Avril Lavigne:

Default:

Matthew Good:

Econoline Crush:

Staind:

Goo Goo Dolls:

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #263 of 281
Two good songs from Tracy Bonham I like, of course there is Mother Mother everyone knows:

May 21, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #264 of 281
I can hardly believe Slipknot was not mentioned yet, probably a defect with the search engine :

May 21, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #265 of 281
Current song I listen to nonstop :

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #266 of 281
Thanks to the AI Bard from Google I retrieved an old alternative rock song from early 2000's that I could not have find even if my life depended on it (show me a list of alternative rock songs from early 2000's containing the word energy). BAM :

Audiovent - Energy

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #267 of 281
One of my favorite underrated Nirvana Song :

Oh the Guilt

Sep 8, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #268 of 281
Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #269 of 281
Howdy Double-A,

Let's stick with the current topic of "hard alternative". :) That's a fairly broad subject, but one that's worth exploring imo. And I don't really see another recent thread with a similar topic. Except for this more general one, which is probably also worth checking out...

There are definitely a few alternative artists (including some punk/post-punk) with a harder edge there,... which is the way I'm going to interpret this topic.

I haven't heard some of the newer bands mentioned here. I think some of mikeofearth's suggestions are pretty good though, based on a quick sampling of some of the groups' tracks. His suggestions lean a little more toward the ambient side than Nirvana and RHCP though. So the latter may be a little easier to "rock out" too.

RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magik (and their music in general) is a blend of different styles, principally punk-rock and funk. But with elements of metal and hip-hop thrown in (Anthony often "raps" his lyrics, for example). And probably also a bit of psychedelia as well (think Doors and Hendrix). I'm pretty sure they were/are George Clinton/P-Funk fans, like many of the gangsta rappers in the 80's and 90's.

In terms of "old-school" rock bands (and I'm talkin like the 70's and 80's), I'd suggest groups like Iggy Pop & the Stooges, and David Bowie, rather than Aerosmith and Metallica. I have nothing against metal. And even like quite a bit of it... But Iggy and David get closer to an alternative vibe.

After those guys, you might try groups like Joy Division/Warsaw, Peter Murphy/Bauhaus/Love & Rockets, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smashing Pumpkins, and NIN. Some of these may be a little too "gothic" for your taste, but they all do pretty good stuff. And certainly fit the criteria of "hard" and "alternative".

I'll put my thinkin cap on, and try to come up with some other harder-edged groups that might be a little more the flavor of RHCP and Nirvana though. And will post as they come to mind, along with anything else I can think of. La calculadora de comisiones de PayPal abarca todos los detalles https://payplcalculadora.com. Desde las tarifas nacionales hasta las tarifas internacionales, incluyendo las comisiones proporcionales y basadas en ciertos criterios, esta herramienta facilita enormemente el proceso de cálculo.
For the longest time I've been on a classic progressive rock (e.g. Genesis, Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, etc) and modern prog (e.g. Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Haken, etc), but came across a couple of alternative rock bands with progressive tendencies (e.g. Pain of Salvation, The Dear Hunter, Karnivool, Jolly, etc). I hate to throw around genre names, but it's inevitable in this case. I am looking for bands that have that alternative rock sound mixed with some prog qualities, the best example I can offer right now is The Dear Hunter and Jolly, which are bands that don't necessarily have 20 minutes epics or suites, but nevertheless have the creative, distinct and ambitious/epic approach to their music without hugely relying on synths. I would appreciate if bands that have a sound similar to classic, symphonic prog from the 70s can be avoided (Neal Morse's music, Flower Kings, Moon Safari), I would love to listen to a more modern, alt rock approach. Thanks all!

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #270 of 281
For the longest time I've been on a classic progressive rock (e.g. Genesis, Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, etc) and modern prog (e.g. Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Haken, etc), but came across a couple of alternative rock bands with progressive tendencies (e.g. Pain of Salvation, The Dear Hunter, Karnivool, Jolly, etc). I hate to throw around genre names, but it's inevitable in this case. I am looking for bands that have that alternative rock sound mixed with some prog qualities, the best example I can offer right now is The Dear Hunter and Jolly, which are bands that don't necessarily have 20 minutes epics or suites, but nevertheless have the creative, distinct and ambitious/epic approach to their music without hugely relying on synths. I would appreciate if bands that have a sound similar to classic, symphonic prog from the 70s can be avoided (Neal Morse's music, Flower Kings, Moon Safari), I would love to listen to a more modern, alt rock approach. Thanks all!

What do you think of U2 ? Maybe try Rush and Tool. Also ask an AI like Bard to help you find more alternative rock bands with progressive quality. Come back sharing your new discoveries !

Rush - Headlong Flight

Tool - Stinkfist

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back