hd25-1 impressions thread
Nov 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,651 of 3,350

Quote:
I have them both right now. Sound wise I would not call the HD25-II an upgrade over SR80i- there are certain areas where HD25-II excels (bass qty, more natural voices). SR80i still has the airyness of open headphones and that fun treble. Soundstage wise they are almost the same, maybe Senn is a bit wider but not by much. I got the HD25-II for a closed portable alternative to SR80i and about that I'm 100% satisfied. If you want something different, I'd recommend the HD598. More laid back, has soundstage and better comfort than Grado- the open Sennheiser sound.

Hmm maybe the HD25-II isn't for me then. The HD598 is right in my price range, but I'm looking for something closed, with a bigger soundstage (than the SR80i). The other closed headphone I had in mind was the ATH-M50. Perhaps that would suit my wants/needs better?

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,653 of 3,350
Hey guys,

Quick question, but does anyone have a suggestion for an amp to bring out the soundstage and mids a bit more, preferably for less than $200? I love these headphones, but I'd love to get a bit more out of these two areas -- and this is also about as high on portable audio as I'd be willing to go (can't see myself getting Edition 8s or any other higher end portable headphone).

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #1,654 of 3,350

Quote:
Hey guys,

Quick question, but does anyone have a suggestion for an amp to bring out the soundstage and mids a bit more, preferably for less than $200? I love these headphones, but I'd love to get a bit more out of these two areas -- and this is also about as high on portable audio as I'd be willing to go (can't see myself getting Edition 8s or any other higher end portable headphone).

Thanks!

I just bought a used Leckerton UHA-4 and I think you would love it. I am a trance-addict, but vocals are definitely improved as well. A big difference on the few vocal tracks I listened to this week (DMB's "The Space Between") and my fav vocal trance.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,655 of 3,350

Quote:
I just bought a used Leckerton UHA-4 and I think you would love it. I am a trance-addict, but vocals are definitely improved as well. A big difference on the few vocal tracks I listened to this week (DMB's "The Space Between") and my fav vocal trance.

The UHA-4 looks really good to me -- it is at the top of my price range though, so I was wondering how it would compare to cheaper options from iBasso or Fiio (or even a cMOY for that matter)?

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #1,656 of 3,350
I've got no direct A/B comparison to cmoy's like the JDS, but it was no contest on high-volumes (if memory serves) and zero channel imbalance. I would go with the Fiio E7 if you're looking to stay under $100 as you get a capable USB DAC as well. Be warned that the Fiio's LO amp output is quite a bit less than you will get when in USB-mode.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,657 of 3,350
Sounds pretty convincing -- I'll probably go for it, might have to splurge, but hopefully it'll save me from repeated upgrades (albeit, upgrading audio is half the fun)

Any other suggestions though?

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,658 of 3,350

Quote:
Hmm maybe the HD25-II isn't for me then. The HD598 is right in my price range, but I'm looking for something closed, with a bigger soundstage (than the SR80i). The other closed headphone I had in mind was the ATH-M50. Perhaps that would suit my wants/needs better?

The sr80i is an open headphone, and a really good one at that. You won't find a comparable closed can in the same range.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,659 of 3,350
I have both the HD25 and a modded SR80i and IMO the Sennheiser is a better set of cans in almost every way (speed, clarity, bass, build, soundstage), it's just more versatile. I keep the Grados around for special times when I wanna rock out and shred my brain with guitar, they do have magic, but my ears belong to Sennheiser.

Well the HD25 is twice the price, to be fair. So give it a chance :D It's no Grado, but for some it might be even better than a Grado.
Quote:
The sr80i is an open headphone, and a really good one at that. You won't find a comparable closed can in the same range.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,660 of 3,350

Quote:
I have both the HD25 and a modded SR80i and IMO the Sennheiser is a better set of cans in almost every way (speed, clarity, bass, build, soundstage), it's just more versatile. I keep the Grados around for special times when I wanna rock out and shred my brain with guitar, they do have magic, but my ears belong to Sennheiser.

Well the HD25 is twice the price, to be fair. So give it a chance :D It's no Grado, but for some it might be even better than a Grado.

I totally agree. Senn is more versatile and convenient, but Grado has that little something...

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #1,661 of 3,350

Quote:
I totally agree. Senn is more versatile and convenient, but Grado has that little something...

x2.

Grado/alessandro is amazing. Something about them makes them amazing for rock/metal but then again the senn hd 25 is much better for metal imo.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #1,662 of 3,350
I find HD25-II better on anything that requires bass quantity. For example AIR sounds pretty nice on SR80i because it uses a lot of midrange and string instruments, however HD25-II gives it much needed meatiness while not sacrificing much of the trebble/middrange. Also voices sound a bit more natural on the HD25-II.

Quote:
x2.

Grado/alessandro is amazing. Something about them makes them amazing for rock/metal but then again the senn hd 25 is much better for metal imo.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #1,663 of 3,350

Quote:
I find HD25-II better on anything that requires bass quantity. For example AIR sounds pretty nice on SR80i because it uses a lot of midrange and string instruments, however HD25-II gives it much needed meatiness while not sacrificing much of the trebble/middrange. Also voices sound a bit more natural on the HD25-II.

My only complaint with the hd25 is comfort. After a while they really hurt my ears.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #1,664 of 3,350

Quote:
My only complaint with the hd25 is comfort. After a while they really hurt my ears.

Well, my ears are forged by Grado and they seem to be adapting to the HD25-II clamp. SR80i improved considerably when I bent the headband so it rather relies on the hanging, not on holding on by the clamp. Right now the HD25-II has about 4 consecutive hours on my ears and I can feel them but they don't feel annoying yet. I have the headband fully closed, btw. Haven't really tried the velour pads, pleather seems comfortable enough and I don't want to lose any of that nice low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back