Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Aug 31, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #886 of 4,588
  There is no point for this discussion. Medical equipment will work right after it is turned on. Shiit DACs are working too right after they are turned on = generating sound. Only difference is that audio gear is sensitive to chip temperature(DAC sounds good or not as good :) )  and Medical equipment is not.

But doesn´t that imply that the DAC when "cold" is not generating the correct waveforms? That would mean that medical equipment also has slight errors in its analogue output.

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #887 of 4,588
  There is no point for this discussion. Medical equipment will work right after it is turned on. Shiit DACs are working too right after they are turned on = generating sound. Only difference is that audio gear is sensitive to chip temperature(DAC sounds good or not as good :) )  and Medical equipment is not.

Agreed.  I think pkcpga's point is that DS DACs don't need time to warm up, so why does multibit have to warm up.  On account of they do...

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #888 of 4,588
  But doesn´t that imply that the DAC when "cold" is not generating the correct waveforms? That would mean that medical equipment also has slight errors in its analogue output.

It would appear as though they have that worked out.  We're  talking about audio electronics versus medical.  Big difference in the value of the relative markets, and HUGE difference in how much it matters

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #890 of 4,588
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #891 of 4,588
Just for the record, even new MRI machines' magnets do not get shut down even if their analysis computer does.

Warming the magnet causes the liquid helium to vent and requires a service call to the manufacturer to get it restarted.

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #892 of 4,588
If any Canadians want the Modi Multibit, I see Headphonebar has them for sale now.  With shipping and tax, it's about $50 less than what it cost me to buy direct from Schiit, so definitely a good deal.

Hopefully this post isn't against the rules - I'm not associated with Headphonebar in any way and they are an authorized Schiit dealer.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #893 of 4,588
As Much As I hate to Feed this, Does all medical Equipment that use a DAC have to use MB DACs or can they use other Variants of DAC's?

It is not the DSP which needs to thermally stabilize.  It is the DAC chip which needs to settle into its INL spec.  Regret the slow comment; I have been distracted by the Schiit Show.

Not that Mike needs any Backup from me and my limited Knowledge of DAC's. The 5547Cruz Datasheet states

"REFERENCE SELECTION
When selecting a reference for use with the
AD5428/
AD5440
/AD5447 series of current output DACs, pay
attention to the reference’s output voltage temperature coefficient
specification. This parameter not only affects the full-scale error,
but can also affect the linearity (INL and DNL) performance. The
reference temperature coefficient should be consistent with the
system accuracy specifications."

See Page 20 Under Reference Selection  http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5428_5440_5447.pdf

Clearly a longer version of what Mike Has stated. I will take my recommendations from someone who has been designing and building DAC's For as long as I have been on this earth and clearly is not trying to pull the wool over any ones eyes with unsubstantiated data or hear say. This is direct from the manufacturer.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #894 of 4,588
  As Much As I hate to Feed this, Does all medical Equipment that use a DAC have to use MB DACs or can they use other Variants of DAC's?

I guess it's all driven by the requirements. I'm sure there are certain medical/military applications where using D/S DACs is perfectly acceptable.

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #895 of 4,588

Mike has mentioned on several occasions that DS isn't sufficiently accurate for medical/military applications, because it may generate 'missing codes'. Only R2R ladders can yield output with no missing codes. I recall Analog Devices told Mike that AD5791 (used in Yggdrasil) wasn't suited for audio because it was 'too precise' for the application...

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #896 of 4,588
So:  Happy Modi Multibit camper here.

I previously had enjoyed the absolute Schiit out of a Gungnir Multibit regularly for about six months in a good, balanced two channel setup (primarily, but also wired to a somewhat nearby Asgard 2).  I wanted to take most the summer off (for the first time since 2002) from working, so I unfortunately had to sell a bunch of stuff to facilitate that.  For several weeks I was using the DAC in my CA home theatre receiver, as well as a Pono Player (single ended).  While the latter was doing a very decent job, I still very much missed the absolute magic the 'Gumby' brought.  (Okay, and the nice preamp I had.)  I recently picked up the Modi Multibit–which I plan to give to my dad this weekend as part of an office stereo system that I've been piecing together for his birthday–and my goodness!  It gives a solid taste of the magic that the Gumby produced; that non-digital-y, non delta-sigma-y, much more analogue-y sound.  It's so nice and holographic, detailed, yet smooth.

I'm going to pick up one for myself to use in the living room, which I'll later use in a bedroom setup, once I can afford a Yggdrasil.  It's pretty wild how good this thing sounds.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #897 of 4,588
  So:  Happy Modi Multibit camper here.

I previously had enjoyed the absolute Schiit out of a Gungnir Multibit regularly for about six months in a good, balanced two channel setup (primarily, but also wired to a somewhat nearby Asgard 2).  I wanted to take most the summer off (for the first time since 2002) from working, so I unfortunately had to sell a bunch of stuff to facilitate that.  For several weeks I was using the DAC in my CA home theatre receiver, as well as a Pono Player (single ended).  While the latter was doing a very decent job, I still very much missed the absolute magic the 'Gumby' brought.  (Okay, and the nice preamp I had.)  I recently picked up the Modi Multibit–which I plan to give to my dad this weekend as part of an office stereo system that I've been piecing together for his birthday–and my goodness!  It gives a solid taste of the magic that the Gumby produced; that non-digital-y, non delta-sigma-y, much more analogue-y sound.  It's so nice and holographic, detailed, yet smooth.

I'm going to pick up one for myself to use in the living room, which I'll later use in a bedroom setup, once I can afford a Yggdrasil.  It's pretty wild how good this thing sounds.

You Are making it very difficult for me to keep my booger picker off the Buy Button.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #898 of 4,588
I can tell you in the medical field their are no chips used that require more than a couple seconds to be fully functional. My wife works as a physician in the surgical field with robotic surgery and she stated if an emergency happens all equipment needs to be able to be transported set up and turned on in a very short time so a chip that requires 2 hours to work properly would not be used. And it sounds more like the programming needs to run its course more than the chip and the complex programming verse equipment capability of running it, forces the DAC to get bogged down and requires time to be fully functional.

Indeed - any of the Schiit mb converters function (convert digits to analog) from the get go (after a brief stabilization mode - a few seconds).

My chord Dave runs the same from a minute after I turn it on or wether it has been running for hours so the technology is available in DACs as well.

As does the Modi Multibit.  (Last time I checked, the thread topic)  Now, if you check our website, you will realize that we make no binding statements with respect to how our equipment "sounds".  Any such statements are anecdotal and impossible to prove.  I am completely willing to reveal my experience with respect to sound, even a few generalizations.  These are only my opinions, however, and YMMV.  Here are a few:  The best sounding DACs, regardless of cost, are multibit.  The more bits in the mb, the longer it takes to sound at its best.  It takes heroic design in ds converter  design.  They inherently want to sound like ass.  The above is strictly my opinion, for emphasis.  YMMV, YMMV, and YMMV.  The next three sentences are fact:  The only advantage of ds is cost/performance at the low (i.e. cell phone) end stratum.  The designs are small, low power, and cheap.  That is why we design our lower-end stuff around ds. 

My suggestion to @pkcpga would be that, since he apparently disagrees with anecdotal-based opinions, he may be happier in the Sound Science threads where his view that converters are immediately upon power-up proper to audition may be more universally accepted.  It also may be a far better venue for his USB design philosophies.
  Sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean by "settle into it's INL spec"?
According to the AD5547 datasheet, the operating temperature is -40C  to +125C

The INL referred to is integral non-linearity.  Google it and you will find a wiki which hopefully will be helpful.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 31, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #899 of 4,588

The best sounding DACs, regardless of cost, are multibit. 

From what I've heard so far, and that's just the mimby, is this is dead on. I love the multibit sound. The mimby makes the instruments sound like themselves, hard to put into words really. Last night I was listening and really enjoying the sounds, heck, things were sounding punchy, full of tone. I love multibit, and can't wait to hear a gumby and a yggy someday. We were having a music night last Saturday and we were wondering, if the mimby sounds this good, how much better can it get? How much better is the yggy? Can't wait to find out! Anyway, back to the mimby, it's a great piece of gear, and highly recommended, IMO.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #900 of 4,588
Nothing beats a precise AND accurate DAC for phase coherency, which tends to mean the phycoacoustic properties are optimized.  In other words, live music sounds way better.  Other stuff is more accurate but not as pronounced improvement (except perhaps just from coming from a cruddy DAC in other respects).  Multibit for life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back