Have you ever used IEMs while driving?
Jan 25, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 47
i use my hd 25-1's while biking, all the time. i am very concious of the danger, but i still get caught off-guard from time to time

i once used them to attenuate the noise while driving, but without any music on. it still felt very weird

nowadays i keep the stereo down whilst driving, it's bad for my ears to turn it up anyway

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #17 of 47
Not a good idea unless you have a death wish for yourself, or worse yet, for someone else.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 47
Yes, everyday when I went home for school for lunch my senior year in high school. I lived in a place where the pop. was 513 people, I could drive everywhere with my eyes closed, also the speed limit is 25mph in town and almost non-exsistant traffic.
icon10.gif

Now I'm in college and I wouldnt even think about it, to much traffic.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 47
No. Come to think of it, doing so is probably illegal.

-Angler
etysmile.gif
<= not driving right now

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Frankly, using cell phones while driving constitutes a bigger risk.

I think this is true.

Now, who talks on the phone with iem's plugged into their phone while driving with the windows down, stereo blasting, eating, putting on make-up, reading directions and a food-stained map with a pet free inside the car?

You KNOW they're out there...

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 47
I used to wear them driving golf carts all last summer...

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 47
Funny, the only decent headphones I've seen being worn in public in the last year were a pair of KSC-75's worn by the guy driving the van that almost hit me yesterday.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #26 of 47
I use iems often on the bike(not a big city, +/- 80000) but never while driving a car. I have the idea that with the iems in I'm more carefull in the traffic then when wearing nothing(audiorelated of course
wink.gif
)

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #27 of 47
Never. My car audio is good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #28 of 47
[size=small]All the time when driving.[/size]

Check my equipment listening below.

The Etymotic 4s makes for totally silent listening - no road or car noise.

The BLAudio LP-1 is the smoothest and sweetest high end amp, battery powered (50 hours of use), and cures the slight harshness that the Etymotic 4S sometimes shows, while bringing out all the detail and impact of the signal from the very clean line outs from the iRiver IMP PCDP.

Unsafe?

Rubbish.

I have been doing it for over 10 years and over 150,000 miles.

No more dangerous than listening to a good car speaker system,which also drowns out external noise from outside the car.

I drive with my eyes open and ears closed - open ears add nothing to open eyes in driving. Visual vigilance is what you need - not auditory vigilance - in driving.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #29 of 47

Lots of people do all kinds of unsafe and/or unhealthy things and "get away with it" for the longest times, sometimes their whole lives. They happen to beat the odds.

Where I live, driving with your ears "covered" is against the law:
"A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears" (CA Vehicle Code Section 27400).

This is a law that for all appearances is very rarely enforced, as I see people driving and bicycling wearing earphones all the time. But I think the law exists for very good reasons, and I obey it, always

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Unsafe?

Rubbish.

No more dangerous than listening to a good car speaker system,which also drowns out external noise from outside the car.

I drive with my eyes open and ears closed - open ears add nothing to open eyes in driving. Visual vigilance is what you need - not auditory vigilance - in driving.

Agree 100%. Interacting with your DAP while driving is dangerous, not listening to it with IEMs. Operating a motor vehicle is an almost 100% visual activity. If it weren't then the deaf wouldn't be issued driver's licenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back