Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 15, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #1,411 of 4,588
I'm surprised it would show up without power. Source lights on the front dark?

Yep. I'm hoping it's just the wallwart but I won't be able to tell for sure until I get a replacement in. 

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,413 of 4,588
I'm surprised it would show up without power. Source lights on the front dark?

The USB sections are powered by USB, even the Yggi is this way. The DAC is what's powered by AC line power. At least that's my understanding.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #1,414 of 4,588

The USB sections are powered by USB, even the Yggi is this way. The DAC is what's powered by AC line power. At least that's my understanding.

I think the most recent versions of the modi uber are self powered (don't show up when the DAC is not powered). Not sure about the Modi MB.

Oct 16, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,416 of 4,588
  I think the most recent versions of the modi uber are self powered (don't show up when the DAC is not powered). Not sure about the Modi MB.

This is correct. The Modi 2 Uber with the 4490 chipset is self-powered. And the Modi Multibit is not - the USB "receiver" is powered from the USB source, just like the earlier Modi 2 Uber and all other Schiit DACs.

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,418 of 4,588
This is kind of weird for a few reasons. I've never heard the emotiva pieces, but am very familiar with the others, and the hd650s and bottlehead are among the least likely components to come across as too forward or sharp (fatiguing, maybe? Just trying to understand what you are hearing.) Both are commonly thought of as pretty smooth and laid back, especially the hd650. It is possible that the speakers will get better with time, but that kind of change is usually pretty subtle/incremental, whereas it sounds like you are wishing for a more substantial change. The modi multibit is a pretty noticeable and substantial change from the 4396 uber, especially for different versions of the same model, but differences between dacs are always pretty subtle. Definitely much better to my ears though. Just don't know if it will fix what you are unhappy with though. When you say you are using "2 y adapters" to connect the modi to your amps, what does this mean? It should not take adapters of any kind to connect them, just an rca cable from the analog outs of the modi to the input of whatever amp you are using. Maybe you just are using different terms? Also curious as to what the speakers, Fusion, and Modi replaced, thinking maybe just a very different sound signature requiring a big adjustment? Aside from all of that though, I absolutely love my Mimby, best $250 I have ever spent.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up returning my Emotiva B1 speakers and put my KEF q100s back into my desktop speaker setup. The KEFs don't have folded ribbon tweeters–which I might have found fatiguing–and sound just as good to my ears. I also ordered a Mimby last week and it is being delivered tomorrow. I will list my Uber 4396 on Head-Fi once the Mimby is set up.

I think you are right that maybe what I'm describing is that the sound is fatiguing. Can an audio setup sound fatiguing very soon after a listening session, or is fatigue in an audio sense usually related to longer listening sessions? Maybe some of this has to do with me sitting a few feet away from my speakers. I guess I'll reevaluate and report back once I have the Mimby in my setup.

As for the Y-adapters, I'm using Y-adapters from the stereo out of the Modi 2 in order to send the output to both a stereo speaker amplifier and also my Bottlehead Crack. I have two sets of RCA cables leaving my Modi.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,419 of 4,588
> Can an audio setup sound fatiguing very soon after a listening session, or is fatigue in an audio sense usually related to longer listening sessions?

If you feel like you're being beat up listening to anything it's fatigue. I felt this way with my Beyer T90s. The wow factor of clarity (which was substantial, I won't lie) was eventually replaced with a feeling of distaste for the virtual beating I received listening to just about anything. I've found that bluegrass music is particularly good for determining if you're going to feel fatigue. If you cue up some and immediately find it grating then something is wrong with your chain. Even if bluegrass isn't to your taste you shouldn't find the sound harsh/grating. What was intolerable on Beyer T90 is joyful on Senns HD600.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,420 of 4,588
  > Can an audio setup sound fatiguing very soon after a listening session, or is fatigue in an audio sense usually related to longer listening sessions?

If you feel like you're being beat up listening to anything it's fatigue. I felt this way with my Beyer T90s. The wow factor of clarity (which was substantial, I won't lie) was eventually replaced with a feeling of distaste for the virtual beating I received listening to just about anything. I've found that bluegrass music is particularly good for determining if you're going to feel fatigue. If you cue up some and immediately find it grating then something is wrong with your chain. Even if bluegrass isn't to your taste you shouldn't find the sound harsh/grating. What was intolerable on Beyer T90 is joyful on Senns HD600.

I've had the T90 for a few months and know exactly what you mean.  They can be punishing mostly with pop music, but every genre tends to be brighter than normal because of the elevated treble, and this can punish the ears...but of course, everyone's ear canals are different and what is intolerable to some may be fine to others. 

But I recently modded them and am no longer bothered by fatigue, in fact I can listen almost all day without feeling fatigue.  You can check the T90 thread for what I did.  I was close to selling them until I did the mod.  Also, your amp and DAC play a large part in this as well... brighter chains are going to exacerbate the T90's treble emphasis.  They are best paired with darker or neutral gear, which is why they are brilliant with my Mimby and Jotunheim. 

I had the HD600 before the T90 and it is indeed a special HP.  But it did not resolve complex classical orchestral music the way I wanted (smeared complex sections), and the T90 fixed this, and I mostly listen to classical so obviously it was a priority.  I sold the 600 but may buy them back and use them for vocal stuff.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,421 of 4,588
  I had the HD600 before the T90 and it is indeed a special HP.  But it did not resolve complex classical orchestral music the way I wanted (smeared complex sections), and the T90 fixed this, and I mostly listen to classical so obviously it was a priority.  I sold the 600 but may buy them back and use them for vocal stuff.

That's funny, I recently got the HD600 and it's the best headphone I've ever heard, and I really do like them, so maybe I should just stop here so I don't know what I'm missing?

Ignorance is truly bliss... ah but now I know about it! I'll have to try some memory repression...

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,422 of 4,588

That's funny, I recently got the HD600 and it's the best headphone I've ever heard, and I really do like them, so maybe I should just stop here so I don't know what I'm missing?

Ignorance is truly bliss... ah but know about it! I'll have to try some memory repression...

If you hear "fast sounding" speakers, especially those with ribbon tweeters, you'll realize what he meant.

Oct 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,423 of 4,588

Ignorance is truly bliss... ah but now I know about it! I'll have to try some memory repression...

Don't worry, like everything else, it's all tradeoffs. Fast transducers also sometimes drive people mad over the characteristics of minor details of the sound, especially the decay. Hell, go to planars or even stats, and you might find yourself missing aspects of dynamic driver bass too. 

Essentially, you will always have the sneaking suspicion that something that could sound better is out there somewhere, whatever you have. Recognising that what you have is "good enough" for now, and being at peace with it is the elusive trick. Avoid sidegrades of dubious value, mix and match the transducers and amps that you do own to fit your mood and what you're listening to. Use sunscreen.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,424 of 4,588

Don't worry, like everything else, it's all tradeoffs. Fast transducers also sometimes drive people mad over the characteristics of minor details of the sound, especially the decay.

That's right, sometimes too fast can just be truncated decay. And decay can be part of the musical blend of the next part of the music.

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,425 of 4,588
If i want a more mellow and natural sound, which one is better to buy? The Asgard 2 amplifier or the Modi Multibit dac? My stack is now Modi2u/Magni2u. According to my memory, my old Asgard 1 had a mellow and natural sound that i loved very much.
Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back