Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Oct 9, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,351 of 4,588
  Something interesting- my batteries died in my JDS Labs Cmoy, and I happened to have a RCA to 3.5mm Female adapter cable on hand.

I plugged my Meze Audio 99 Classic Headphones directly into the DAC, and the DAC alone easily drives the headphones to louder levels that I never use! 

Careful. The DAC output is probably not meant to drive a low impedance load.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,352 of 4,588
Where is the best on line distributer to purchase a Shiit Jot and Mimby for the best price? What cable goes from the Mimby to the Jot? Is it all balanced? Unfortunately, my Aurender server does not have optical out only USB. However, it is designed for the lowest noise USB implementation.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,353 of 4,588
Where is the best on line distributer to purchase a Shiit Jot and Mimby for the best price? What cable goes from the Mimby to the Jot? Is it all balanced? Unfortunately, my Aurender server does not have optical out only USB. However, it is designed for the lowest noise USB implementation.

Schiit.com and Schiit-europe (or schiit.eu for the UK). There is no myriad of online distributors with Schiit, the "best price" is the only price, which is the price they sell their products for. RCAs from Mimby to Jotunheim so not balanced. USB is fine in my opinion (and many others').

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #1,356 of 4,588

By the same token, I would be afraid of expectation bias if the DAC doesn't say Schiit MB on it and I'm fooled into not hearing a difference, when an audible difference is there... :)

Hah, I had negative expectation bias, due to suffering some serious buyer's remorse.. Despite that, the damn thing won me over by being well-behaved and sounding really nice for the money.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,357 of 4,588
Something weird has just happened in my system.

I am running a CD player into the Modi multibit via coax, which is feeding the Jotunheim.

Everything was fine until I put in a classical CD and when the music started there was a persistent ringing in the left channel.  The ringing would rise and fall depending on the loudness of the music, and it came mostly during higher pitched stuff.

Thinking it was my headphones, I plugged them into another source and played a variety of music and there was no ringing.  So it was not the headphones.

Trying to isolate the problem, I played some more CDs in the original setup and the ringing started happening mostly on classical CDs, but would occasionally be heard on a pop album.  So I disconnected the Modi from the CD player and plugged it into my laptop via USB cable.  Played some music from youtube and the ringing was still there, so I knew it wasn't my CD player.

Then I plugged Modi back into the CD player, then Modi into a different amp to see if it was the Jotunheim doing it.  I heard the same ringing in the second amp, so it was not the Jotunheim.  It had to be the Modi since it was the only thing that didn't change.

So I simply turned Mimby off and back on again.  No more ringing.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I think I experienced something very similar - it was only in one channel, I don't know if I call it ringing, more like constant "wuuuuuu...". I first thought it was my Vali 2 (the tube going bad most probably). I'll try to restart Modi (I was keeping it up and running for days (weeks?) ) and report back.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,358 of 4,588
I think I experienced something very similar - it was only in one channel, I don't know if I call it ringing, more like constant "wuuuuuu...". I first thought it was my Vali 2 (the tube going bad most probably). I'll try to restart Modi (I was keeping it up and running for days (weeks?) ) and report back.

Initially it started in only one channel. And ebbed and flowed with higher pitched notes in the music (wasn't constant).

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,359 of 4,588
Modi Multibit is a revolution.

The sound is addicting, and if it's true that you can't get this performance at this price anywhere else I feel the sudden need to implement a mimby for every audio source in my life!

1 for the laptop, 1 for the gaming computer, 1 for the TV... but what if you could put a sine wave inverter in the car and get mimby on the road... and you could even make a battery + inverter + mimby backpack for portable use!

Has anyone tried powering the Modi Multibit with noisy power sources? (Like a 12v inverter)
Does power line noise show up on the audio output?

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #1,361 of 4,588
  just add a 12v battery in series....

Do you mean power the Modi direct from a 12v source? Unfortunately that won't work because the Modi needs 16v AC (not DC like all batteries)

From Schiit: "Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit: Included 16VAC wall-wart with 100% linear power supply"

But actually reading it again, the fact that it has a "100% linear power supply" means it should be able to produce a constant output even if the power supply is fluctuating!
I want to try it but I think I'll email Schiit before toying with $250...

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,362 of 4,588
  Modi Multibit is a revolution.

The sound is addicting, and if it's true that you can't get this performance at this price anywhere else I feel the sudden need to implement a mimby for every audio source in my life!

1 for the laptop, 1 for the gaming computer, 1 for the TV... but what if you could put a sine wave inverter in the car and get mimby on the road... and you could even make a battery + inverter + mimby backpack for portable use!

Has anyone tried powering the Modi Multibit with noisy power sources? (Like a 12v inverter)
Does power line noise show up on the audio output?

Dang, been putting the Mimby in the cart these past couple days but haven't checked out yet.  Might finally check out the cart now.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #1,363 of 4,588
  Do you mean power the Modi direct from a 12v source? Unfortunately that won't work because the Modi needs 16v AC (not DC like all batteries)

From Schiit: "Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit: Included 16VAC wall-wart with 100% linear power supply"

But actually reading it again, the fact that it has a "100% linear power supply" means it should be able to produce a constant output even if the power supply is fluctuating!
I want to try it but I think I'll email Schiit before toying with $250...

Yes you can !  16ac(10% +/- from wall) mean that work 16x1.41= 22.5 Vdc (10%)   ,you can feed direct the Ac input  with dc   24Vdc you will lose only one volt because you have the extra diode in the psu that's all...
that 24Vdc can be a separate battery or you can in series a 12V ones with 12v of you car and recharge separately... 

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #1,364 of 4,588

Yes you can !  16ac(10% +/- from wall) mean that work 16x1.41= 22.5 Vdc (10%)   ,you can feed direct the Ac input  with dc   24Vdc you will lose only one volt because you have the extra diode in the psu that's all...
that 24Vdc can be a separate battery or you can in series a 12V ones with 12v of you car and recharge separately... 

Usually with Schiit with wallwarts the AC input is converted into +/- voltages which are regulated to +/- 15v or similar (7812/7912 for +/- 12V for Mimby's op amps) so DC in won't work, if no protection will give just one voltage rail not two - how bad that would be depends on the circuit design, but certainly wouldn't work anything like correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back