyway, I suspect that the conductors are poorly insulated.  Just a straight up Mogami recable makes a noticeable difference from stock; comparing the stock cable to my newest, dual-insulated cable makes a somewhat big difference, unlike with most other headphones.  It looks like the cable in the picture, but I added cotton sleeving per channel underneath the nylon braid to separate and insulate the signal wires from each other even more.  No more small soundstage, plus with really good recordings, very 3D.  It begins to feel like a mini HFI2400.

Edit: You know how HD25 sort of squishes/crams everything in the center of the soundstage?  Like it has some kind of crappy crossfeed or something?  I don't get that at all anymore.

May 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #1,880 of 3,348
Nah, Sennheiser official sellers explicitly told me that it's the conductor that's made from steel. However it may be different for the coiled cable because one could use a steel wire to maintain the coiled shape and use copper for conductor wires.

Just tried a quick swap from my HD650 and I didn't find any great difference in sound. HD25-II are not too great for soundstage, in my opinion. They do better than Grado but that's no great feat.

May 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,881 of 3,348
I wouldn't consider HD25 to be all that great either next to a headphone like HD6x0, not that this is relevant in any way.

Edit: I could build for you a duplicate of my cable for you to try.  Not for free, though. 
wink.gif

May 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,882 of 3,348
Hi there - in case you're interested, as an offering that may serve your eyes and ears well, here's how I found the HD 25-1 in relation to the HD 600 and some other headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparing-headphones-sennheisers-hd-800-hd-600-hd-25-1-and-amperior-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-ath-m50s

May 21, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #1,883 of 3,348
Quote:
Hi there - in case you're interested, as an offering that may serve your eyes and ears well, here's how I found the HD 25-1 in relation to the HD 600 and some other headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparing-headphones-sennheisers-hd-800-hd-600-hd-25-1-and-amperior-audeze-lcd-2-rev-2-and-the-ath-m50s

Yeah, a great roundup article right there!

Quote:
I wouldn't consider HD25 to be all that great either next to a headphone like HD6x0, not that this is relevant in any way.

Edit: I could build for you a duplicate of my cable for you to try.  Not for free, though. 
wink.gif

I was talking about just the cable. Other than that you are right- the HD25-II is good on its own but when you put on a nice open mid-fi headphone then you see how congested the HD25-II really sounds.

May 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,884 of 3,348
Yes, it sounds congested, especially in the treble, not that this is relevant either. 
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,885 of 3,348
I'm seriously am about to order these, there's just been one thing that's been really scaring me, and that's the soundstage. I used to own the AT m50, how well does it compare to these soundstage wise?

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,886 of 3,348
Quote:
I'm seriously am about to order these, there's just been one thing that's been really scaring me, and that's the soundstage. I used to own the AT m50, how well does it compare to these soundstage wise?

The soundstage of the HD 25 sounds slightly more congested than that of the M50. They both reveal recordings clearly though. 

May 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,887 of 3,348
Almost every page in this thread says something about HD25's soundstage, lol!
Or repeats the usual.

May 22, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #1,888 of 3,348
the soundstage really so important?haha.... for me,the impact,power,reality of sound and more important is the feel for singer or instrument can perform well~

May 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,889 of 3,348
Just bought my first "real" headphones three days ago, and I opted for the HD-25s based on many hours digging through the forums here on head-fi. I don't possess the many years of experience as most of the posters here, but I will say that these cans are blowing my mind. I had no idea things could sound this good! I'm sure there are better headphones out there, but for someone splitting time between studio monitoring and music-listening on-the-go, I'm beyond impressed. Durability, portability, sound quality, and price were all factors, and I feel like I made a great decision. So, other newbies out there reading this, you will be amazed. 

Thanks to all the kind people out here who take the time to assist the uninitiated. I am loving music in ways today that simply weren't possible three days ago. 
gs1000.gif

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back