hd 600 disappointment..
May 23, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 50
Neggy said Quote:

Any head-fiers in alberta?

use the search function for "Alberta" and "Canada". then look at the guys who posted. (for starters). hope their PM to E-Mail forwarding is turned on.

May 23, 2003 at 8:37 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

usually listen to my pink floyd cds and alot of mp3s

Ok, drop in The Wall and listen to the kids in the schoolyard at the end of Another Brick in The Wall Pt2, that realism is really spooky...

As far as bass boost is concerned, for kicks I recently measured what the Megabass function on an old Sony D-33 PCDP does, now that's scary. Bass is shelved up by up to 15 dB ('mid' setting) or 20 dB ('high'), starting at about 200-300Hz. That's just crazy. The treble gets boosted (5dB shelf) as well with Megabass on, BTW.

May 23, 2003 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by neggy
yea as i listen to them totally flat without any boost of any kind i am loving the sound, i used to have just a little bass boost and i never realized how much it wrecked the overall sound.

Neggy - an amp will really bring the sound a bit forward and drive those headphones properly. I didn't mind the sound unamped first, but now going back down to unamped makes the HD600's sound distant.

May 23, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Thesrot
He then went to the AKG 501s which I too have had good experience with with no amp. You should check them out also, espcially at their price (should be under $200 if not $150 as I recall).

unamped k501s? for me, 501s have been the cans that improved most as i upgraded my amps. i'm not that big on super impact bass but without an amp the bass roll off was just a little too much for even me. (i listen to mostly vocal jazz, melodic trance, ska and punk)

May 23, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR

As far as bass boost is concerned, for kicks I recently measured what the Megabass function on an old Sony D-33 PCDP does, now that's scary. Bass is shelved up by up to 15 dB ('mid' setting) or 20 dB ('high'), starting at about 200-300Hz. That's just crazy. The treble gets boosted (5dB shelf) as well with Megabass on, BTW.

Please tell me there's a setting above 'high'. Like 'jet engine'.

May 23, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 50
laugh out loud [the abbreviation i refuse to use for some reason]

May 23, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 50
neggy,

Don't feel that you have to like the 600's. They are obviously a good headphone but not for everyone. Give them a good go and if you find you still aren't happy you might want to try something from the Grado, Audio Technica or Beyer lines. The Grado and AT cans will generally work well without an amp but will definately benefit from one as well just maybe not to the degree that the 600's will.

May 23, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 50
I'll echo some of the thoughts posted here. You have NOT heard the HD600s until you've heard them through a good amp/source. Unfortunatly, a soundblaster live will not do justice to the headphones.
frown.gif
Do you have any budget left for a source/amp upgrade? If you want to use your computer as a source, perhaps you could consider the M-Audio Revolution sound card. It is reputed to be quite good. For an amp, you have several options.

In the sub $200 range, you have either a portacorda, a meta42, or an airhead. Out of the three, I'd choose the meta42 and have it customized for you hd600s. Try messaging JMT for an amp quote. In the $300 range, you can choose between the MG Head OTL, a Corda HA-1, or a tricked-out Meta42.

May 23, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Anybody else disappointed with the hd 600's i find the sound too laid back. I have read that you can upgrade the cable and such but I am a student right now and i dont have funds laying around that can go towards upgrading a cable that shouldnt have to be upgraded, and buying a 500 dollar amp. I am leaning towards the grade sr325, would those work well off of a weaker amp compared to the hd 600s? Maybe the hd 600's arent suited for rock music or something?

Didn't read the whole thread sorry. Quick advice-- if you don't like the basic HD600 sound (and there are plenty of warnings here about their "laid back" character), no cable is going to transform them for you. Those expensive cables, IMO are for people who already LOVE the Senns. If you don't, it's throwing good $$ after bad.

Same goes for getting a new amp (which I'm sure people have suggested)-- yes it will help add life to HD600s, but maybe not nearly enough to satisfy you who knows? A new amp may also be a case of throwing more good $$ after bad. Try to audition some other contenders in your price range before you go buy a fancy aftermarket replacement cable or a new amp.

Mark

May 23, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #26 of 50
To get good sound out of them you are going to need a cable upgrade and a high quality dedicated amp. It requires a lot more money than just the price of the HD600. I would reccommend saving your money for the upgrades or going for any headphone in the Grado line.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #27 of 50
I love my HD600s, but they are a laid-back phone. With a very good source and good amplification, their sound does come upfront quite a bit, but if underpowered they tend to sound soft and otherwise unexciting...

May 23, 2003 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 50
I know i dont have to like the senns but its a big downer that i dont like headphones that I paid that much for. Funds are low right now until i get my summer job
cool.gif
I have heard the senns out of a good amp and source at a store called the audio room in calgary, it specializes in hi fi. I loved that sound but it was very expensive, where can i buy AT phones in canada? any ideas? I think theres a grado store in edmonton i want to audition the sr 325s, i think thats a good weekend project
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yea i have read about what jazz does to his senns about removing the foam pads or something but i cant figure it out how to do it without the risk of wrecking them.

May 23, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 50
neggy,

Don't worry about it!!! I feel the same way you do when I use the HD-600s through a soundcard or budget source, such as a stereo and its receiver!

There are two things to remember about these headphones. HD600s are very very sensitive to the source, amp, and cables, and are also by nature "relaxed" and "distance" the mids just a bit. They lack "bite" or "grind" in the high end as well.

I find them too laid back with my soundcard. They are grainy and weird sounding and I feel underpowered.

I believe you were misled: HD-600s are just decent with your kind of setup, but they get the raves from audiophiles that own a powerful amp and incredible source. For example, the headroom blockhead, a multi thousand dollar amp, makes them sound wonderful.

But I do think the other people who have posted are just correct. I'd buy Grados, or Beyerdynamics. I have had good experiences with both for the computer world.

I recommend!:

Grado SR-80
Beyerdynamic 250-80

No amp needed. Very wild sound. You will love them if you find the HD600s too laid back.

Cheers,
Geek

May 23, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #30 of 50
i am gonna buy the grado sr 325. Do you guys think these will need an amp? Or is running them off of a budget receiver gonna produce better sound then the senns? I hope the latter cause lately i am falling asleep listening to music cause it lacks the punch haha
tongue.gif
Also i noticed theres 3 different pads for them on head room do these change the sound or is it all about comfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back