Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 31, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #901 of 4,588
Indeed - any of the Schiit mb converters function (convert digits to analog) from the get go (after a brief stabilization mode - a few seconds).

As does the Modi Multibit.  (Last time I checked, the thread topic)  Now, if you check our website, you will realize that we make no binding statements with respect to how our equipment "sounds".  Any such statements are anecdotal and impossible to prove.  I am completely willing to reveal my experience with respect to sound, even a few generalizations.  These are only my opinions, however, and YMMV.  Here are a few:  The best sounding DACs, regardless of cost, are multibit.  The more bits in the mb, the longer it takes to sound at its best.  It takes heroic design in ds converter  design.  They inherently want to sound like ass.  The above is strictly my opinion, for emphasis.  YMMV, YMMV, and YMMV.  The next three sentences are fact:  The only advantage of ds is cost/performance at the low (i.e. cell phone) end stratum.  The designs are small, low power, and cheap.  That is why we design our lower-end stuff around ds. 

My suggestion to @pkcpga
would be that, since he apparently disagrees with anecdotal-based opinions, he may be happier in the Sound Science threads where his view that converters are immediately upon power-up proper to audition may be more universally accepted.  It also may be a far better venue for his USB design philosophies.

The INL referred to is integral non-linearity.  Google it and you will find a wiki which hopefully will be helpful.

My original question before people starting comparing medical equipment was how long does it take to properly warm up a schiit multi bit? I demod one and it did sound vinyl like which to me is just ok, it was making the music very analog sounding but it just seemed to condense too many instraments in classical music for me, the timing of instraments also seemed a bit off. I was looking to use it as a home office DAC to replace my naim DAC. A lot of people seem to love them so I wanted to try one since for myself they are very reasonably or cheaply priced, compared to my chord or Linn home listening room DAC. So I was wondering if I didn't have it on for long enough to properly determine if the DAC simply had less detail and different timing than my other DACs or if it needed a longer time on. I had it for two days but the longest it remained turned on was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Just trying to determine if it's worth another listen or if that was a long enough time.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #902 of 4,588
So I was wondering if I didn't have it on for long enough to properly determine if the DAC simply had less detail and different timing than my other DACs or if it needed a longer time on. I had it for two days but the longest it remained turned on was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Just trying to determine if it's worth another listen or if that was a long enough time.

This is a pity. In Yggy's case most reported several days before the 'magic' began. Some found it distinctly grainy and rough prior to this point. Mike's advice - consistently - has been to allow a lengthy stabilzation period for the MB dacs and leave them turned on.

It may be you missed the best your demo unit had to offer. Based on my experience with Yggy I recommend another audition.

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #903 of 4,588
If any Canadians want the Modi Multibit, I see Headphonebar has them for sale now.  With shipping and tax, it's about $50 less than what it cost me to buy direct from Schiit, so definitely a good deal.

Hopefully this post isn't against the rules - I'm not associated with Headphonebar in any way and they are an authorized Schiit dealer.

Yes that is a good deal. I paid the equivalent of that when converted to Cdn $. I ordered and had it shipped to the hotel that we were staying at when we vacationed in the U.S. last week. Brought it back avoiding taxes and brokerage fees.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #904 of 4,588
My original question before people starting comparing medical equipment was how long does it take to properly warm up a schiit multi bit? I demod one and it did sound vinyl like which to me is just ok, it was making the music very analog sounding but it just seemed to condense too many instraments in classical music for me, the timing of instraments also seemed a bit off. I was looking to use it as a home office DAC to replace my naim DAC. A lot of people seem to love them so I wanted to try one since for myself they are very reasonably or cheaply priced, compared to my chord or Linn home listening room DAC. So I was wondering if I didn't have it on for long enough to properly determine if the DAC simply had less detail and different timing than my other DACs or if it needed a longer time on. I had it for two days but the longest it remained turned on was about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Just trying to determine if it's worth another listen or if that was a long enough time.

I have had the Modi MultiiBit for three weeks, and it has never been off yet. Break in is  real and as has already been explained takes time. What you are describing  is not what the DAC sounds like at all. Try 24 hours or more, if it still sounds like you are saying you have other issues with your system.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #906 of 4,588
I let someone borrow my mimby for 2 days and I have it back now. While my mimby was out, in it's place I put in my Bifrost 4490 to fill in. I cannot believe how obvious the difference is to me now. It's like real instruments vs grainy empty **** (not Schiit). Needless to say, the Bifrost is now scheduled for a multibit upgrade even though I just got it 2 months ago. Live and learn. I love the way this sounds though, and that I've definitely learned.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #907 of 4,588

Look, everyone here, even the designer, tells you that they think these multibit DACs sound better after a period of temperature stabilization that is longer for the deeper bit depth models. You can choose to believe them or not. But arguing about why it might be so, or whether it is so for some medical instrumentation, seems to be wasteful of your time and ours. In my personal experience as the owner of a Bifrost Multibit (Bimby), it sounded quite a bit better after a day of warmup, and I never turn mine off unless I'm away for a substantial length of time. I listen to a lot of ensemble and orchestral recorded music through the Bimby, both classical and jazz, and I'm lucky to also listen to a lot of the same types of music and same compositions live, often played by the same artists. The Bimby gives me good instrument separation except in some poor recordings, and timing is as close to live performance as I can discern, so I can only imagine that the higher-end multibit models would improve this further (waiting for some fully balanced amplification for my two systems to consider upgrades to balanced Schiit DACs). But I follow the "keep it warm" rule, it costs me little and it gives me a lot of musical pleasure for a ridiculously low-priced DAC. If you don't like the warm-up rule, there are plenty of other DACs on the market that you can waste splurge your money on.

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #909 of 4,588
In the main website Modi Multibit said it using AD5547 dac chip similar to Bifrost Multibit, Today i received mine but in the manual it write AD5545 DAC. Now im confused. Can anyone explain?

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #910 of 4,588
anybody have trouble installing windows 10 drivers on the multibit?
I can't get it to install the windows 10 driver, when installing I get the "Please connect the CMEDIA...", can never get past this. I tried 3 PCs and 4 different USB cables.
However version 1.03 driver will install.
I have a Modi Uber 4490 and the windows 10 driver install just fine, I contacted Schiit and I am waiting for what they say.

Thanks

Got my Mimby today and am facing driver installation problems on Win XP.

I also get the "Please connect the CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device" message. Click the "OK" a few times, get the same message and finally the install will abort saying "CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now."

Any idea how to overcome this? I'm using the Pyst USB cable to connect my PC to the Mimby.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #911 of 4,588

Got my Mimby today and am facing driver installation problems on Win XP.

I also get the "Please connect the CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device" message. Click the "OK" a few times, get the same message and finally the install will abort saying "CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device does not exist, the installation program will be terminated now."

Any idea how to overcome this? I'm using the Pyst USB cable to connect my PC to the Mimby.

1) go the device manager, find your Schiit device, and manually update driver from there.
2) indicate that you want to choose the location of the driver.
3) go to \<Location of your driver>\Schiit_USB_Gen2_1_16\XP\SoftwareDriver\Driver. you should select CMAUCWO.inf.
4) click a few Nexts to finish the driver update.

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #913 of 4,588
  Great! waited 3 hours plugged in my headphones and all I get is the song with a loud static hiss, like a radio that has not been fully tuned in!

Tried both USB & Optical via my macbook and audirvana.

I have emailed Nick but has anybody also had this problem?

Did you try power cycling it?
It'll still stay warmed up if you just turn it off for 2 seconds

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #915 of 4,588
  Just got my Magni 2 Uber & Modi Multibit to replace my Chord Mojo, leaving the DAC to warm 3 hours before first listen!

Has anyone tried the AudioQuest Jitterbug with this DAC?  Rob Watts was saying it helps a lot with USB mains noise on the Mojo & Dave?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

I don't have any USB noise but I tried the Jitterbug with my Bimby to see if it would make a difference in SQ (not that I think it is missing anything as is). It did make a difference. It really sucked 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back