HD 590 sux!
Nov 27, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #31 of 48
Hi Lazyiesat,

I've never listened to both the Triport and the HD590 [which I'm tempted to get, but keep holding off...how good are they really?], but I can get the HD590 for ~C$260 [does anyone know how much that is in US funds?]...the triports cost C$199.

..in my latest headphone purchase, I decided to go for the Ultrasone HFI-550 DJ1, which was the same price as the triports, but I managed to get them for C$25 cheaper..

anyway, I don't know whether you can compare the Triports and the HD590, one being closed and the other open, with different impedences and sensitivity...

one thing to keep in mind is that a person gets use to the sound of his headphones, and that a new pair that he might buy would sound different, or awkward....this certainly happened for me.....I listened to my pair of Sony EX51's and it was horrible at first, with really boomy bass and sharp, irritating, highs, but got used to it within an hour, but then when I tried using my other headphones [ie. HFI-550, SR80, etc] they all sounded really dull and lifeless...after a while, my ears got used to my other headphones, and now that I've got my PX200's back, after lending them to a friend, I'm not exactly sure how much I'll use those ex51's [unfortunately, my PX200s now smell like smoked cigars
frown.gif
]

anyway, I think it's best that you take the time to get to know your two headphones very well before making a comparison...I haven't found the confidence to write an HFI-550 DJ1 review yet

...you already know the Triports very well, so give the HD590 some time...it's a headphone meant for home use, so maybe it's best to use the Triports on the go, and use the HD590 at home with your computer, or CD player, home theatre, etc...

I don't think there's anything wrong with liking Triports, but they kind of expensive for what they are...there's also that issue of a headphone that's 'fun' to listen to and one that's purely audiophile [for example, some people enjoy Koss portapros to the more accurate Sony 7506/V6]...the same might be in your case with the Triports and the HD590s....also remember that everyone has different tastes....

anyway, sorry for taking up all this space...I hope you [and others] found at least some of my writing useful, and that your purchases work out for you...

Nov 27, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Lazyiesat
To start with, I'm no audiophile geeks. I know nothing about what is good mid, good high, good bass.
And I dont(not planning to) have $1,500+ stereo equipments/upgrades beside my headphone.

I have used triport and QC1 for a couple of years now. After reading this board, I found that either some of you bashing on how expensive is Bose, or saying how good is Bose quality with a huge BUT.

Then couple days back, I decide to exchange my QC1 for HD590.

I received my 590 abt 3 days ago, got excited and convinced on how this new rig will blast away the triport and QC1.

Opened the box and I saw the ugliest looking, bulkiest headphone I've ever buy. My heart start to fell a little after seeing this all plastic made headphone, but I eager to try it anyway.

Long story short, I compare my 1yr triport($149) with my new 590($230) on an Ipod.

I was totally disappointed on 590. I can't hear any big difference, It was a total shocked!
but I keep convincing myself on how good is 590 according to these audiophile geeks on this forum. but then again 590 fail on me.

As a comparison:
1. My 590 foam pad is much much BULKIER than my slim LEATHER Tripod pad.
2. Why on earth you call this a headphone when the person next to you can hear as loud as what you hear inside the rig. Instead, why dont you get a huge speaker!
3. I've seen some of you saying that triport made out of a cheap plastic?
Well at least triport has some metal on its headband compare to this ALL plastic 590 band!
4. 590 with deep bass? Yeah right! my triport has a deeper bass than this 590.
5. I watch this Terminator3 DVD with 590, after 30 min.. my ear HURTS!! this never happens ever! with triport nor QC1.
6. Can't believe on how HUGE this thing is, instead I can just get a helmet! I'm trying to listen to a MUSIC, not doing some experiment on my brain.
7. The only thing I like about 590 is the 1 detachable cord. THAT'S IT for Now.

I expect too much on how good is 590. When the fact that I hear no differences, whatsoever than my triport.

Bottom line. I see no improvement from my purchase, that's what piss me off the most.

IMHO 590 is a total crap for the money. for $230, I can get myself triport with some change.

I was thinking about getting a QC2, after returning this 590.

Obviously I'm a NEWBIE!
Convince me if I'm all wrong or at least tell me that i have a defective unit, which I really hope I am...before I return this UGLY looking 590.

Thanks for reading.
mad.gif

Let them break in.

My HD590s sounded much better than my old headphones when I first got them, but after 40 hours of break in- they sounded much better.. and after 100 hours... better still.

They need a lot of burn in. I burned it in with some classical music and heavy metal..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #34 of 48
Has anyone hear been able to compare different pairs of 590's side by side. The reason I ask is that sometimes I see comments about them that seem so far from my own experience with them that it is almost hard to beieve and, so, I can't help wonder that there maybe significant differences between different units. However, this may be true of different people's reaction to other models as well.

Anyhow, let them break in. All headphones can probably use a break-in period but the 590's seem to absolutely require one.

Best
Brian

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #35 of 48
Just return the HD-590 and get a pair of HD-580s. If they don't kill the Bose Triports, you are deaf!
580smile.gif

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #36 of 48
get the 580s the 590's is totally inferior to it in both sound and build quality ....

Nov 29, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #37 of 48
The idea that the 590 is "totally inferior" to the 580 is ridiculous and for the record many people, including me, prefer them over the the 580 or 600. I have owned both and preferred the 590 over the 600 enough to sell the 600. Even at that I didn't find the differences to be large enough to merit a comment like "totally inferior". The 580's are older technology and they sound like it but even though I prefer the 590's I still would'nt make claim like that.

Best
Brian

Nov 29, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
The idea that the 590 is "totally inferior" to the 580 is ridiculous and for the record many people, including me, prefer them over the the 580 or 600. I have owned both and preferred the 590 over the 600 enough to sell the 600.

Well, you buy Lazyiesat's 590 then (or his Bose Triports, so he can get 580s to compare to the 590s
evil_smiley.gif
).

Nov 29, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by loveheadphones
you know, i have to say, I think Bose Quiet Comforts and Triports are probably the comfiest phones I've put on.

The you'ven't put on the A-T A900
biggrin.gif

That thing is so light and pillowy it's hardly there at all.

The DT770's bass will indeed take a sledgehammer to the Triports, leaving a trail of crumbled plastic and twisted metal
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #42 of 48
Ok, I burn it for at least 100hrs....I think

It does sounds a little clear, not dull like it was.
Now, I can hear the difference between 590 and my triport
Although not that much.
The 590 give more definition to surrounding, I can hear more details than my triport.

But the fact that its an open headphone, so still kinda bother me. I should read more before jump with 590.
Oh well, some says some of the best rigs are open.....so I think I'll stick with it and in addition I'm getting Etys4P to avoid my roomate complaints(yeah, I live in a cemetary, gotta be super quiet).

Btw, I'm buying this Yamaha AP-U70
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/idx_cavit.asp

I'll test 590 with it and see what happened.
I know its not the most expensive receivers, but still better than my IPOD or my Laptop sound card

Dec 10, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #43 of 48
You should buy the headphone that meets your needs. If you need isolation, the HD590 is not going to cut it. You should consider closed headphones.

Also, if you don't like the HD590 for any strong compelling opinion, just return them. Maybe you need to do more research in figuring out what type of sound you are looking for. For example, some people like warm headphones while other people like analytical headphones. Probably the best way to figure out what type of sound you are looking for is to audition various types of heapdones.

As for the plastic construction, most headphones today are made out of plastic or plastic-like materials. Plastics keep the weight of the headphone light and comfortable.

Dec 10, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #44 of 48
After that initial post, I was sure that the member who started the thread was someone from Bose marketing, giving their headphone products a plug and trying to discredit a respected headphone company's respected headphone...

Bose Marketing.... They are among us....
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 9:37 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Lazyiesat
Ok, I burn it for at least 100hrs....I think

It does sounds a little clear, not dull like it was.
Now, I can hear the difference between 590 and my triport
Although not that much.
The 590 give more definition to surrounding, I can hear more details than my triport.

But the fact that its an open headphone, so still kinda bother me. I should read more before jump with 590.
Oh well, some says some of the best rigs are open.....so I think I'll stick with it and in addition I'm getting Etys4P to avoid my roomate complaints(yeah, I live in a cemetary, gotta be super quiet).

Btw, I'm buying this Yamaha AP-U70
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/idx_cavit.asp

I'll test 590 with it and see what happened.
I know its not the most expensive receivers, but still better than my IPOD or my Laptop sound card

May I say that you'd likely be better off with a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or Audiophile USB.

Also, those are the differences that you are supposed to hear. You will hear more as you improve your source and amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back