hd 600 disappointment..
May 23, 2003 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

neggy

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody else disappointed with the hd 600's i find the sound too laid back. I have read that you can upgrade the cable and such but I am a student right now and i dont have funds laying around that can go towards upgrading a cable that shouldnt have to be upgraded, and buying a 500 dollar amp. I am leaning towards the grade sr325, would those work well off of a weaker amp compared to the hd 600s? Maybe the hd 600's arent suited for rock music or something?
confused.gif

May 23, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 50
The sr325 would definitely sound better with a weak amp than the hd600's. You need a very powerful amp to get the hd600's to their full potential. Also, if you're into rock, the sr325's are the best rock headphones out there, according to most people here.

May 23, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 50
What MusicLover said. Except sex is also good for depression.

Maybe if you gave your listening habits and dollar amount we could be of more help. You certainly though don't need to spead $500 on an amp.

[EDIT: Okay, I looked at your profile. Now I'm not going to make any comments about America, but yeah, without any amp (even a $50 used DIY), a 600 is not going to sound great by itself. Grados are certainly an option.]

Assuming though you could potentially sell the 600's what is your total price range? I'm sure people here can make recommendations.

May 23, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 50
lol america is good! : Well i do have an amp i have a rca to mini that goes into my soundcard that goes into my sony mini system i used to have an old teac receiver but the static drives me crazy. I have also heard them off of my dads stereo which has a powerful yamaha amp used to drive about 7 speakers at a time throughout the house. The sound was better but not what i was expecting from 500 dollar headphones, thats what they cost me in canada. I auditioned a some kind of tube cd player with a built in headphone jack and it sounded just awesome but i think it costed about 2 grand.

As for my price range its not too high i spent all my money on these phones so i would have to sell them and i know i will lose money considering they cost me about 450 canadian.

I usually listen to my pink floyd cds and alot of mp3s
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

May 23, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 50
The America thing was a joke. A Horse With No Name was a critical bonding experience between my father and I, as it was played, get this, three times on the car radio as we travelled to buy my first bike.

I'll let others offer specific advice, though from trying recently, you're right the 600's can sound great. I was blown away by the soundstage. There's certainly the trade option to get maximum value for your 600's, but before going that route, what can you spend additionally to the couple gold bars you've already dished out (just remember you get the healthcare) to come into their own? Also what soundcard do you use?

May 23, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 50
Right now i use a sound blaster live with kx project drivers, theres very little hiss it sounds preety good to my ears. I am considering trading them just cause its getting on my nerves that grados could sound alot better on my system and i was gonna buy those, but i was looking at headrooms site and they said they were orignally 4 something selling for 270 so i went for the hd 600s. Getting the bargain is not always the best thing..

May 23, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 50
I do believe you need a REAL amp, when you check this forum. LOTS OF PPl like HD600, which include me.

If you can spend around $100, get a META42, that is all you need.
HD600 without amp sound suck, even an A-T EM7 can sound much better then HD600.

May 23, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 50
META 42 is a DIY amp. Lot of ppl in this forum are able to build the META 42 for you, such as JMT. Sometime you can find it in sale/trade. The price is depend on WHAT U parts you need, the price are from $80 to $300.
evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2003 at 6:26 AM Post #10 of 50
seek out some other Canadiens. there might be one near Alberta, although I believe they are mostly in the Toronto or Nova Scotia area. they may be able to affect a swap of some kind. I'm surprised that you didn't just drive to Montana for the headphones, or at least over the border. (I know, Alberta is a BIG providence. just trying to be helpful).

sorry about your experience. that's why many of us keep asking people to attend Meets or mini-Meets. (Not that it may have helped in your case - you'd just go crazy over all the other equipment there).

you might have been better off with a low impedance headphone. if you have a spare receiver laying around, connect your soundcard to the aux inputs and listen to the HD600s that way.

May 23, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
seek out some other Canadiens. there might be one near Alberta, although I believe they are mostly in the Toronto or Nova Scotia area. they may be able to affect a swap of some kind. I'm surprised that you didn't just drive to Montana for the headphones, or at least over the border. (I know, Alberta is a BIG providence. just trying to be helpful).

sorry about your experience. that's why many of us keep asking people to attend Meets or mini-Meets. (Not that it may have helped in your case - you'd just go crazy over all the other equipment there).

you might have been better off with a low impedance headphone. if you have a spare receiver laying around, connect your soundcard to the aux inputs and listen to the HD600s that way.

I think there are also a lot of us Vancouver, BC, I believe.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 50
I also have HD600s and an amp and am happy with them. A friend got the HD600s with no amp and also was not pleased. He then went to the AKG 501s which I too have had good experience with with no amp. You should check them out also, espcially at their price (should be under $200 if not $150 as I recall).

May 23, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 50
thx for the info about the meta when i get some cash i will be investing in that, as for now i turned off all bass boosting and the headphones have seemed to open up its alot better. I cant believe i had the bass boost on, damn friends and their mid bass..
rolleyes.gif
i am purist from now on. Any head-fiers in alberta?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2003 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 50
Give them some time, I found the sound to improve considerably in the first days. Like you already found out, they also need a good amp to really shine (and the 'powerful' yamaha very probably isn't one, the quality of the headphone outputs on such units usually isn't that great). They do lack the somewhat bright upper range of some other 'phones, though, and for certain tastes and types of music they could be perceived as laid back. IMHO they're just very natural, their balance comes very close to what the real thing (i.e. live&unamplified) sounds like...

May 23, 2003 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 50
yea as i listen to them totally flat without any boost of any kind i am loving the sound, i used to have just a little bass boost and i never realized how much it wrecked the overall sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back