Hawaii Head-Fi Meet Impressions (Summer 2004)
Aug 13, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
I don't know what op amps Sultan had on his PPA but I had AD8620's (I think? something like that, well the number that is) on my META42. I tried to listen to differences between the PPA and Maxed out META42 and it was pretty hard to hear any. I felt the soundstage, using the HD650, was wider with the PPA than the META42. I also felt that the PPA had more of a boost on the low-end than the META42 (thanks to the bass boost switch. without the bass boost switched on the PPA seems to have less of a punctuated low-end than the META42.)

Other than that I really couldn't dig out more differences between the two amps.

Cool thanks for the impressions! I guess it's not fair to ask how the D-777 stacked up to the Meridian
biggrin.gif
but I know it improves on the sound from my Ipod. Considering that I'll probably be listening to the MS-2 mostly, a narrower soundstage is not going to make much difference. Hmm, maybe a Pimeta is the way to go, considering my finances...thanks!

Aug 14, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #17 of 31
On the whole, I must say that this meet was very informative for me. For one, I am definitely more of a senn fan than a grado fan. On that note, I want to add that I share the same opinion as davidmiya, in that it was rather difficult to differentiate the different senn models. When I first went to the meet, I was expecting the 650 and 595 to absolutely crush my 590s. Yes the other two phones are better (just like david's meridian is better than my NAD), but I did not think the improvements were overwhelmingly significant. Granted, I probably don't have a "golden ear" like some of the other headfiers here, but the differences between the various phones are largely exaggerated IMO. Knowing now what lies on the other side of the fence, I can honestly say that I am satisfied with my setup. Anyway, take it for what its worth. Its only one man's opinion.

To jahn, my ppa also uses the AD opamps (I have a set of burr browns at home but haven't bothered swapping them with the AD's). For what its worth, here are my suggestions. Even though I did not listen to refault's meta, but I would steer you towards buying something like that (or even that pimeta that you mentioned) rather than a ppa. The dt770s (mine are the 250 ohm models btw) are not the most refined headphone on the block. As such, they probably do not benefit all that much when used with the ppa. To me, as long as you have a decent amp with sufficient voltage, it should be fine with most mid level phones (that's where I would categorize those beyers). As for the op amps, I would recommend going with the burr brown. Now my disclaimer is that I have not heard them and impression about its sonic characteristics are completely based on what others have said. In other words, its pretty much hearsay. Also, it is my understanding that the 80 ohm version is more balanced than the 250 ohm model. Anyway, with my 770s, the midrange is recessed and the highs are quite bright. The ADs are supposedly a more detailed and aggressive sounding opamp, which might further the imbalance of the 770. The burr browns apparently are a warmer, but less detailed opamp. As such, it might provide a better combination with the 770s. That's just my $.02

Aug 15, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #18 of 31
Thanks for the thoughtful response sultan. 637s sound good for op amps then, in a pimeta, perhaps even in a serpac case so it's still portable, not transportable...thanks!

Aug 15, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Thanks for the thoughtful response sultan. 637s sound good for op amps then, in a pimeta, perhaps even in a serpac case so it's still portable, not transportable...thanks!

No prob and good luck with the purchase. Worse comes worse, you can just pick up the other opamps and just swap them to see what works for you.

Aug 21, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Lots of nice gear you guys have there!

How is the Meridian 588? How is it compared to the Bel Canto 2?

I have to confess, I don't have the golden ears either.

The Bel Canto DAC2 extracts more or less the same amount of detail as the 588. Though, I never got over that slight sense of sibilance, grain, and over-aggressiveness. The Meridian 588 is liquid smooth, almost vinyl-like. All in all, my Modwright-modded Pioneer DV-47Ai + DAC2 combo cost the same as a used Meridian 588.

Oh, and you don't exactly need golden ears to hear the difference. However, you will need Etymotics or Stax phones to appreciate the difference.

Aug 21, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidmiya
The Bel Canto DAC2 extracts more or less the same amount of detail as the 588. Though, I never got over that slight sense of sibilance, grain, and over-aggressiveness. The Meridian 588 is liquid smooth, almost vinyl-like. All in all, my Modwright-modded Pioneer DV-47Ai + DAC2 combo cost the same as a used Meridian 588.

Oh, and you don't exactly need golden ears to hear the difference. However, you will need Etymotics or Stax phones to appreciate the difference.

Iron Dreamer said that modded EMU was about as good as 588,and that Benchmark was on a whole different level.So,if you and him are both right,then Benchamark is way better than more expansive Bel Canto DAC 2?

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 31
Modded EMU equal to a Meridian 588? How was that comparison made? Some brief listening sessions during a meet?

Meaningful comparisons can only be made when one has lived with that gear for sometime and has gotten to know that gear.

Aug 22, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Modded EMU equal to a Meridian 588? How was that comparison made? Some brief listening sessions during a meet?

Meaningful comparisons can only be made when one has lived with that gear for sometime and has gotten to know that gear.

I'll give you that much, however you can still make basic comparisons, and nothing about the 588 sounded like it was in a different class from the EMU, the way the DP85 and ECD1 at that meet did. Those were clearly superior souces, as I feel the DAC1 is.

On a side note, I really hope you can find what you're looking for, you've been through so much in such a short time, it will really be nice when you find "it."

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I'll give you that much, however you can still make basic comparisons, and nothing about the 588 sounded like it was in a different class from the EMU, the way the DP85 and ECD1 at that meet did. Those were clearly superior souces, as I feel the DAC1 is.

On a side note, I really hope you can find what you're looking for, you've been through so much in such a short time, it will really be nice when you find "it."

If you're using any other dynamic phones other than the R10 and Etymotics, most sources tend to sound alike. To tell you the truth, it sometimes takes me a while to figure the differenece between the Meridian 588 and other mid-end sources when using stuff like Sennheisers. Though, I will give everyone this much, vinyl-done-right IS in a different class altogether
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

If you're using any other dynamic phones other than the R10 and Etymotics, most sources tend to sound alike.

Perhaps to you, but I certainly don't think this is the case. Hell, if I did, why would I own a $1000 DAC, I'd just get by with my cute little $25 Chaintech card.

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

If you're using any other dynamic phones other than the R10 and Etymotics, most sources tend to sound alike. To tell you the truth, it sometimes takes me a while to figure the differenece between the Meridian 588 and other mid-end sources when using stuff like Sennheisers.

Have you tried to A/B sources "on the fly" using familiar music? What this entials is playing 2 identical CD's on the two sources while running them into the same amp with the same cables connceted to each source. It works well with the Ray Samuels "Stealth" because there are 4 inputs. You really only need 2 inputs, but 3 would be preferable so that you can leave the middle input with nothing connected to it, thus eliminating the possibility of "cross talk" (or whatever the correct term is to describe it). When doing this sort of comparison, have someone else do the switching such that you don't know which source is playing (for instance, they could switch from input 1 to the silent input 2, and then right back to input 1, and you would not know this unless your ears told you so).

Using this approach, I'm able to tell sources apart very easily, even if they are more or less of the same level of quality. At a minimum, I can say "The bass is more extended on that one" or "The cymbols are more detailed on that one" and pretty much get it right every time (that is, the answers I'm giving are consistent from trial to trial). I may or may not be able to decide which source I like better, but I can definitely tell them apart. It's a little more difficult to do with a speaker system because you lose some of the details that headphones provide, and I suppose the same would be true of very poor headphones. But I've found the Senn HD600, and espcially the HD650, to be fairly source sensitive, FWIW. You should give this sort of thing a try if have not already done so.

Aug 22, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer

In this hobby there never is going to be an "it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back