Have you heard these before?
Oct 12, 2007 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joeq70

1000+ Head-Fier
I scoured ebay this week to see if there were any interesting headphones up for auction and came across these. First, I doubt they sound as pretty as they look, but have any of you ever actually heard a pair? Second, someone paid waaay too much money for them. I searched these forums for info on the headphones, and it seems someone came across those headphones in a pawn shop for $50. Third, I remember seeing a music video where someone was wearing them. I can't remember the artist or song, though. Refresh my memory if any of you know.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 10
Ah my bad, I misread your post. I thought you said you had got them for $50.

I suspect they will sound, to coin a phrase I'd like to popularise, like a cardboard fart.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 10
Holy crap, $350 for futuras? there's no WAY they sound good.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 10
The song is Antiloop - In My Mind and it's pretty boring.

The headphones were made by an anonymous japanese manufacturer that made a lot of huge headphones and they've been sold as "luxus" "futura 8/613" "Sound Dynamic MD-2STV" "Solar HD-813" and various permutations of those names.

There are at least two distinct versions as one version has tapered cups and the other does not.

As has been stated by myself and others various times, they have an 8 ohm impedance and thus almost certainly have giant paper cone drivers that sound awful compared to a modern mylar dome.

If you simply have to wear that much chrome, but want them to sound good, I bet you could convince Larry to transplant some DT-770 drivers into them
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 10
I have some 8 ohm headphone drivers that aren't paper. Dunno what they originally came out of though, and the one that worked sounded not unlike an Auratone 5C.
plainface.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, there was a smallish 8-ohm mylar cone driver that pretty much every headphone manufacturer in the world (except for maybe Koss and Sennheiser) used in at least one model -- but you wouldn't find it in coconuts like these.

My Stanton Dynaphase 40's had 80mm paper cones in 'em.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Nope! Never seen, and hence never heard those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back