HD 590 sux!
Nov 27, 2003 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Lazyiesat

New Head-Fier
To start with, I'm no audiophile geeks. I know nothing about what is good mid, good high, good bass.
And I dont(not planning to) have $1,500+ stereo equipments/upgrades beside my headphone.

I have used triport and QC1 for a couple of years now. After reading this board, I found that either some of you bashing on how expensive is Bose, or saying how good is Bose quality with a huge BUT.

Then couple days back, I decide to exchange my QC1 for HD590.

I received my 590 abt 3 days ago, got excited and convinced on how this new rig will blast away the triport and QC1.

Opened the box and I saw the ugliest looking, bulkiest headphone I've ever buy. My heart start to fell a little after seeing this all plastic made headphone, but I eager to try it anyway.

Long story short, I compare my 1yr triport($149) with my new 590($230) on an Ipod.

I was totally disappointed on 590. I can't hear any big difference, It was a total shocked!
but I keep convincing myself on how good is 590 according to these audiophile geeks on this forum. but then again 590 fail on me.

As a comparison:
1. My 590 foam pad is much much BULKIER than my slim LEATHER Tripod pad.
2. Why on earth you call this a headphone when the person next to you can hear as loud as what you hear inside the rig. Instead, why dont you get a huge speaker!
3. I've seen some of you saying that triport made out of a cheap plastic?
Well at least triport has some metal on its headband compare to this ALL plastic 590 band!
4. 590 with deep bass? Yeah right! my triport has a deeper bass than this 590.
5. I watch this Terminator3 DVD with 590, after 30 min.. my ear HURTS!! this never happens ever! with triport nor QC1.
6. Can't believe on how HUGE this thing is, instead I can just get a helmet! I'm trying to listen to a MUSIC, not doing some experiment on my brain.
7. The only thing I like about 590 is the 1 detachable cord. THAT'S IT for Now.

I expect too much on how good is 590. When the fact that I hear no differences, whatsoever than my triport.

Bottom line. I see no improvement from my purchase, that's what piss me off the most.

IMHO 590 is a total crap for the money. for $230, I can get myself triport with some change.

I was thinking about getting a QC2, after returning this 590.

Obviously I'm a NEWBIE!
Convince me if I'm all wrong or at least tell me that i have a defective unit, which I really hope I am...before I return this UGLY looking 590.

Thanks for reading.
mad.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 48
Based on how poor most say the triport sounds, I find it hard to believe that the H590 could not sound any better. Even though the pair I had sounded much worse than Jasper994's pair, it still sounded better than anything I had ever heard before. Are you sure you don't have a defetive pair? Maybe you should return them for another pair. As far as the fit/finish, that is more a matter of taste, but I can see why one would be annoyed by the plasticiness of the H590 for what it costs. If you didn't want an open can, then why did you buy one?
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 48
1) If you like the Triports, then keep them. Sounds like you may be in the one situation where they seem like a deal!
2) I'm hoping you live somewhere besides the U.S., 'cause if not you got ripped on the Senns price.
3) Turn the negative into a postive. Maybe the Senns will help towards better film watching. Try the experiment with a decent film.

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 48
Lazyeasat, I've tried both headphones. YES, the Triport might sound better out of an Ipod because they have lower impedance (30 ohms) and the Ipod is designed to drive 30 ohms headphones. In other words they sound way LOUDER. On the other hand, even though they can drive the Senns, they fail driving them PROPERLY=poor bass and gain.
Using a better source (cd player) and an amp, even out of a receiver's jack, the Senns blow the Boses out of the water.
The Triport's sound is more like a conventionl pair of headphones, the Senns being OPEN allow the music to breath and sound natural without the resonances related to close headphones.
Listen how wider is soundstage compaed to the Triports and YES, the bass is a lot better, more natural, tighter and not as bloated and colored as the Triports.
The Senns are not portable, they are audiophile and they are made to be used in silent environments. IT COULD SOUND ODD, BUT THE BEST HEADPHONES IN THE WORLD ARE OPEN.

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 48
This sounds like a rant without reason...

You should have known the following :-
-----------------------------------------------

1] HD-590's costs only $150 - $180 in USA
2] HD-590's need to be used for at least 20 hours before the sound mellows down a little
3] HD-590's are OPEN headphone so others will obviously hear the noise
4] HD-590's are decent headphones that BLOW the QC's to hell and back again...
5] HD-590's are by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever used (although I checked them out and bought a HD-580 instead)

Methinks someone hasnt done enough reading and research before making a purchase...not our fault and not sennheisers fault either...

And you got RIPPED OFF BIG TIME on the price...

Cheers!!

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 48
What's with the price?

I don't really care about its tag when it does what it suppose to do, like blown off my QC1 and Triport to Hell and Back.

Besides, you see me buying the overpriced Boses right?

Btw Thanks for the reminder about using it for 20hrs+ to let it breaks etc...

Let see if it works better after that. In the mean time I still think it sux.

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Lazyiesat
Btw Thanks for the reminder about using it for 20hrs+ to let it breaks etc...

Let see if it works better after that. In the mean time I still think it sux.

Simple... just return it if it doesn't meet your needs after burn-in, and stop complaining.

If you get the Bose QC2 with all the other good high-end headphones out there, then... well, sorry for your wallet, your ears and your common sense. But it's your money, of course... waste it any way you please. I wouldn't brag about owning any Bose headphones around here though (unless it's purely for noise cancellation), unless you really want to get laughed at for throwing money into the fire.

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 48
Make sure to burn them in good with bass heavy music and then do a comparison in a quiet environment perferably with better equipment than a iPod (Something else to consider here, the 590's are pretty revealing... if the mp3's you're listening to are bad the 590's will sound bad. Try ripping a CD to wav or at least 256kbps or greater mp3 and putting that on the iPod at least for comparison). To really hear what they're like you really should burn in for at least 100 hours (50 minimum). When you do your comparison try serveral types of music and a couple different moives. While I'm confident that the 590's will destroy the Bose headphones with proper burn-in in every category and by any measure, I really think that when you sit down to listen you should approach the situation with an open mind. Listen for the differences, pick them apart spend time switching back and forth and then some time with one then the other. If you give it a couple of days I'd be very suprised to find that you didn't change your mind. Also realize that you did buy an open can so they will leak sound both in and out. If you would rather have a closed can, do some research for one that will fit your needs. I'd give the 590's another chance though.

Nov 27, 2003 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 48
It is your money and your ears. You go with the headphones that you like the most. Don't let anyone intimidate you into thinking that your sense of aesthetic judgement is any way flawed.

Nov 27, 2003 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 48
Agreed, I really just think you should give them a fair trial before you make that decision. If you don't (and while ignorance is often blissful) you may really miss out.

Nov 27, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 48
Well, to feed the fire with more gasoline, I'm not a big fan of the HD 590. I had owned a pair, and though I liked it at first, it (literally) grew old on me quickly. It sounded incoherent, a bit overbright and a bit murky all at once. Maybe it's my particular pair that was like that.

And the Bose TriPort? Well, I wasn't impressed at all with that 'phone. It took only a three-minute audition to dismiss it. To my ears, it isn't worth even half of the $150 price tag. I've found plenty of $50 headphones that sound better than the TriPorts.

If you can't tell much difference, then maybe it's time to fuggeddabout this whole thing, and simply buy an under-$10 pair of crappy Sony (or some lesser brand like Coby) headphones.

Nov 27, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 48
I CAN'T believe you are driving the HD590 with your iPod...

It's the same as saying the Sonus Faber speakers suck on the Aiwa mini system.

Audiophile quality equipment should sound poor on poor system. That's what make them truly fine equipment. There are guys out there who are SO MUCH used to sound coloration and bloat boomy bass that they cannot really appreciate the refinement of nicer equipment.

It's sometimes impossible to recommend anything really good to certain people. They will not and they cannot appreciate the good in it. They just don't get it.

Nov 27, 2003 at 12:11 PM Post #15 of 48
anyone compare a triport to a 497? those only run 47bux on amazon right now, and theres a 5 dollar rebate :p

mines sitting in a post office not being delivered on thanksgiving as we speak
frown.gif

i've heard a lot about the triports breaking easily in the headband area, they do look flimsy.

i'm a total n00b, but i've learned enough from reading these forums and other sites to know that the 590's are open. you really can't bag on something for being what it is, its specified as open, just as closed as specified as closed. its not a design defect. its made that way for better sound at the sacrifice of not being able to use it in public places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back