Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,366 of 4,588
AC= Alternating Current. Your Positive and Negative reverse or alternate.
DC= Direct Current, Positive and negative never change.

They are fundamentally different,This is not just a difference in voltage. Please do not try to run any AC Product hooked directly up to a DC source.

If you feel inclined to go down this path do not skimp on the inverter. Most cheap ones are Modified Sine wave inverters you want a pure sine wave inverter. If your inverter is good line noise may not be an issue.
Coming from a Mobile Electronics background I will say I suspect this may be an effort in futility. I do not think you will experience the MB magic the way you do at home. in cars, speakers are in awkward places like aimed at your knee caps and use crap class d amps.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,372 of 4,588
So if i only have my jotunheim now and am still waiting a week for my mimby to arrive across the globe, which cable do i need to connect the computer to the amp alone to my headphones? Thanks!

If your computer has a line out or headphone out jack, it is most likely a 3.5mm to RCA cable that you would need. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,373 of 4,588
  AC= Alternating Current. Your Positive and Negative reverse or alternate.
DC= Direct Current, Positive and negative never change.

They are fundamentally different,This is not just a difference in voltage. Please do not try to run any AC Product hooked directly up to a DC source.

If you feel inclined to go down this path do not skimp on the inverter. Most cheap ones are Modified Sine wave inverters you want a pure sine wave inverter. If your inverter is good line noise may not be an issue.
Coming from a Mobile Electronics background I will say I suspect this may be an effort in futility. I do not think you will experience the MB magic the way you do at home. in cars, speakers are in awkward places like aimed at your knee caps and use crap class d amps.

Thanks for all the info, hopefully Schiit get back to me soon, I specifically asked if it would cause damage to try powering it from a modified sine inverter and about line noise from a sine wave inverter.

It will be interesting to compare it to my current receiver, it's one of those that uses a microphone to tune the eq and timing for the interior of the car. I found it made the sound very clear, with the sound clearly in front of you, and not from the 4 separate speakers. But I'm not won over by the eq/sound quality, I have a sneaking suspicion the Modi will give more detail and dynamics even if it isn't tuned for the car.

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,376 of 4,588

1. [attach]1672203[/attach]
bigro   as there isn't a transformer (that work only with AC )in the bimby  you CAN feed the DC as the diode at is input don't have a problem .....basic elettronic

If said person does not know what a diode is or that orientation of the diode relative to the polarity dictates which works and which does not is leading that person who does not have experience with Electronics down a rabbit hole which can be dangerous and they could royally mess something up.  Basic Common sense. If you are willing to do this yourself and create a how to go for it, telling someone with no experience this path will work without any details or safety precautions is irresponsible.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,377 of 4,588
bigro as there isn't a transformer (that work only with AC )in the bimby you CAN feed the DC as the diode at is input don't have a problem .....basic elettronic

wall%20wart%20supply%20with%20load%20resistors.gif

Quite probably like this but fewer capacitors, the AC plug pack would be 16V AC for Mimby.
Typical AC plug pack powered dual rail PSU.

"basic elettronic" (sic)

edit: there is a lower voltage, higher current +ve supply as well, (probably 3.3V) for SHARC DSP and AD5547
not relevant to the AC/DC discussion

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #1,378 of 4,588
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on changing my headphone/desktop speaker setup:

Modi 2 Uber > Bottlehead Crack + Speedball > HD 650
                     > Emotiva Fusion Flex (50 watt amplifier) > Emotiva Airmotiv B1 (http://emotiva.com/products/speakers/airmotiv-b1)

I am using two RCA Y-adapters on the back of the Modi 2 Uber to send audio to my Bottlehead and Emotiva amps.

I bought my Emotiva speakers a few weeks ago, and I've been mostly listening to my speakers and not my headphones. That said, I'm noticing that music just seems too sharp or forward, although I'm not sure that's an accurate description of what I'm not liking. I like audiophile equipment and listening to music, but I don't have a sophisticated audio palate yet. I can't say for sure what I don't like, but I just don't love how things sound. Maybe I'm looking for warmer or more euphonic sound. Also, it's possible my speakers just need more time to break in. I've heard it takes about 100 hours.

When I switch to my HD 650's, things sound nice, but I still feel some of the tonal qualities present with the speakers are present with the headphones.

I play mostly Apple Lossless music through Jriver Media Center using WASAPI, so I think the only things affecting my sound quality are in my hardware audio chain.

So, this brings me to the question about my setup. Is it possible that changing my DAC would give me some kind of different results? I ordered my Modi 2 Uber in January 2016, which seems to be before Schiit started using a different chip in the unit Uber. Would going to a Mimby potentially give me a noticeably different or improved sound? I'm happy to list my Uber 2 for sale and pay the difference for a Mimby, but I don't want to do it if it won't make much of a difference.

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,380 of 4,588
Get a preamp between your Modi 2 and emotiva which should have a bigger difference than upgrading your DAC IMO.

The Emotiva Flex Fusion is an integrated amplifier. What would adding a preamp do? Also, I use an Emotiva Control Freak passive preamp (It's basically just a massive volume knob) between my Modi 2 and Amp, which allows me to set the amp at a specific volume control, and then control my volume from the separate knob. All of this happens after the Y-adapter coming from Modi, so none of that affects my headphone listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back